Sign in to follow this  
Happy Pappy

NCAA championships...

Champs:

125-Dubuque-IU--2x champ

133-Valenti--Penn-new coach is olympic silver medalist Zeke Jones,could be a big reason he won.

141-Gallick-ISU-finally gets a title, beats a 2x champ to get it.

149-Schlatter-Minn-True Freshman,True Stud

157-Cherrington-BSU-first champ for Boise St. since '99

165-Hendricks-defending champ,won again, back next yr.

174-Askren-Mizzou- Tigers first champ ever.

184-Webster-Oregon-First champ for Oregon since the 30's

197-Rosholt-OSU-3x champ, 40th ever.

Hwt.-Konrad-Beat unbeatable Mocco all year, it just took 6OT's this time.

Oklahoma State were the National Champs over Minnesota.

Go Cowboys!!!

I agree with what you guys are saying mostly.

Guys could be totally out of except for a toe in

and the ref's were letting the guys wrerstle.

This said, Hendricks had both feet or legs covered

on both TD's.

I like the out of bounds interpretation of you're not out till everything

is out. I saw this at the Big Ten's too.Just a tip toe need be in. I think this takes a lot of the judgement out of it for the ref.

The problem is sometimes high schools use middle school mats and that wouldn't allow for enough space.

I agree with the toes in give them the takedown if it's a clear one but if there is little to no control then they shouldn't get a takedown.

Another thing I saw in there was a lot of the guys fled the mat a lot but I guess they don't have fleeing the mat in college.

there is fleeing the mat in college.

there is also stalling and stalemates.

Instead of calling stalls all the time, if a ref was able he would call

stalemate. they let the guys on top ride the hips longer and work for a pinning combo. If you watched any of the nationals the bottom wasn't

always working super hard.The stall calls were good from what I saw.

It seems our refs in ky.have gotten stall happy lately.

agree, disagree?

Yeah they get stall happy rather than calling a stalemate and just bringing them back to the middle and telling them they need to agressively look for something rather than sitting back and waiting.

And it sure as heck didn't look like the NCAA enforced fleeing the mat at all, I mean they BLATENTLY ran straight for the line half the time.

IMHO I thought Churella had Hendricks pinned at end of the 2nd period with that cradle. I thought the ref just wouldn't slap the mat.

I'm know this will soud uneducated, but are the rules the same for college as with High school? I.E. Why didn't Askren or Davis have to wear a slicker cap. If it had been high school they would required them to wear one.

IMHO I thought Churella had Hendricks pinned at end of the 2nd period with that cradle. I thought the ref just wouldn't slap the mat.

I'm know this will soud uneducated' date=' but are the rules the same for college as with High school? I.E. Why didn't Askren or Davis have to wear a slicker cap. If it had been high school they would required them to wear one.[/quote']

The rules arn't the same really, a lot of the rules and regulations are changed around just a little bit, I'm pretty sure as long as the hair isn't "sharp" or have the ability to cut anybody they let it go.

I think it would do a lot of good to send our officials to some collegiate matches and let them see what goes on. I also would love to see properly officiated riding time in high school matches. Did anyone notice how the college officials let the wrestles fight on (and sometimes over) the lines. Makes for much more interesting matches as well as allowing the wrestles to utilize more strategy. What about Askrin (gotta love the hair) and the freshmen Schlatter and Nickerson (Schlatter is awesome). Konrad and Mocco sure battled it out. And what about Fleeger (Purdue) getting slammed on top of his noggin and continuing (not like he did in the 1/4's where he did not continue and his opponet was dq'd), these kids are just super tough and Kentucky kids need to take a lesson from them. I thought it was another great tournament and my hats off to ESPN for providing more coverage. A whole lot more excitement than that other little tournament that the NCAA has going on right now. :wink:

The major problem that we have here in Ky with the officiating stems from this....In Ohio, Indiana and Illinois in order to be a certafied official you must attend one state rules meeting and four district meeting each year to stay current on the rule changes. The only requirement here to stay khsaa certafied is to attend one state meeting each year. I have talked to Julian Tackett (khsaa) about this. His responce (and I can buy this) was that we are allready short of officials and if we make the requirements tuffer to keep your certafication then more guys will let their certafication lapse and we will be EVEN shorter..hmmmmm. not sure how I feel about that one. But I agree totally that the Churella and Hendricks match had two HORRIBLE calls and one questionable call.

refdad:

I agree there needs to be more training involved.

There is also a push for having an assigner (one who assigns referees fro events), for each region. I think region 4 and 5 may already have one. I'm not sure where I stand on this one. My question is this? In Nky we don't have that many events, Conner tourn, Dixie Val. tourney, Jamboree, NKAC, and some dual meets about fills out the whole season of events in NKY, (Sometimes a weekend quad will pop up for 1 year). What can these officials do then? Are they able to go to another region and work? How would they be added to that regions list of officials? (I know Tom Hardy goes to many out of region tourneys to officiate.

refdad:

I agree there needs to be more training involved.

There is also a push for having an assigner (one who assigns referees fro events)' date=' for each region. I think region 4 and 5 may already have one. I'm not sure where I stand on this one. My question is this? In Nky we don't have that many events, Conner tourn, Dixie Val. tourney, Jamboree, NKAC, and some dual meets about fills out the whole season of events in NKY, (Sometimes a weekend quad will pop up for 1 year). What can these officials do then? Are they able to go to another region and work? How would they be added to that regions list of officials? (I know Tom Hardy goes to many out of region tourneys to officiate.[/quote']

As someone who has officiated for a few years (some in regions 3, 4, & 5), here's how I think it works. With assigners you aren't "locked in" to a region. I just takes the burden off the coaches for finding officials and removes any bias in selecting officials for an event. Basically, the assigner gets the schedule of meets for his region, arranges for officials to be there, and lets the coaches know who his officals are. This way he can give the new guys a chance to get their feet wet with more experienced guys. When the assigner calls you (as an official), if you have already planned to be somewhere else, it's no big deal. He will just call someone else. So, it is essentially just moving the responsibility from the coaches and avoids coaches always using their "favorites".

I know a lot of people won't like my opinion on this, but I like the Kentucky refs being harder on stalling.....and I think it will help our wrestlers in the long run. We used to get slapped for stalling over in Ohio when I was in h.s. all the time. I think our refs used to be too relaxed on stalling, they may be a little overboard now, but I'd rather have the refs be a little more aggressive on stalling calls then letting kids get away with it for 6 minutes.

On a side note, the NCAA's were awesome, and those guys were relentless on top. Happy Pappy - thanks for posting info on here about it...i would have missed it otherwise.

I agreee 100% Pioneer.

I love to see stalling called without hesitation. The one thing I do want however is that they call it the same at the beginning of the match and at the end of the match.

I have seen many officials calling stalling the last 30 seconds of a match that they didn't call the first 4 minutes of the match.

I also saw the opposite at the state tourney this year. One official would call a quick stalling call the first 30-1 minute of a match and not call the same type of stalling at the end of the match.

I like stalling calls as long as they are consistant throughout the match.

Before we get too much ahead of ourselves, the college officials did call a lot of stalling calls both Friday night and Saturday. I think obviously riding time enters the fray here as to when they call stalling and when they do not. Most of the time, the college officials will call the stalemate (top and bottom) when nothing is happening as far as turning of the opponent (top) or effort to reverse or escape (bottom) and they usually don't mickey-mouse around with it. Lets face it, the burden is on both men with the bottom man suffering the most for lack of effort or just inability to escape or reverse. Riding time does put a new equation into the match by allowing more strategy IMHO.

grapplinfan, i agree also. it would be nice if it was called more consistently throughout the match, and i agree with you that it was inconsistent down state. i think the refs have somewhat of a conscience in this in that they don't want a stalling call - their judgement call - to decide the match...but they want to make sure there's action going on in the match.

having said that, i'd say this was the BEST year i've seen as far as quality of officiating at state in Kentucky (out of probably 10-15 state tourneys). i'm glad i'm up in the stands watching and critiquing instead of having my butt on the mat getting booed! ;-) it's a very thankless & tough job.