Sign in to follow this  
Mr Granby

top 8 119

1-issac urvin

2-shane parks

3-joaquin luna

4-cliff cornett/matt zarth(which ever one goes 112 will be state champ)

5-cory spencer

6-jon voth

7-ross carpenter frasier(bigger kids, think they will give him trouble)

8-lucas carmen

1-issac urvin

2-shane parks

3-joaquin luna

4-cliff cornett/matt zarth(which ever one goes 112 will be state champ)

5-cory spencer

6-jon voth

7-ross carpenter frasier(bigger kids' date=' think they will give him trouble)

8-lucas carmen[/quote']

Don't no about Ervin, but Luna(Eastern) has beaten Parks(WC) at either this years or last years King of the Bluegrass

119 looks like it will shape up to be a quality weight class next year...I felt it was down a bit this season.

Also, Corey Spencer beat Zarth in the finals of the Tates Creek Invitational where Carpenter-Frasor placed third. I know that was last year, but keep that in mind for next season and while ranking.

Guest DAWG6
119 looks like it will shape up to be a quality weight class next year...I felt it was down a bit this season.

Also' date=' Corey Spencer beat Zarth in the finals of the Tates Creek Invitational where Carpenter-Frasor placed third. I know that was last year, but keep that in mind for next season and while ranking.[/quote']

Dump Truck you got to be kiding me 119 not a quality weight class :shock: you felt it was down :?:

What are you comparing it to a all-star line up of 119s from the past :? Some of the kids had great season, but a let down at state.

Of the kids bolded several of them split during the season 1-1 or 2-1.

I thought 19 was very competative. Several of the top 12 119s would have won 2-3 matches @ 125 or placed @12.

When it all shacks out next Dec-Jan time frame 12,19,25,30 will all have quality kids in the medal rounds. :wink:

PD Tyler Voth 11

FC Caleb Wood 11

SO Daniel Murner 12

Un Co Isaac Ervin

Lar Co Darwin Perez 11

Wood Co John Smith 12

Old Co Eric Warner 12

JH Justin Pitcher 10

Sen John Chui 11

And Co Clayton Stocker 12

Way Co Bryan Daniels 10

Cald Co Tanner Leach 12

St X Nick Norwood 11

PRP Corey Mills 10

JC Ryan Greene

Hop Brian Toliver 12

CH Ross Engle 10

Mc Cen Derek Corder 10

Bal Kendrick Jones 11

HC Cliff Cornett 11

Laf Nathan Speck

SK Dusty Brown 9

First of all, can I say that I a definately guilty of the ex-wrestler syndrome where I will always think the people I wrested and the class I wrestled was most difficult when I wrested it, haha.

I also want to say that I know there was a lot of quality wrestlers at this weight and I enjoyed watching them. I do think, however, by comparison the 119 class from last year was stronger. See what you think.

Rushell (05) vs. Murner (06)

Miller (05) vs. Voth (06)

Warner (05) vs. Irvin (06)

Trimble (05) vs. Chiu (06)

Bryant (05) vs. Daniels (06)

Peters (05) vs Cornett (06)

Jackson (05) vs Stalker (06)

MURNER (05) vs Wood (06)

Remember, I am biased, but I think '05 would win between 6-8 of these matches.

I also beleive 119 was a lot better last year than this year. Last year 119 was unarguably the hardest weight class.

This year 145 was the hardest followed by 125 then 130. 119 was about number top 5 of strongest weights.

Strength of weights in order:

1. 145

2. 125

3. 130

4. 103

5. 119

6. 152

7. 112

8. 135

9. 189

10. 171

11. 215

12. 275

13. 160

14. 140

First of all' date=' can I say that I a definately guilty of the ex-wrestler syndrome where I will always think the people I wrested and the class I wrestled was most difficult when I wrested it, haha.

I also want to say that I know there was a lot of quality wrestlers at this weight and I enjoyed watching them. I do think, however, by comparison the 119 class from last year was stronger. See what you think.

[i']MURNER (05) vs Wood (06)

Rushell would tech/pin Murner

Miller and Voth would be the best matchup between these. Voth would probly win against last years Miller (but this years Miller would kill Voth)

Warner would pim Irvin

Trimble and Chui would be a great match, slight advantage to Trimble.

Bryant would tech/pin Daniels

Peters would pin/tech Cornett

Jackson would tech/pin Stocker

Murner and Wood would be a great match with slight advantage to Wood.

probly would be 5-3 in favor of 2005

Monkey Roll your ranking of the weight classes is totally wrong.

1. 145(no surprise)

2. 130(had a lot of quality wrestlers that didn't place Rust and Wasson)

3. 119(lots of good wrestlers)

4. 140(people like goldsby and stewart)

5. 112(had good match ups all through the tourney)

6. 125(wasn't really as hard as was built up to be)

7. 152(with sanders a state champinion getting 5th it had to be tough)

8. 103

9. 189

10. 215

11. 171

12. 160

13. 275

Is more like it IMO

Next year 119 is going to be dominated by jon chui, he placed 4th at state losing in double OT to Erving, and he is going to be the only one that is back at 119.

Next year 119 is going to be dominated by jon chui' date=' he placed 4th at state losing in double OT to Erving, and he is going to be the only one that is back at 119.[/quote']

i disagree i think first off jon chiu will not be a 119 next year solely by the fact it seemed like he struggled to make 119 this year, secondly ervin will be back in a stacked 119 class with ervin,parks,luna, and either cliff cornett or matt zarth of henry clay(one will choose to lose weight to 112)

ervin took chiu to double overtime and cornett beat chiu 6-5 in the quarters

so you know for a fact that luna will not grow at all during the off-season and parks is weighing 120 right now, and you doubt he will grow during the off season think again

It's very difficult to predict what will happen to these young kids 10 grade and under. Many of these kids will go through their growth spurt and you don't know what they will look like come next season.

Your have a better chance of predicting the Jr.s because they may have already gone through their growth spurt.

Guest DAWG6
It's very difficult to predict what will happen to these young kids 10 grade and under. Many of these kids will go through their growth spurt and you don't know what they will look like come next season.

Your have a better chance of predicting the Jr.s because they may have already gone through their growth spurt.

100% correct.

Guest DAWG6

I don't disagree with your conclusion:

Look at the other names @ 119 Chaffin, Perry, Scott, Thueneman these were some heavy hitters that would do the same to the 05 class.

So the question remains: does the quality of wrestlers continue to go down each year :roll:

This topic applies to all weigh classes. I think several points have to be looked at, under classman or seniors when they place, domination (place finisher) for three, four or five years instead of one season. You always will find a few names that don't fit into the category no matter what it is :wink:

But it's interesting to compare names and stack them up against names of the past.

Compare the same with 04 and 03 classes

MURNER (05) vs Wood (06)

2004 119s

1st Kris Perry Cristian County

2nd Dwayne Martin Fort Campbell

3rd Derek Scott South Oldham

4th Jeremy Franklin Seneca

5th Daniel Thueneman Scott

6th Zach Peters Trinity (Louisville)

7th Kellen Ashworth Ryle

8th Harrison Courtney Woodford County

2003 119s

1st Nick Chaffin Prestonsburg

2nd Kris Perry Christian County

3rd Justin Johnston Danville

4th Chris Skaggs South Oldham

5th Cory Bankemper Campbell County

6th Carlos Rodriguez Seneca

7th Justin Kolewe Eastern

8th Dan Adams John Hardin

First of all' date=' can I say that I a definately guilty of the ex-wrestler syndrome where I will always think the people I wrested and the class I wrestled was most difficult when I wrested it, haha.

Next year 119 is going to be dominated by jon chui' date=' he placed 4th at state losing in double OT to Erving, and he is going to be the only one that is back at 119.[/quote']

totally disagree if chiu some how manages to make it back to 119 which i doubt he will not dominate cliff cornett who beat him last year at state may be back if not 119 then 112 and if he goes 112 then zarth of HC will give chiu a heck of match if not beat him

You are very likely correct that a weight class one year is tougher than it is the next. I admit the 2003 119 class was insane and was the best that class was in a few years. A single weight class though. The same will be said about 145 of this year.

Don't make the mistake of taking one weight class thats like that and applying it to the rest coming to a conclusion thats not likely. This applies to all weight classes ? Thats like saying two years from now, that since the 145 pound class was brutal all the weight classes were just so much better this year than they were in this down year of 08.

One more thing to consider ... a lot of the guys you have in there were never talked about the way they are now when they wrestled 119. Most notably Thuneman and Scott. I'm not ready to say that when they were at 119 they were so much more dominant than the guys at 119 this year.

Derek Scott this year would beat any of the guys at 119, but he didn't wrestle 119 this year. He was only a sophomore when he did. Remember that. Don't make the mistake of superimposing a guy's junior or senior year onto his freshman or sophomore years. You've done the same thing with Courtney, he was not a beast overall that year if you were to not consider his age. Unbelievable for 7th grade, but wasn't able to beat any top people when in 7th grade. If he had been of normal age no one would have noticed him that year ... but just cause he was 7th grade doesn't mean he outwrestled the top guys. Peters was pretty good ... but bolding his name ... come on .. there are several guys today that could beat him. He's on par with any 5th place finisher.

What i'm saying is its WAY to early to know how some of these matchups would play out. Of course Ruschelle would win, but after that its pretty murky until you see how the underclassman improve. If a guy is awesome as a senior, it doesn't mean he was awesome as a sophomore.

i disagree i think first off jon chiu will not be a 119 next year solely by the fact it seemed like he struggled to make 119 this year, secondly ervin will be back in a stacked 119 class with ervin,parks,luna, and either cliff cornett or matt zarth of henry clay(one will choose to lose weight to 112)

ervin took chiu to double overtime and cornett beat chiu 6-5 in the quarters

Well i disagree with you. I worked with jon all through last season, he didn't struggle to make 119 at all, usually weighing in at 117. He only weighs about 128 right now, and as for the cornett thing, it was the pressure of state, not cornett, it was his first time in the quarter finals, don't expect it to happen again. Earlier in the season jon pinned him in the second period. The bottom line is chui will be back at 119 and he will be a force to be reconed with.

Sometimes good wrestlers get upset gatorade12, especially at state, just cause jon lost one to cornett doesn't mean that he isn't good. He beat many good wrestlers this season, including daniel murner. After he lost he came back and took his rightful place on the podium. if you don't think he deserved it your ignorant, he beat wood 10-0(granted he was not at 100%), then Byran Daniels 9-5 to go for 3rd & 4th. Lets just wait and see what happeneds.

well i watched the jon chiu cliff cornett match and it was a great one, cornett took him down 3 times 2 in the last 30 seconds of the match, and from what i heard cliff told me at the border wars that he was going 112 next year which meant he wasnt weighing even close to 119 all last year and as for the pressure of state every wrestler has to deal with that it wasnt just chui who went through that