wrestling24/7

Come on Man!

Whats the deal with coaches setting out there wrestlers on Wednesday night duals? Is there really that much preparation u can make for Saturday? Whatever happened to getting better by wrestling?

The weight descent plan has changed Wednesday night duals.  You can only loose 1.5% per week so from Wednesday to Saturday thats only about 0.7%.  In the past you could weigh 3-4 lbs. heavy and wrestle up a weight class. Now it would take at least a week to be able to go back down.

The weight descent plan has changed Wednesday night duals.  You can only loose 1.5% per week so from Wednesday to Saturday thats only about 0.7%.  In the past you could weigh 3-4 lbs. heavy and wrestle up a weight class. Now it would take at least a week to be able to go back down.

it depends on what u weigh in at, not what ur gonna wrestle at. if i weigh in at  125 i can bump up to 130 and that wont change my weight decent.  i am totally in favor of wed night duals, it gets you more matches.

This is one thing I dislike very much about the new body fat rules.  When I was in high school we used to bump several wrestlers up a weight for Wed night matches because their weight wasn't all the way down.  With these rules you wouldn't even be able to weigh in at 137.5 and wrestle 140 on Wed night then drop to 135 for Saturday.  I like the idea of the body fat test and I understand how it came about however I think it needs some tweaking to accomodate reality.

If you are wrestling in a specific weight class you should make that weight every time.  I don't believe fluxuating your weight that much during the week is good for you.

Back in the stone age when I wrestled there was no fat test or descent plan, but the coach expected and demanded you made your wt. class every time.  If you can't make the wt. class then you need to move up a wt. class.

Our coach told us if you miss wt. once, you have extra's the second time you can no longer wrestle at that wt class. 

To m this sounds like a good rule, makes the wrestler control his wt over the year and not just the day before the match.

I'm with you on this one GOO. I was asked to make a weight for a reason so if I didnt make the weight I didnt wrestle varsity for the night. I missed weight once in 5 varsity years. We controlled our weight during the week and even the weekend. I was never more than 12 pounds away from my weight. If it was a short week then I was never more than 6 pounds away. Its just discipline. I like the fat tests to an extent but in some ways it needs to be revamped.

If you are wrestling in a specific weight class you should make that weight every time.  I don't believe fluxuating your weight that much during the week is good for you.

Back in the stone age when I wrestled there was no fat test or descent plan, but the coach expected and demanded you made your wt. class every time.  If you can't make the wt. class then you need to move up a wt. class.

Our coach told us if you miss wt. once, you have extra's the second time you can no longer wrestle at that wt class. 

To m this sounds like a good rule, makes the wrestler control his wt over the year and not just the day before the match.

GOO,

I'm betting that you did not wrestle 119 or below. This rule will make mid-week duals will be a thing of the past or strictly a JV event.

We didn't have the body fat testing when I wrestled.  I can understand why they instituted the body fat test, but in some ways it is unreasonable.  A lean wrestler should lose weight very cautiously, but heavier guys can cut more weight without health issues.  A heavyweight can lose six to eight pounds per week without any health risk, but the body fat test limits their weight loss tremendously.  Further, our team has had no issues making weight Wednesday or Saturday...this is a mindset issue that has nothing to do with the body fat test.  Most wrestlers gain 3 or 4 pounds after their Saturday weigh-in due to weekend eating and Sundays off, but by Wednesday these same guys have worked out and reached their weight class.  Not making weight is either a discipline issue or due to a wrestler trying to wrestler down too low.  Just because you can wrestle a low weight doesn't mean you should... 

I'm with you on this one GOO. I was asked to make a weight for a reason so if I didnt make the weight I didnt wrestle varsity for the night. I missed weight once in 5 varsity years. We controlled our weight during the week and even the weekend. I was never more than 12 pounds away from my weight. If it was a short week then I was never more than 6 pounds away. Its just discipline. I like the fat tests to an extent but in some ways it needs to be revamped.

You might be with GOO in theory but, the reality of the % body fat incorporating the 1.5% descent plan would have prevented you from bumping up to 125 for a midweek match. I mean you could have bumped up to wrestle but still would have weighed in around 120.

GOO,

I'm betting that you did not wrestle 119 or below. This rule will make mid-week duals will be a thing of the past or strictly a JV event.

Just the opposite.  I did not wrestle above 119, or at least not weigh in above that. 

A couple of times the coach asked me to bump up for one dual at a quad or tri, but I was still required to weigh in at 119.  In 4 years of varsity wrestling I never missed weight. And I was never more than 5 pounds to my weight.  And before you ask yes I lost weight.  Soph lost 10 lbs, Jr. lost 10lbs Sr. lost 25 lbs.

Bottom line.  Make weight every wrestling match and the decent plan does not matter. If you can't make it twice a week you probably don't belong at that weight and you somehow fooled the fat test.

You might be with GOO in theory but, the reality of the % body fat incorporating the 1.5% descent plan would have prevented you from bumping up to 125 for a midweek match. I mean you could have bumped up to wrestle but still would have weighed in around 120.

Why is this such a problem?  So you weigh 120 and wrestle 125. 

What I truly don't understand is why are you bumping up a wt. class?  Stay at your wt class.  Our coach very very rarely had up bump up.  When I did it was actually for punishment for being more than 4 lbs over weight on Monday, but as I said i still had to make my wt class weight. 

Coaches just need to send out their varsity squad every time.  Don't bump them around.  If you win the dual great if you don't who cares.  As I have said more than a thousand times.  This is an individual sport with group tendencies.  Focus on the individual and the team falls into place.