Mathound

2011 State Tournament Will Be @ Frankfort Again

So it was announced that the KHSAA was 100% sure the tournament would be held at Frankfort Convention Center again next year. They were accepting bids for 2011 but they mentioned that the Convention Center was looking very likely.

What do you think? Suggestions?

I love the atmosphere, but I really think we need to have more mats (at least 6) and more breaks between rounds! I saw at least 3 or 4 injuries occur simply because there was not enough room around the mat (Harlow ran into the steel bars, Lee slammed onto the hardwood, and a couple other wrestlers landed on the hard wood).

Concessions... don't even get me started, there's already a whole other thread for that!

I think another place would be good and go to two days with 6 mats.  But there aren't many places that would hold the mats and then the rental of it is always a cost problem and very few cities that could hold that many people in hotels.

How about the place at the KY Horse Park?  That was suggested at the coaches meeting.  How big is it?  How much would it cost?  If it could hold six mats then it could be made into a 2 day tournament... I think.

Someone needs to take a look into padding the concrete "curb" that circles the floor. In my opinion, this "curb" has the potential of causing serious injury to wrestlers if they were to fall on it. It does have some padding, but the area padded is very small. So someone is aware that the potential to injury does indeed exist.

How about the place at the KY Horse Park?  That was suggested at the coaches meeting.  How big is it?  How much would it cost?  If it could hold six mats then it could be made into a 2 day tournament... I think.

Yeah the Horse Park was mentioned... I think it'd be an awesome location. It's a $36 million dollar arena and seats 6k people.

Here's some pics

maybe its just me, but i love it being in frankfort. i've been attending the State Tournament since 1999, and i can't imagine it being anywhere else. think about the atmosphere during saturday, the pre-finals hoopla party, and how awesome the arena is during finals. The Civic Center may have it's draw-backs, but when it comes to finals, and the atmosphere period, its the best arena around.

I don't think the tournament should move from Frankfort. The only place I can really think of the US Bank Arena in northern Kentucky, but people from the southern part of the state wouldn't like that long of a trek north.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Frankfort pretty central for everybody?

What about Freedom Hall, they will be looking for business in the very near future. Plenty of hotels and places to eat and a facility that will hold as many mats as you like.

That would be too big in my opinion...a better location in Louisville would be broadbent arena.  It seats like 10-12 thousand I believe but could still hold 6 mats I think. 

What about Freedom Hall, they will be looking for business in the very near future. Plenty of hotels and places to eat and a facility that will hold as many mats as you like.

Freedom Hall is NOT looking for any business.  The reason that U of L wanted their own arena is that Freedom Hall is booked 365 days per year with several events running at one time.  U of L could not get in there for games in November or February because of horse shows and tractor shows.

If you take it back to a 16 man bracket you don't need more mats.  They added 16 more people to pay for the convention center.  Its all to get the dollar bill out of your pocket.  Yes its a great place to host but guess what....  we can't afford it.  So then I guess we do without. 

It wasn't taken to a 32 man bracket to pay for the center.  It was done to try and up the sport(right or wrong is another story).  I don't think they would have a problem with it being 2 day tournament, actually khsaa and the individual school systems want that so one less day of school is missed.  But the facility can't hold more than 4 mats so it has to be 3 days.  If a cheap facility was found that could hold 6 mats I think you would find it going to 2 days real quick.

If you take it back to a 16 man bracket you don't need more mats.  They added 16 more people to pay for the convention center.  Its all to get the dollar bill out of your pocket.  Yes its a great place to host but guess what....  we can't afford it.  So then I guess we do without. 

EKU's Alumni Hall would be a great place. It can hold 6 mats, it has a larger seating capacity, still centrally located, and experienced area for holding tournaments (All-A Classic). The cost may not be too high due to the exposure the University would get. Richmond has tons of restaurants and hotels and is easily accesible right off of I-75. Just a thought.

Not sure leaving Frankfort is the best idea, however:

-- New arena at NKU (the Bank of Kentucky Center). Beautiful. Plenty of hotels and restaurants. And in a wrestling-loving area:

bokc-night2.jpgbokcenterbowl21.jpg

-- New area in Corbin. Area is wrestling crazy, and being in a smaller area, they may go all-out to showcase a big-time event. Drawback is travel for most teams. Not many great hotels and restaurants.

Corbin+Arena.pngCorbin+Arena_outside.png

-- Pikeville (East KY Expo Center). Travel would be an issue for a lot of folks, same as hotels and restaurant availability.

1.jpg

-- Broadbent or Kentucky International Convention Center. Going to Louisville would be closer for a lot of teams, and no shortage of hotels and restaurants. Moving back to Louisville would increase media coverage (especially by the four major TV stations in Louisville). Freedom Hall would be way too big (it would feel empty). Broadbent is older (much like Frankfort). And the Louisvillle Gardens is older too, but is plenty big enough and would give the tourney an old-time feel.

-- New Horsepark Arena or Memorial Coliseum at UK. Lexington is decent wrestling area. Plenty of hotels, restaurants and media coverage. Fairly centrally located. Rupp would be way too big.

I have seen the venue in Corbin and it is really nice. I do not agree with putting the state in 2 days, but the 6 mats would be the main priority. I came from Tennessee where 6 mats covered the UTC Arena and did great. KY had just over 4K fans watching the tourny. I think Corbin would be the best fit. I know it is all about $$$$.

Consessions............I think I can speak for everyone in the state that it was bad.

the civic center in frankfort is free for the state tournament so if it is moved to another location and the khsaa has to pay then expect ticket prices to increase

maybe its just me, but i love it being in frankfort. i've been attending the State Tournament since 1999, and i can't imagine it being anywhere else. think about the atmosphere during saturday, the pre-finals hoopla party, and how awesome the arena is during finals. The Civic Center may have it's draw-backs, but when it comes to finals, and the atmosphere period, its the best arena around.

I agree

Ive got to call it like it is here boys, it comes down to money. 4 mats at State??? Really. The first day is a joke, its so drawn out and things take forever.

In my opinion what is good for the sport of wrestling in KY is not being done and actions to make it better aren't either. Ive read other post on KY wrestling moving forward in the state. OK a few kids travel and go places and those are the kids that come back and dominate in KY.  There is still a select group of middle schools and high school that excel above others and its pretty much been the same ones and will continue to be.

Third, again in my opinion, taking away district region state weakened our state tournament and lowered the level of competition. Make it like it was earning your way to state instead of just handing out free rides cause there aren't enough kids to fill the bracket. Idk, theres a lot to fix here and I feel nothing is being done to take strides forward, maybe just maybe a snails pace if your lucky. 

I think it's funny how everyone is worried about advancing the sport in KY...it is farther than it was 15 years ago, but is never going to get to the likes of Indiana, Ohio, Florida, etc.  There just are not that many kids in high school for one compared to those states and not as many schools.  The upper level kids are getting better in KY there is no doubt about that and I think that other schools are better than what they used to be too.  If state is 2 days or 3 days it makes no difference to the quality of the wrestlers that win it.  If you go back to district, region, state it wouldn't advance the sport in this state any, it would be a minor decision that noone outside of the state would even care or notice!  If it gets a few more kids to participate because they stand a chance to go to state then good.  What if football went to only 3 divisions for schools, do you think it would affect the quality of the top teams that win state...no.  But it would make a few schools not stand a chance to be able to compete for a state title because they are in a division with some powerhouses.  When it comes down to it, the way to advance the sport in this state is to try and keep all the kids that graduate involved in the sport by either, refereeing, coaching and continue to compete.  It would be good if more youth teams could get started in different parts of the state, that is where you will start to see the advancement of the sport, not with high school.  By then it is too late.  Just my .02

Ive got to call it like it is here boys, it comes down to money. 4 mats at State??? Really. The first day is a joke, its so drawn out and things take forever.

In my opinion what is good for the sport of wrestling in KY is not being done and actions to make it better aren't either. Ive read other post on KY wrestling moving forward in the state. OK a few kids travel and go places and those are the kids that come back and dominate in KY.  There is still a select group of middle schools and high school that excel above others and its pretty much been the same ones and will continue to be.

Third, again in my opinion, taking away district region state weakened our state tournament and lowered the level of competition. Make it like it was earning your way to state instead of just handing out free rides cause there aren't enough kids to fill the bracket. Idk, theres a lot to fix here and I feel nothing is being done to take strides forward, maybe just maybe a snails pace if your lucky. 

EKU's Alumni Hall would be a great place. It can hold 6 mats, it has a larger seating capacity, still centrally located, and experienced area for holding tournaments (All-A Classic). The cost may not be too high due to the exposure the University would get. Richmond has tons of restaurants and hotels and is easily accessible right off of I-75. Just a thought.

It's Alumni Coliseum, but yes Savage it is a far superior venue than Frankfort. The main floor can hold 6 mats and they have an auxiliary gym that is just as big. It would be perfect for warm up. the seating is elevated so there isn't a problem with sight lines to a mat.

It has been mentioned before to go there.  The problems that were previous stated were the cost to rent it, current rent is free, and some stated there weren't enough hotels in the area that would be able to support it.  Another was that the high school that does all the running for the tickets, is franklin county? not sure.  They wouldn't be there to do it since it wasn't their city so who would take that over?  Is there a high school near EKU that has wrestling?

It's Alumni Coliseum, but yes Savage it is a far superior venue than Frankfort. The main floor can hold 6 mats and they have an auxiliary gym that is just as big. It would be perfect for warm up. the seating is elevated so there isn't a problem with sight lines to a mat.

It has been mentioned before to go there.  The problems that were previous stated were the cost to rent it, current rent is free, and some stated there weren't enough hotels in the area that would be able to support it.  Another was that the high school that does all the running for the tickets, is franklin county? not sure.  They wouldn't be there to do it since it wasn't their city so who would take that over?  Is there a high school near EKU that has wrestling?

Madison Central has wrestling. I'm not sure but Wes (old PLD coach) was down there as the head coach.