Sign in to follow this  
CCFullerHWT

Raider Rumble

As long as Ky and a few other states allow it ,  it will be taken advantage of.  It's not the kids or his parents' fault. Write to the Ky KHSAA or legislature and see if you can get it changed. Good luck.

As long as Ky and a few other states allow it ,  it will be taken advantage of.  It's not the kids or his parents' fault. Write to the Ky KHSAA or legislature and see if you can get it changed. Good luck.

Regrettable, it just shows how far behind Kentucky is when the Northern States can send their middle schools wrestlers to Kentucky to pursue a state championship. :oops:

Kentucky wrestling has come a long away the past 5 years, we have great, programs, kids, and even some great wrestlers.  But we have a long Way to go :wink:

Yes, The state should look into this to keep it on the up and up.

If Trinity allowed middle school kids to wrestle Varsity would Mark Hall be at Trinity :?

I guess Ryle is the next Blair Academy for National Middle School Students, it will be embarrassing for Kentucky wrestling when Mark Hall goes back to Michigan for his high school career.

If Hall stays at Ryle for his career, then no one has any room to comment about this situation. :evil:

Until then lets enjoy the great wrestling that this young man brings to Kentucky.

Don't be mad about out of state kids stealing alway our championships, lets just work harder and develop our own. :wink:

What exactly do you mean by if Ky continues to allow it?

And what do you want changed?

If it is about the middle school kids wrestling varsity, I'm not sure why you should be against it. If a kid is good enough to wrestle varsity as a middle schooler he should have every right to wrestle.  If parents wants to move in and have their middle schoolers wrestler fine.  It will only make the KY kids better in the long run.

"it will only make Ky kids better in the long run"  I agree with you on that point but there seems to be a bit more to it than that. First off, I don't know first hand, only what I have heard, but apparently the father makes no bones about the fact that they are only here for wrestling season and then plans to move back to Michigan, then repeat the whole process next year. Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this being allowed? If they had planned to move here and make residence here for the next two years then move back after the boys 8th grade year, fine, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Again let me point out, I don't know this first hand, but I heard this from someone in the Ryle program.

Another thing to keep in perspective here, we are not talking about just another 7th grade kid. This family lives for wrestling. Every time I can remember being at Jeff Jordan's with my son who is about the same weight, this kid has always been there. EVERY TIME! He is a numerous time national champion. A Trinity award winner. He has most likely won all of the W.O.W Roller national tournaments. So lets keep this in perspective here, its not like any and all 7th or 8th grade kids from Michigan or Ohio will just roll in and dominate our high school kids. This kid is one in several thousands, maybe more! He is this good because he lives wrestling and will certainly dominate in Michigan when he gets to high school there.

That being said, do I agree with what is taking place here? If what I hear is true and they will only be here for four months out of the year then repeat next year, absolutely not! If they plan on staying two years then returning, heck yes, and I take my hat off to the boys father for being that committed to his son future and his wrestling. For those of you who say even if the rumors of returning right after the season then doing it again next year is true, so what, what is the big deal? Well, let this kid or any other in the same situation be the one that knocks your son out of a State title on Saturday, then move back to their home state the following Monday and see what kind of a taste is left in your mouth.

I don't think it would be such a bad thing if wrestlers from other states moved in to compete, even if it was just only for a year. This will only force the level of wrestling in KY to continue to increase to keep up.

I hope you are right, otherwise, we are seeing the opening of a can of worms that could get out of hand. As said before though, if they plan to make residence here for the next two years , I welcome them and think its great that a kid of his caliber wrestle here!

What exactly do you mean by if Ky continues to allow it?

And what do you want changed?

If it is about the middle school kids wrestling varsity, I'm not sure why you should be against it. If a kid is good enough to wrestle varsity as a middle schooler he should have every right to wrestle.  If parents wants to move in and have their middle schoolers wrestler fine.  It will only make the KY kids better in the long run.

One of the problems with allowing middle school wrestlers to wrestle varsity is that under the current rules it is only permitted for some and not all.  For a lot of middle school kids that don't attend a "feeder" school/program they are not eligible.

Either open it up to all middle schoolers or get rid of it.  States that don't allow it is not because they don't have kids that aren't good enough.  It is supposed to be a HIGH SCHOOL Championship.

I for one love the fact that ms kids can wrestle varsity.  It really helps in their development...our state isnt that good in the lower weights yet and this helps the kids get better.  Remember the couple years when they couldnt in the 90's.  Much better now.

I dislike the ruling.  Sure it's nice to fill the line up or when you have MS studs to place but It puts the coaches both MS and HS in a bind when comes to competition and practice.  Sooner or later, mom and dad jump in.  "why is this kid wrestling up and mine isn't?" or "why can he practice with the varsity but compete with the MS?'  Crap like that.  It would definitely make it easier on the coaches.  It should be one or the other.

With that being said, the number of MS programs has increased drammatically over the years.  It is about time for the KHSAA to re-evaluate this ruling. 

I dislike the ruling.  Sure it's nice to fill the line up or when you have MS studs to place but It puts the coaches both MS and HS in a bind when comes to competition and practice.  Sooner or later, mom and dad jump in.  "why is this kid wrestling up and mine isn't?" or "why can he practice with the varsity but compete with the MS?'  Crap like that.  It would definitely make it easier on the coaches.  It should be one or the other.

With that being said, the number of MS programs has increased drammatically over the years.  It is about time for the KHSAA to re-evaluate this ruling.

If the kid wins the wrestle off why should it matter if hes in middle or high school?If mom and dad step in then just let them know hey if he wins the wrestle off the spot is his . I do agree to a certain extent if the kid is good enough to wrestle varsity for the high school and do well, why have him wrestle middle school and take the chance to get hurt? That never made sense to me.

Don't disagree with you PDaddy.  If he is good enough to wrestle high school then why bother with making a big Grandstand at the MS State championships.  OH yea, just so dad and coach can get their medal and points.

But don't have him do both or make it HS only.  Ben Jordan at Graham or Stephen Myers at Moeller or Hall from Ryle,  I am sure could have started HS in MS but couldn't.

Don't disagree with you PDaddy.  If he is good enough to wrestle high school then why bother with making a big Grandstand at the MS State championships.  OH yea, just so dad and coach can get their medal and points.

But don't have him do both or make it HS only.  Ben Jordan at Graham or Stephen Myers at Moeller or Hall from Ryle,  I am sure could have started HS in MS but couldn't.

what do you tell a child who worked  to win a middle school championship and as a by-product oh his hard work was able to get a spot on the varsity?  sorry you worked to hard  now you can't wrestle for what means the  to you the most.  great way to take a kids movitation away.

I agree with you , one or the other . Middle School is just to get you ready for the high school level. If youre already on the H.S, level why do both?

Just because the high school has an open spot you can fill and maybe even make it to state, doesn't mean you're ready for varsity.  Some kids are wrestling varsity in the 7th and 8th grade because they are really good, other just happen to be the best at their school (2 totally different things). Also someone mentioned team points at the middle school level.  If you don't let the best kids participate than they shouldn't even give away trophies for team or meddles for individuals for that matter, because it doesn't mean anything. And if you don't think it means anything because it's just middle school, you haven't seen how hard these guys work and how much it means to them. 

Middle School is just to get you ready for the high school level.

Why diminish what some kids work hard for and accomplish?  A MS State Title has meaning.  That's like saying High School is just to get you ready for college and if you never wrestle past high school it was a waste.  I don't agree with that the same as I don't agree with saying middle school is ONLY to get you ready for high school.

Again, under the current rules only some of our MS kids have the option to wrestle HS.  The rest are shut out.  Totally unfair.

If you are good enough as a MSer to place or potentially win the state tournament at the HS level what is the point of wrestling at the MS state?  It is obvious you have higher goals than a MS championship. 

what do you tell a child who worked  to win a middle school championship and as a by-product oh his hard work was able to get a spot on the varsity?  sorry you worked to hard  now you can't wrestle for what means the  to you the most.  great way to take a kids movitation away.

Totally missing my point.

If you are good enough as a MSer to place or potentially win the state tournament at the HS level what is the point of wrestling at the MS state?  It is obvious you have higher goals than a MS championship.

Remember these are at most 14 year old kids.  They are still kids and enjoy winning and receiving medals of any kind.  Let them earn all the awards they are entitled to. That would include a middle school state championship.  We are here for the kids.  Maybe they are showing some maturity by dropping back to middle school to help the team.  This is teaching a kid to sacrifice.  He is missing a high school event by returning to middle school region and state.

grapplehead.

don't mean to be argumentive but how am i missing your point. the post I replyed to had the quote "Oh yea, so dad and the coach can get their medal and points." Which implies that the only reason that these kids wrestle is for the glory that it reflects on their dad and coaches.

I was pointing out that many kids work for a middle school championship, they value it even if they are good enough to wrestle in high school.