Sign in to follow this  
yacmed

MS State is cancelled for tomorrow Feb. 6th

The tournament is independent so the tournament should be held in an independent venue.

It is unfortunate that we were not able to wrestle this weekend but I think we should probably wait and see what kind of weather e-town gets before we burn anyone at the stake.

alright folks, to clear this up: the Hardin County BOE (Board of Ed) Canceled the tournament. They are calling for 2 inches of snow tonight in addition to ICE in this area. Then, we are suppossedly getting an additional inch of snow tomorrow. it is the ICE that caused the cancelation. i'm upset as well, as i drove in from bowling green to officiate the tournament, and this was paying for my gas to and from frankfort in 2 weeks, where i will once again be assisting with the announcing by providing the stats and top match-ups. if you want to be mad, be mad at the HCBOE, not Central Hardin, who does a better job than any venue i've ever been to for a tournament, including the KHSAA State Tournament at the Civic Center in Frankfort.

I wonder if this had been a State Tournament for basketball if we would be having this discussion.  Probably not!!  I know how hard my son and his fellow teammates have worked.  So, I hope that the Superintendent of that school loses a night sleep for every drop of sweat and every pound lost for every wrestler in this state(consecutively and not concurrently).  I hope that the phone rings off of the hook, the emails crash their entire network and that the bad publicity NEVER ceases for that Superintendent.  I hope that Superintendent NEVER attains another hope or dream for as long as he/she draws breath.  There are some hopes and dreams that once time passes can NEVER be attained.  I feel for that school system with a leader like that because test scores are probably CRAMMED down every ones throat.  There are some kids that only see success through sports, academics are not their gift.  I have a BRILLANT idea, let's cancelled their testing week.....the scores will tank and the Superintendent will be a mass casuality of the fallout.  That  is the least he/she DESERVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can blame the HCBOE but that misses the point really. The superintendant made a call, that is what she gets paid to do. I don't agree with it, but oh well. The real problem is that we all knew what the forecast was for a week and the Kentucky Middle School Wrestling Board didn't formulate a contingency plan. Tim's post earlier stated that they had been scrambling all day. Why didn't they start scrambing for a back-up plan 5 days ago? Now we are all staring at the computer waiting to here what the plan is. At this point communication is key. Updates from the board would be appreciated by all.

OK, my family is new to this sport but it seems that since this is winter that this would not be the first time this kind of thing has happened.  Who decided to put the event in the hands of a school board instead of an independant arena?  That is who is responsible for the cancellation, because it was poor planning that put us in this situation.  Why was state duals allowed to go on when half the teams couldn't come for the same reason.  Could it be that the same decision makers were from the teams that could make it and it gave them a better shot? The Board has alot of questions to answer.

This decision does not fall on the  wrestling board. Some people just wan tot look for scape goats:(  The fact is the HCBOE made a commitment to have the tourney, and then they had to back out. IT makes me mad as well, but placing the blame on the coaches who were elected to HELP run the KYSWA is not the answer. Yes, they were scrambling all day to get an alternate venue, because they had a yearly commitment for it to be there. Where I come from, a commitment is a commitment.  They should not have had to worry about it.  They scrambled to inform the school system that tthe event was USA sanctioned, which provides the insurance anyway. The board members of the KYSWA are not paid, they do the best they can while still doing their jobs, and most of them coach as well.

My thought is that we should go on and try to find a place for next Saturday, to let these hard working boys do what they have trained to do. I realize that some intend on wrestling at HS region, but sometimes you have to make hard choices.  By saying this cannot be, we are sacrificing the many for a few. For many wrestlers it will be a long time(if ever) that they get to compete for a state championship.

In summation, I know everyone is angry. . . but you might as well go with what you've got.  It won't change anything.

We can blame the HCBOE but that misses the point really. The superintendant made a call, that is what she gets paid to do. I don't agree with it, but oh well. The real problem is that we all knew what the forecast was for a week and the Kentucky Middle School Wrestling Board didn't formulate a contingency plan. Tim's post earlier stated that they had been scrambling all day. Why didn't they start scrambing for a back-up plan 5 days ago? Now we are all staring at the computer waiting to here what the plan is. At this point communication is key. Updates from the board would be appreciated by all.

this is the only legitimate complaint made so far. you are exactly right.  the event was cancelled due to a forecast that is 5 days old.  central school board did what they had to do, mother nature is doing whatever she wants, and hotels that arent allowing a reimbursement are doing what they do to make money. the only thing in control by kyswa was a contingency plan. i have to assume that since tim lange is the president he is the one to hold responsible for the problem.  sorry tim, i am sure you are a good guy, but the ball has been dropped. even if your backup plan was to pick a date 3 weeks in the future it should of been communicated as soon as the white death forecast looked more eminent . the kyswa could of made this call as early as wednesday. instead we are all waiting to see if they will suddenly say , be at central hardin sunday , or we will wrestle this on july 4th. come on guys,  the wrestlers are doing there part getting better to improve our state but unfortunatley our administrators our putting their head in the sand and hoping for the best.

"They are calling for 2 inches of snow tonight in addition to ICE in this area. Then, we are suppossedly getting an additional inch of snow tomorrow. it is the ICE that caused the cancelation"

I just watched 3 local(Louisville) channels forecast and the word ICE was NEVER mentioned.

2-4 in snow possible for Etown.

Slamfan, not looking for a scapegoat or trying to hang the board. I've served on alot of volunteer sports positions. But when you plan a state championship you should expect bad weather in February. Why didn't someone plan for site where school board can't cancel?  The concessions and gate alone would cover the fee. Just disappointing for everyone. If we can have it next week, we should. If not, I'm not asking my son to make weight for 3 weeks. He is grumpy enough now!

This decision does not fall on the  wrestling board. Some people just wan tot look for scape goats:(  The fact is the HCBOE made a commitment to have the tourney, and then they had to back out. IT makes me mad as well, but placing the blame on the coaches who were elected to HELP run the KYSWA is not the answer. Yes, they were scrambling all day to get an alternate venue, because they had a yearly commitment for it to be there. Where I come from, a commitment is a commitment.  They should not have had to worry about it.  They scrambled to inform the school system that tthe event was USA sanctioned, which provides the insurance anyway. The board members of the KYSWA are not paid, they do the best they can while still doing their jobs, and most of them coach as well.

My thought is that we should go on and try to find a place for next Saturday, to let these hard working boys do what they have trained to do. I realize that some intend on wrestling at HS region, but sometimes you have to make hard choices.  By saying this cannot be, we are sacrificing the many for a few. For many wrestlers it will be a long time(if ever) that they get to compete for a state championship.

In summation, I know everyone is angry. . . but you might as well go with what you've got.  It won't change anything.

Slamfan - I appreciate the hard work that is put in all year long by the volunteers that run kywsa. However, it is well known that this particular superintendant is skiddish in these situations. In fact, earlier in the week someone predicted in a post on this site that she would make this call. Knowing this and knowing the forecast, a contingency plan should have been in place. That was a pretty big mistake by Tim and gang. Moving forward, any plan for rescheduling the tournament on the next two weekends would be big mistake number two. Whether or not middle schoolers should be competing in both high school and middle school has been debated on this site numberous times. Regardless of which side of that argument you are on, the fact remains that they are permited to do it. Holding the tournament when it conflicts with high school regions or state will eliminate 20-30 of the best wrestlers in the tournament. The only options I see are to hold it one of the next two sundays or wait until after the high school post-season is complete. Whatever the solution, kyswa needs to consult with coaches throughout the state. To this point, this has not happened. I think kyswa needs to feel a greater sense of urgency. If you agree, feel free to contact the officers. Their names and contact information can be found on their website.

Folks here is your options as I see them :

1. If Central Hardin can host next weekend wrestle then , A wrestler who is wrestling for high school will have a tough decision to make. This is" middle" school state .

2. There are schools large enough to host this if C.H. cannot .

3. I would recommend for you angry parents to contact your region Representative and attend the next meeting , Have a committee to come up with a contingency plan .

4. Remember this decision was not made to hurt you or your wrestler, SAFETY , must always come before competition .

5. The Middle School assoc. is made up of people that want to promote wrestling , vent your feelings if you must , allow them adequate enough time to figure this out. I think they can and will find a solution !

As much as I am dissappointed about this entire situation, BEFORE anyone starts blaming KYSWA, think about what you are saying before you say it!!! I am not a member of the board, BUT I challenge ANYONE that has a problem with decisions that the board is making to remember they are VOLUNTEERING their time and energy. If you think you have all these answers......become a board member. It's easy to sit back and criticize people for decisions that you could have had the opportunity to have been a part of. So....instead of pointing out all of the problems, become more active and be a part of the solution.

This again is odd to me.  I understand safety comes first, but really?  I wrestled in this state back in the 90's and can't remember one tournament cancelled.  Ever.  This sport is played in nothern states and they seem to be doing ok?  Very odd.

Safety?!?!?!?!...come on...school systems go to school in worse weather than this....would you be saying this if they cancelled high school since this is only "middle" school?!?  I don't think that another event of ANY kind should EVER be allowed to be hosted by that school system.  However, if that is the only place we can get this year, then go for it.  The wrestlers sacrifice so much during the season to become the best and should not be punished for moronic decisons and the lack of proper planning.  If that Superintendent was so worried about "safety" and the well being of everyone, then he/she should have cancelled at least 48 hours ago.  That Superintendent should have more respect for all of the wrestlers and supporters than to wait to the last minute to cancel an event of this importance.  He/she would demand that type of respect everyday and would not allow an SBDM or School Board meeting to be cancelled at the last minute. 

Ok savage, I assume you are referring to me. Why do you assume I don't volunteer my time? As a matter of fact I do and have for the last 15 years. I don't blame the board for the decision, I blame them for not having a back up plan in place. At this point the board needs to be contacting coaches to poll solutions and get feedback on posible senarios. They aren't doing that. I know Tim, he is a great guy. That doesn't prohibit him from making mistakes. I don't think we should burn him at the stake, just urge him to communicate with all of us that are sitting here waiting to find out how to schedule our lives for the next several weeks.

It's not a Safety issue as it is a Liability.  BOE's and Schools are scared to death to get sued.  It has become the way of society.  Happens all of the time, everyone looking out to make a buck. No one is going to refund your money.

Hotmamma has a valid point in using outside venues but now your looking at a lease, regions moving mats etc.

I hate to hear it, hopefully the master minds in charge can pull some strings in the next 2 weeks.

As much as I am dissappointed about this entire situation, BEFORE anyone starts blaming KYSWA, think about what you are saying before you say it!!! I am not a member of the board, BUT I challenge ANYONE that has a problem with decisions that the board is making to remember they are VOLUNTEERING their time and energy. If you think you have all these answers......become a board member. It's easy to sit back and criticize people for decisions that you could have had the opportunity to have been a part of. So....instead of pointing out all of the problems, become more active and be a part of the solution.

unfortunately savage, the problem is people primarily dont volunteer because they feel they cannot make the commitment to satisfy the job requirements. i dont think that they are considered "infallable" just because they are volunteering. i could volunteer to be a surgeon and i am sure i would kill many a people, fact is i shouldnt be volunteering for something i couldnt handle. this was not a tough task to complete; snow is coming , what do we do if the school board cancells the tourney? this needs to take place on a sunday so as to not eliminate kids who are wrestling for both highschool and middle school. these kids typically are the eighth graders who have waited along time to get their shot and wont get this chance again in their life. they just happen to be in a position to help there high school team , should they be penalized because of poor planning.

This is nonsense. I can't believe this. Who can't drive in RAIN............Idiots after these boys have worked so hard for this they have the nerve to call it off over rain.  :x

Mother nature? Get SERIOUS!!!!!!!!  IT'S RAINING AT THIS POINT.

Have to agree with you 100% a little rain and it all gets called off.....I think this is a joke And I feel sorry for the kids who have worked their butts off all season and now they get nothing because someone is scared of a little rain

The same things were said when HS state duals were canceled last weekend, yet much of KY had snow Sat AM.

Who do I contact to lodge a formal complaint?!!!!

Pathetic!

http://www.hardin.k12.ky.us/supt/index.htm

Nannette.Johnston@Hardin.kyschools.us

Here's an idea...don't leave in the hands of an idiot.  Find a venue where the schools can't control it anymore.  What's wrong with Frankfort? Elementary and High School is held there.

[/quote

As I recall it's Middle School State , Take away a school boards ( idiots ) say? See how long you have a MS wrestling team.

Move it where you want, if bad weather in on the way then what? Someone is making a decision for the Safety of the kids and anyone else that would be driving.

I posted the here:http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/smf/index.php?topic=7588.0  (SNOW)

Sounds good, but who makes the call when we have another ice storm the night before. Should someone make a call/put lives in danger? Move it to non-school facilities, Pay more, no matter if it is cancelled or not.

I would hope that Mrs. Johnston put off making a decision until she had to make it, hoping it could be a GO. So if she said yesterday (Thursday) cancelled, she would be showing more respect for all of the wrestlers and supporters? I think not.

I would say it's both, with SAFETY being 1st (I would hope). If it was held tomorrow and  a bus full of YOUR Kids slid off the road and ** killed, ** injured. Now those parents just might have a reason to complain/sue, remember it is just a sporting event.

So volunteer to be the MAN for next year and make all the right decisions. We will have a GOOD 1010/2011 year.

If anyone hears of someone getting KILLED because of this storm, please post it here so we can all pray for their families.

Just Lovely myGSP, Good Lord- Do you think you critiqued enough people.  I really have just one thing to say to you.  I think that you obviously think the rest of us are ignorant.  We are the parents of these kids and we of course would make the best decisions possible based on the safety of our children.  We are the adults and we decide whether we put our kids on a bus or not.  Quoting gloom and doom and belittleing the quotes of other people speaks tons to your character.  We all agree.  This was handled poorly, we have to make the best of the situation and we all have to move on.  All of this "who makes the call " stuff you speak of is answered this time by you yourself ...., "Mrs. Johnson" made the call.  As I see it, she made the call for about 1500 of us.  Now the question becomes, is this appropriate?  Is she the best person to make the call for our wrestling tournament?  A tournament that isnt necessarily always school sponsered ie. Madison County Wrestling Club.  So do not threaten me with the idea of "taking away my middle school wrestling team" because I do not have an "official state or school "sponsered team to take away...although we, a club are sending 5 kids to a state tournament.  If a bus slid off the road and killed my child who would I blame?....Myself because the bottom line is I, the parent, the adult am ultimately responsible for my child.  I do not understand your finger-pointing mentality or even endorse or give credit to your idea that I would blame someone other than myself.  And volunteering, believe me, my family volunteers every weekend for this sport and these kids.  We will make it better without belittleing others.  Finally, there are so many things wrong with you saying if anyone gets killed post it here so we can pray for their families that I cant even approach that topic.  All I can say is go take a look in a mirror. 

We all are upset and we all are waiting to see what the decision makers have in mind to make this better.  people who want to just point fingers and blame others need to chill.  I lost money today, I am really upset about it as well as my son and husband are, but now we need to move forward. 

This is posted by Sprawl, not Savage.. didnt realize I was signed on as him

Elizabethtown Weather

Detailed Local ForecastHow to Read This Tonight: Cloudy with rain and snow this evening, becoming all snow overnight. Low near 30F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 80%. Snowfall around one inch.

Tomorrow: Mainly cloudy with snow showers around in the morning. Temps nearly steady around 30. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 60%.

Tomorrow night: Cloudy. Low 19F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph.

Unbelievable

I,ve hurt there was an accident involving a bus or two a couple of weeks ago during bad weather.  If this is true the HCS board was in no position to let this tournament go on with the way lawsuits are brought today. I can see a lawyer's cross "so you had an accident 2 weeks before in the same type of weather and you still went ahead." Not a question I wuld want to have to answer.