gatorade12

top 8 at 112

I have a world of respect for Sullivan, I think he's a great wrestler...but he needs to start thinking about wrestling top notch kids otherwise his 166-0 record is going to start looking pretty unimpressive. Nothing against any of the 103 lbers this year or last, but that weight class is dominated by underclassmen and middle schoolers. He needs to bump up to 112 this year at a minimum. He's got nothing to gain from winning state at 103 again. Honestly, I'd like to see him lift hard, gain some weight and jump up to 119. If he goes undefeated & wins state at 112 or 119 that would be impressive. 103 would not be impressive to me anyway.

But it isn't just wrestling kids from our state with that record he wrestled a lot of out of state competition also for what I know so I'm sure he has ran across some good competition from other states that are just as old as him and give him a good match, so you can't say his record is 100% weak underclassmen and middle schoolers, you need to remember that he was just a sophomore this year if I remember correctly.

. He's got nothing to gain from winning state at 103 again. Honestly' date=' I'd like to see him lift hard, gain some weight and jump up to 119.[/quote']

Nothing to gain???? What about a 3 time state champion, or probably a 4 time state champion. Ky only has 4 in all its history.

Yes, becoming a 4 timer is incredible. BUT, I would agree, if he does 3 times at 103 and once at 112 I will have a hard time putting him in the same class as the other guys. Plus, how does that prepare him for a college career? He needs to get bigger and stronger if he wants to go to the next level.

This didn't seem to hurt Ruschell.

Fresh. -------7th at 103

Soph.--------2nd at 103

Jr. -----------1st at 103

Sr.-----------1st at 119 MVW

Post high school-----Div. I scolly at Wisc.

Lets compare to Sullivan

Fresh--------1st at 103

Soph.--------1st at 103

Sr------------1st at ?????? (undefeated high school career) (200 + wins)

My one question is how much wt. does he cut to make 103?

I agree that his Sr. year he needs to be 112 or 119, but what a resume.

This didn't seem to hurt Ruschell.

Fresh. -------7th at 103

Soph.--------2nd at 103

Sr.-----------1st at 119 MVW

Post high school-----Div. I scolly at Wisc.

Lets compare to Sullivan

Fresh--------1st at 103

Soph.--------1st at 103

Sr------------1st at ?????? (undefeated high school career) (200 + wins)

My one question is how much wt. does he cut to make 103?

I agree that his Sr. year he needs to be 112 or 119' date=' but what a resume.[/quote']

That's a good point. But I think he needs to get that big time exposure like Ruschell did (Beast of the East, big tournaments in Ohio, etc.). I've heard Sullivan gets to see out of state competition, but I'm not sure at what level. I guess I would hate for him to have that great resume and leave it open to the criticism that he just wrestled a bunch of "middle schoolers". We all have to agree he is a great wrestler. If his weight is up there, I would like to see him compete with the bigger guys like Luna, Cornett, Johnson, etc. I think it would neat to have a guy go undefeated for 4 years, but I don't really want to see 3 of them at 103. And I think he can do it at 112 next year.

penguin & grappler, i see your points....I'm sure he's come across some decent competition out of state at 103...I'm just saying I'd be much more impressed next year if he went undefeated or even had a 1 loss season and was a state champ at 112 than dominating 103 again. I realize he was just a sophomore...but there's no denying that the majority of 103's are Juniors and below. I'm not sure the percentage in our state that are sophomore's and below, but I'd bet it was over 50%. 112 would be more of a challenge for him. I'd like to see him do it.

Also, as far as it not hurting Ruschell....Kyle bumped up after he won state at 103 the first time. Sullivan has already won it twice...now going for a 3rd time? What's the point? The only way I would say it would make sense for him to stay down at 103 would be if he is just an absolutely natural 103 lber, and can't gain enough muscle to compete at 112. I'm not suggesting he goes on a kamikaze mission to 112....it's just time to conquer the next challenge for him.

well im going to take a stab at it:

1.sullivan (if he goes 112)

2.luna

3.henry clay(not sure whose going)

4.carr

5.parks

6.voth

7.zeppa(younger one probably)

8.Burkett maybe??

Sullivan needs to wrestle 112 or 119 next year. He has established his dominance at 103 for two years running. A state title is a state title no matter what weight, but what is the since in him cutting so much weight. The only returning placer i know of next year will be Elliott Martin who weighed 93 pounds throughout the season last year. Most of the 103 placers next years will be making their first ever showing at state. He needs to move up and beat some wrestlers that are a little more seasoned. Especially if he plans on wrestling in college.

Sullivan needs to wrestle 112 or 119 next year. He has established his dominance at 103 for two years running. A state title is a state title no matter what weight' date=' but what is the since in him cutting so much weight. The only returning placer i know of next year will be Elliott Martin who weighed 93 pounds throughout the season last year. Most of the 103 placers next years will be making their first ever showing at state. He needs to move up and beat some wrestlers that are a little more seasoned. Especially if he plans on wrestling in college.[/quote']

i dont think sullivan could make 103 again, hed get sick and tired trying..hel more than likely be a 12pounder...

Guest DAWG6
Sullivan needs to wrestle 112 or 119 next year. He has established his dominance at 103 for two years running. A state title is a state title no matter what weight' date=' but what is the since in him cutting so much weight. The only returning placer i know of next year will be Elliott Martin who weighed 93 pounds throughout the season last year. Most of the 103 placers next years will be making their first ever showing at state. He needs to move up and beat some wrestlers that are a little more seasoned. Especially if he plans on wrestling in college.[/quote']

He may set all the records at 103 for kentucky :roll:

I'd like to see him against some of the other tough kids, sophmore Nationals :?: What about Iron man, Cinninnata NAtionals, AAU World Detriot.

Travis is a great wrestler "IN KENTUCKY" He is good but, I'd like to see him step it up at 112 or bigger tournaments this summer :idea:

We all thought Jacob Murton, Derek Scott, Ben Warner were the best kids around kentucky. Look what happen to them :idea: Look at the great KY kids that don't even wrestle at these events, all the Top three at state, I don't want to offend anyone by saying names.

But if your a three time KY State Champion, why don't you wrestle at the big events :?:

We are going in the right direction with KY wrestling, our kids have to leave KY to get better if we want to win at the next level.

DAWG:

I would think that there are several reasons that some of these kids do not wrestle in big events.

1. money. Many of these kids do not have the money to do this. Not only does it cost to enter some of these tourneys but the travel cost, the hotel cost, and the meal money.

2. If money is available then it could be parents. As a sophmore or even a Jr. many parents would not allow there child to travel so far, without them.

3. Some kids are satisfied with their success in KY. Many of these kids either do not want to go to collage or do not want to compete on the collage level.

Yes I understand that it is hard to believe that some parents may not support their child but it does happen. I know up north that at least one inner city school has a hard time with parent support, they only have one or two parents that follow their whole team, and this has gone on for close to 10 years. The main reason they don't support them is because of money. They either do not have any money or they are out trying out trying to support their families. Most of these parents have not seen their kids wrestle at the state tourney. They would not even if they were to make the finals.

The only thing I am saying is don't critisize what they don't do unless you know the true reason, and even then it is THEIR decision.

Guest DAWG6
DAWG:

I would think that there are several reasons that some of these kids do not wrestle in big events.

1. money. Many of these kids do not have the money to do this. Not only does it cost to enter some of these tourneys but the travel cost' date= the hotel cost, and the meal money.

2. If money is available then it could be parents. As a sophmore or even a Jr. many parents would not allow there child to travel so far, without them.

3. Some kids are satisfied with their success in KY. Many of these kids either do not want to go to collage or do not want to compete on the collage level.

Yes I understand that it is hard to believe that some parents may not support their child but it does happen. I know up north that at least one inner city school has a hard time with parent support, they only have one or two parents that follow their whole team, and this has gone on for close to 10 years. The main reason they don't support them is because of money. They either do not have any money or they are out trying out trying to support their families. Most of these parents have not seen their kids wrestle at the state tourney. They would not even if they were to make the finals.

The only thing I am saying is don't critisize what they don't do unless you know the true reason, and even then it is THEIR decision.

Totally understandable

I'm not bashing Travis or any other wrestler.

I do know for a fact that the Wayne kids do travel out of state and attend the junior AAU meets.

Several kids in our state travel all over, and I have personally seen and heard other parents take their kids, other kids same and even other schools to the big meets. split the cost ect...

If these kids we speak of wanted to attend big tournament they could: wink:

As the parents: But I haven't every seen a parent say no my child that is that good, can't attend. Maybe I won't and they are probably a few. But the opportunity is available

Sullivan has been every where. I keep up with him because he is a great wrestler.

Iowa

Lousina

West V.

Virgina

Ohio

Tenn

Michigan

Florida

You cant say he hasnt wrestled the best poeple

Sullivan has been every where. I keep up with him because he is a great wrestler.

Iowa

Lousina

West V.

Virgina

Ohio

Tenn

Michigan

Florida

You cant say he hasnt wrestled the best poeple

I'm not going to disagree with you because I don't know where he has been or who all he has wrestled, BUT, I will say just going to those places doesn't mean squat. The competition has to be there. I know, because as a head coach I have taken a very weak KY team to an OH tournament and brought home some hardware, including a team trophy.

Are you saying tht sullivan went undefeated in all these states?? There is no way, he must not have been wrestling the best competition these states had to offer. I wouldn't be shocked to see him tech falled by division 1 wrestlers from ohio, michigain, or a few of the other states that you mentioned.

It must have been a very weak tour. Where do you coach @????

It was weak and that's my point. Just because you wrestle in Ohio (or someone from Ohio) doesn't mean you're taking on top level competition.

Good point Ranger some out of state tournaments are not any better than some we have right here at home.

I like Sullivan though as a Soph 103lber. At his age and weight, I think he can hold his own against alot of top kids regardless of which state.

Sorry, to all KY people, OH has a class above our Ky folks,,,,,,,,,, seen it,,,,,,,,,,,watched it, Sullivan is just plain'ol tough. I wanna see how that Vaughn kid is doing, I heard he has been travelling, anyone know?