Sign in to follow this  
yacmed

MS State is cancelled for tomorrow Feb. 6th

Here's a thought - put your children in your car and you drive them to your child's tournament that your child has earned a right to be at. So if your family decides that one inch of snow makes the roads too dangerous for travel, you can stay home. Some of us want to WRESTLE and will do whatever it takes to get to Elizabethtown and back - Safely!

dog10, what a poor excuse you gave for HSC superintendent and its board.  Bad weather had been reported sent Monday. If the superintendent had a bus accident early this year which cause her to have liability issues then she should have had the descent to notify the middle school wrestling president of her situation thus, this could have been avoided.

Second, the superintendent did not make the decision to cancel the event for the safety of the kids. She made the decision to

Face it. bad call, PERIOD

from the stand point from  wanting to see the kids wrestle I agree. from the stand point of HCS probably not. remember the HSC supt main and over raiding duty is to protect the HCS.  If she saw that by letting this happen it could  the school system in some type of legal jeopardy it was her absolute duty to cancel.

I also agree that it should have been called sooner. If you want to stop this from occurring again you are going to have to take it to a venue that is not connected with a school. NO school will put themselves in  legal harm for a non school event. 

for those who have been posting the weather for the elizabethtown area: the call to cancel the event was made when the NOAA (which is the forcast most schools in this area. i live in the etown area when i'm not in BG for school) weather ppl were calling for ice in addition to 1-3 inches of snow. i know its changed since then, as i've been watching the weather as well. but with that said, the decision to cancel was made when ice WAS in the forcast for the area.

One question - what are the rental arrangements  to use the central Hardin gym?

unless it has changed recently, ch always kept concessions, and i think they split the gate.  it was a very reasonable deal, and central hardin has always done a great job.  coach pike and his gang handled a lot of the coordination of things.

in my opinion, the KSWA should reschedule for next weekend, maybe on Sunday, and wrestle it with whoever shows up.  if a h.s. coach tells his 8th grade 103 lbs kid he can't wrestle in it, that's their call.  unless the kid is a serious contender to make the podium in frankfort, i don't think you should keep them from wrestling at m.s. state, but to each his own.  my heart goes out to a lot of these 8th graders that have busted their tails for the past few years....taken their lumps... for their shot at the gold to have it taken away like this is terrible. 

I agree with Pioneer.  There are not many kids in the state who could place in both middle school and high school.  There comes a time in life when you must make a tough decision this is one of them.  Three weeks is a long time to wait for state.  Lets get it done.

First let me say I wish that MS State was going to happen 6 Feb 1010 at Central Hardin HS.

Now when Mrs. Johnston made the decision that Central Hardin HS couldn't hold it,  I hope that it was based on the weather.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ky/elizabethtown/42701/city-weather-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipchg=1

There is a weather advisory for the E-town area and just based on this I can see canceling it from her point of view (there was a call for ice, but if you read the the advisory * MAIN IMPACT: SNOW WILL CAUSE ROADS TO BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS.. )

Some of the things that are being said on this form is not people are mad, OK it s**ks. Instead of complaining now that it will not happen 6 Feb, my ? would be how to make it happen this year. Who has a gym/the people to run it (please contact the Kentucky State Wrestling Association (Middle School) http://kyswa.org/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx) Then what needs to be done to make sure it happen next year regardless of (weather, fire, tornado ect...). Become a member of the kyswa or go to their meetings and let them know your thoughts on how things could be done. I am not trying to belittle anyone and yes some of the things being said are ignorant. The Safety of the all involved should be #1, although some might have other opinions as to weather it should have been called off.  Mrs. Johnston made the call, and now we have to deal with it.

Now I will open another can of worms, is North Hardin still going to Mustang Classic? Is any other Hardin Co. school going to events 6 Feb? As of when I started writing this NHHS was still going and I think this puts Mrs. Johnston in a bad situation that she must answer to why MS state at CHHS was told no, but NHHS was OK to travel. :-o

Now I will open another can of worms, is North Hardin still going to Mustang Classic? Is any other Hardin Co. school going to events 6 Feb? As of when I started writing this NHHS was still going and I think this puts Mrs. Johnston in a bad situation that she must answer to why MS state at CHHS was told no, but NHHS was OK to travel. :-o

It is true that we have not been told no yet. I think this was done to appease ME, but i must wait for a call at 3 am for the word. This word does notcome from the superintendent. It comes from the person in charge of the Bus Garage. As much as i am sorry Central got cancelled because our team was affected too, and we are right down the street, i am still hopeful we get the go.

It is true that we have not been told no yet. I think this was done to appease ME, but i must wait for a call at 3 am for the word. This word does notcome from the superintendent. It comes from the person in charge of the Bus Garage. As much as i am sorry Central got cancelled because our team was affected too, and we are right down the street, i am still hopeful we get the go.

As the rest of the folks reading this will be thinking, does this look/sound right to you?

Comments from the KSWA in regard to the cancellation have been posted on the main page of the Association website. 

This is how we communicate in addition to numerous emails that are sent to coaches. 

The assocition does not use this forum and rarely checks comments here.  I was asked to post the link because of comments made in this posting.

www.kyswa.org

KSWA

Comments from the KSWA in regard to the cancellation have been posted on the main page of the Association website. 

This is how we communicate in addition to numerous emails that are sent to coaches. 

The assocition does not use this forum and rarely checks comments here.  I was asked to post the link because of comments made in this posting.

www.kyswa.org

KSWA

How can I post my thoughts on your site?

As the rest of the folks reading this will be thinking, does this look/sound right to you?

In charge of Bus Garage vs. In charge of schools, two different enmities.

In charge of Bus Garage vs. In charge of schools, two different enmities.

So someone says NO to MS state, but someone else (as of now) says it's OK for NHHS? Someone thinks we must save the MS's, someone else thinks it's OK to take a chance with  the HS's.  I have nothing against NHHS, who is in charge/of what? I have nothing to say about MS being cancelled, not my call. Whoever made that call has some explaining to do for not canceling other Hardin schools events.

ive been involved in much bigger events than this and there is always a contingency plan for whatever may happen. communication is the key. there is no reason a weather forecast that was given five days ago was not taken into consideration and a back up plan devised. this is my first year of involvement with middle school wrestling and am glad it will be my last because this is how it has been all year.  our coach doesnt get information until the last minute. very disorganized bunch of folks.  i just drove half way across the state in nothing more than a drizzle of rain and in some areas not even that. reading some of the posts on this and other sites really clears a lot of things up and raises questions in others. chhs gets to keep all the concessions and half the gate? thats a really good deal for them, seems the wealth should be shared in other venues, independent venues since this is an independent run organization and there are clubs that have no school affiliations. i understand the decision to cancel is for safety and liability and blah blah blah and it was this board or that superintendents decision, but the bottom line is poor planning and communication, glad i didnt drive all the way to etown and check into my room cause im sure i could find a lawyer to take that lawsuit for making me drive all the way there for no reason and help me recoup my financial losses and the anguish of travel i would have incurred. im surprised we even have these tournaments and competition anyway because somebody has to lose and the prevailing thought in society is that is negative, we cant have losers everyone must be a winner. im just glad to see some of us in society have not fallen into this pansy attitude.

Nannette.Johnston@Hardin.kyschools.us

Heres a suggestion- The above is a link to Nannette Johnston's email address.  She is the Hardin County Schools Superintendent who cancelled the tournament.  Email Mrs. Johnston your complaints.  I will.  Send her a copy of your hotel bill, gas receipts, and a picture of your kids disappointed faces (obviously kidding about that part).  Additionally ask her for an explanation as to why she could cancel this tournament based on weather conditions and still allow her high school kids to travel in a county bus on the same hazardous roads on the same day.  I doubt she will reply. 

So someone says NO to MS state, but someone else (as of now) says it's OK for NHHS? Someone thinks we must save the MS's, someone else thinks it's OK to take a chance with  the HS's.  I have nothing against NHHS, who is in charge/of what? I have nothing to say about MS being cancelled, not my call. Whoever made that call has some explaining to do for not canceling other Hardin schools events.

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill. We haven't been told anything yet, and if I'm correct, we probably won't. If we do get to go, then you will have a point, and can complain. But right now you are arguing about something that hasn't happened !!! I hope your day is better tomorrow and not in a argumentative mood as you are tonight.

In fact if i really thought we were going, i wouldn't still be up reading your posts.

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill. We haven't been told anything yet, and if I'm correct, we probably won't. If we do get to go, then you will have a point, and can complain. But right now you are arguing about something that hasn't happened !!! I hope your day is better tomorrow and not in a argumentative mood as you are tonight.

[/quote

MY POINT is that a decision about your teams status has NOT BEEN MADE AS OF YET and a decision about our teams status HAS BEEN MADE eventhough we are talking about our teams competing on the same day!  I am not argumentative, I am highly disappointed.  And I fully suggest everyone email Mrs. Johnston to express their concerns.  Dont be so quick to judge and or defend]

MY POINT is that a decision about your teams status has NOT BEEN MADE AS OF YET and a decision about our teams status HAS BEEN MADE eventhough we are talking about our teams competing on the same day!  I am not argumentative, I am highly disappointed.  And I fully suggest everyone email Mrs. Johnston to express their concerns.  Dont be so quick to judge and or defend]

Trust me, the decision has been made. they just haven't told me yet.

Nannette.Johnston@Hardin.kyschools.us

Heres a suggestion- The above is a link to Nannette Johnston's email address.  She is the Hardin County Schools Superintendent who cancelled the tournament.  Email Mrs. Johnston your complaints.  I will.  Send her a copy of your hotel bill, gas receipts, and a picture of your kids disappointed faces (obviously kidding about that part).  Additionally ask her for an explanation as to why she could cancel this tournament based on weather conditions and still allow her high school kids to travel in a county bus on the same hazardous roads on the same day.  I doubt she will reply.

I do believe that I posted her email first. :-D My remarks are based on the facts as I know them, the roads were suppose to get bad the same as last week when HS state duals were called off. It was called off, I can live with that and wish there was plan B. I brought up the fact that the NHHS was still planning on hitting the road in the morning, and said it was wrong. The problem of no plan B S**KS for everyone involved in KY MS wrestling. A bigger problem for everyone in Hardin Co. is who is responsible for the safety of all the Hardin Co. students?  :-o

Trust me, the decision has been made. they just haven't told me yet.

So to make matters worse your kids, their parents and North Oldham HS thinks you will be there in there in the morning and you will not be allowed, but no one has told you the HS coach? Just digging deeper if you ask me.

I agree that she made a bad decision but don't blame her for that' she has to look out for her school and everyone attending an event at one of the Hardin county schools. One problem i have (from what i been told) is that she wasn't willing to work with the KYSWA officers and Central Hardin Wrestling to come up with a solution to the problem. She shot them down and would not work with them on having the state tournament tomorrow. In business you have to be willing to make tough calls and she should have sat down with the people running the tournament and find a reasonable solution to the snow/ice problem. What should have been done is the state tournament should not have been canceled, every one was able to make it here last night. The tournament should have been put on hold until Saturday afternoon when everything would have been cleared off and the liability for the school would have been minimal at best. If everything was still in bad shape then it should have been canceled but then she could have said she tried but it didn't work out. Then each school would have had to make the call on wether to take a chance on coming the night before and spending money on hotel rooms or waiting to come up late the next morning. Either way the heat would have been off her and her school system if she would have worked with everyone involved.

I run a business and have to make tough decision's all the time. Some times they work out and sometimes they don't, but i always ask lot of question's and listen to everyone with an open mind, then i make the decision and hope for the best.

Everyone needs to remember it is not about who was right or who was wrong, it is about what is best for the kids and everyone involved. I am sure that the Superintendant,KYSWA Officers, Central Hardin Wrestling Cluband all coaches wrestlers and parents around the state have learned a lesson from all that has gone on and hopfully the next time cooler heads will prevail. It is easy to play the blame game but very seldom has anyone ever learned anything from being right you only learn from your mistakes thats life.

Am i disappointed yep, we have five eight graders this year and all of them had a shot at winning a state title plus our team was going for a fourth strait state championship and my son made it to state in his first try as a fourth grader. Yes i am extremely disappointed but i also hope we can still have it even if it is the week after the high school state tournament.

One thing about having state next weekend. From what i have been told if any wrestler has wrestled at least one match for there high school team they can not wrestle any other matches while the high school is having there post season tournaments unless they are wresting for there high school team. So they would be ineligible to wrestle next weekend even if its on sunday. This is the KHSAA rule and it would knock a lot of kids out of the state tournament if it is held next weekend. We would have to wait till the week after the High School State Tournament to have middle school state or a lot of the kids wresting from 96 through 230 would be intelligible. That is what i have been told.

So to make matters worse your kids, their parents and North Oldham HS thinks you will be there in there in the morning and you will not be allowed, but no one has told you the HS coach? Just digging deeper if you ask me.

As I thought. NH is not going anywhere. It would have been a great end of season tournament for the kids and i was truly hoping for a go. but the worst thing for me is missing the hospitality room!!!! What a bummer. lol