bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

blevins placed at state.  lost in Ot to baker in semis, he tooled him two weeks before state but didnt wrestle his best in that match.  he beat the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th place guys that year, but ended up sixth.  what school did you wrestle for?

Wrong guy wrestling4life;  Blevins wrestled Hwt both his Jr. and Sr. year.  He did wrestle a couple of matches at 215 his Jr. year. (I beleive only in the NKAC).  He prefered wrestling the big guys.  I can only remember 1 guy he never defeated at 215 or lower. SK?

eric preher-valley

darren mitchell-doss

james linker-prp

sam durbin-fairdale

clifford johnson-southern

damon luttrell-fairdale

tony perry-valley

mcdonald-fairdale then transferred to valley and was unable to wrestle

eric preher-valley

darren mitchell-doss

james linker-prp

sam durbin-fairdale

damon luttrell-fairdale

tony perry-valley

Being a region 3 fan and supporter its hard to say but since I have been around (10 years),  we have not really had anyone that would crack the main list.  I will say that all the people you mentioned were great wrestlers that had a shot at winning a title.  I would add to your list Chris Sullivan, Gary Jennings, Cody Moy from prp, James Badgett(BC), Justin Medlin(Western) to name a few that came up short.

eric preher-valley

darren mitchell-doss

james linker-prp

sam durbin-fairdale

damon luttrell-fairdale

tony perry-valley

Actually, McDonald placed 4th in 2000 for Valley.  He then transfered to PRP and was ineligable to wrestle his senior year.  And, I must say, the names old140 added were some good ones.

Actually, McDonald placed 4th in 2000 for Valley.  He then transfered to PRP and was ineligable to wrestle his senior year.  And, I must say, the names old140 added were some good ones.

thanks...knew it was something like that

Shetler from South Oldham in 98 couldnt have been that good I beat him at state by pin in the first period and I only wrestled two months of my life before state my senior year.  Not that I am awsome by any means ...right the opposite actually thats my point. Maybe he was injured or something because I think he screamed in pain when I pinned him.  Then the refs may have stopped the match after that, so I dont know if I got the pin or they stopped the match... But the ref slapped the mat and seemed as though I pinned him.  I only got 5th place too so I dont know if getting beat by a no body who learned three moves before state makes you one of the all time greats.  I dont know maybe he was.  Hey maybe I was one of the greats....uhh definatley not.  Would have been cool to learn more moves early on as a freshman at least or something.  Athletic ability only gets you so far.  Not to mention I wrestled like I was fighting just no punches.  Took every match personally.  I wanted to destroy opponents and I think that mean streak is what got me through.  Again maybe he was previously injured before the match  who knows.

There are several names that come to mind who I feel need to be in this list.

Marc Barrett of Campbell County

Dave Fuehner of Simon Kenton 2X State Runner Up

Cliff Woods of Simon Kenton

John Roth of Simon Kenton, he was ranked 1st all year his senior year, he beat Pat Martz of Conner 4 out of the 5 times he wrestled him.

Mike Bankemper of Campbell County

Danny Barnes of Simon Kenton

Gary Alphin of Simon Kenton

what about CURT LISKA (scott), i dont think he ever won....might be wrong

Curt was a stud too, he never won it.  i believe he lost to kyle cooper (SK)in the finals, but he beat him every other time they wrestled i believe, i know he beat him at regionals the week before, just lost when it mattered the most

Just thought of an interesting fact some of the folks new to KY wrestling may not know. If you've followed UK football, you know senior defensive tackle Myron Pryor. Here's a fairly recent link about him: http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011409aad.html

What you may not know, however, is that Myron wrestled for Eastern High his freshman and sophmore years and started the season his junior year. He couldn't make weight, though, and ended up dropping out. At the time heavyweight was 275 max, and Myron weighed around 285. Myron could bench press more than anyone at Eastern then and now, and he was also very fast for a guy his size. He just manhandled the guys he wrestled.

Since Myron got recruited by KY and is likely going to the NFL, he didn't need wrestling, but it's fun to think of what might have been.

There are several names that come to mind who I feel need to be in this list.

Marc Barrett of Campbell County

Dave Fuehner of Simon Kenton 2X State Runner Up

Cliff Woods of Simon Kenton

John Roth of Simon Kenton, he was ranked 1st all year his senior year, he beat Pat Martz of Conner 4 out of the 5 times he wrestled him.

Mike Bankemper of Campbell County

Danny Barnes of Simon Kenton

Gary Alphin of Simon Kenton

John Roth lost to Pat Martz 4 out of 5 times they wrestled.    Dave Barnes did win state.