Sign in to follow this  
high crotch

Qualify For Fargo

Does any know if you have to attend freestyle state to qualify or if the state will just automatically give you a spot because of the low number of ky wrestlers who attend Fargo?

Also, if you do have to attend freestyle state, do you have to make the weight you wish to wrestle at Fargo?

Does any know if you have to attend freestyle state to qualify or if the state will just automatically give you a spot because of the low number of ky wrestlers who attend Fargo?

Also, if you do have to attend freestyle state, do you have to make the weight you wish to wrestle at Fargo?

YES and YES

This is sad, almost pathetic.  High schoolers, go to the qualify and then Fargo.  Are you guys scared of the rest of the country or just freestyle?

This is sad, almost pathetic.  High schoolers, go to the qualify and then Fargo.  Are you guys scared of the rest of the country or just freestyle?

Exactly. Go get some. But to answer the question, yes you have to qualify, freestyle state being the easiest. And whatever weight you qualify at is the weight you have to wrestle at Fargo.

Its not that much different from Folkstyle, I always suggested to my kids not to shy away from it. For kids just starting Freestyle we told them to just wrestle folkstyle but be concious about not exposing your back. It worked very well for our kids and they picked up the unique aspects of Free very easily.

I suggest you compete in all the Freestyle and Greco tourneys you can, it will help your overall wrestling.

However, good training for freestyle and greco can be hard to come by here in the KY. KY just doesnt have the numbers and the time of year doesnt help either.

Probably any Coaches active during the spring and summer can teach and help you get ready. If your planning on going to Fargo (toughest tournament in the country) contact Coach Smith or Coach Gercak.

Fargo is great for any kids wanting to get the next level, its a great place to make a name and be recognized.

Its also filled with the baddest kids in the country, no shame in going 2 and out.

Its a long way to go for a wrestling tournament so if your going make it worthwhile and train like a mad man and be ready to compete.

I've heard the best thing to use in freestyle is throws. Can anyone confirm this? I've seen Cael and John hit those low singles but they almost had to perfect it to not get crotch lifted, right? Insight would be great.

Exactly. Go get some. But to answer the question, yes you have to qualify, freestyle state being the easiest. And whatever weight you qualify at is the weight you have to wrestle at Fargo.

JP, 385

Please get all the facts before you call someone out.

This is an injury situtation with ongoing P.T.  This post was to see if more time could be taken to heal or if training needed to be started now.

By the way, It may you feel  better to know,travel arrangements to Fargo have been made, vacation from work has been scheduled and a coach has been obtained.

P.S.

How about an apology

JP, 385

Please get all the facts before you call someone out.

This is an injury situtation with ongoing P.T.  This post was to see if more time could be taken to heal or if training needed to be started now.

By the way, It may you feel  better to know,travel arrangements to Fargo have been made, vacation from work has been scheduled and a coach has been obtained.

P.S.

How about an apology

Nowhere in the first post did he say anything about an injury or time to workout. He had two questions, and I answered them both. Apologize for what?

To be clear I wasn't calling out anyone in particular but rather the state as a whole.  Please make sure you know the intent of a person's post before you call them out.  Private messages work great for clarification of intent.

What I was complaining about was really the lack of participation in national tournaments by KY wrestlers.  To those who have gone I applaud them, but we need more of them, many many more.  That's why I was asking if KY wrestlers (as a whole) were scared of the rest of the country or just freestyle.

Jp, 385

thank you,

for your clarification, of your posts. I apologize if I offend you, however, the way the original post sounded to me as a call out of my son.  this goes to show we all need to be careful with our original posts and how we reply to them 

Its all good. To everyone that reads this thread; I've been, its insane. Definitely worth every bit of every dollar that you spend. Tons of fun and great wrestling. There will be some studs. If you have the chance to go, do it. Absolutely.

Only Freestyle and Greco, do both and get your moneys worth!

i know a lil bit of freestyle thats it, i don't want to embarrass myself out there cause I'm not good at freestyle or greco

where is a good place, or could someone tell me the rules/diffrence's between freestyle and folkstyle?

You will probably have to go to a club that teaches folkstyle, its kind of hard to explain. Its like wrestling folkstyle, except don't let your back break a 90 degree angle with the mat.

Here's a link to a thread from a couple of years ago where I explained the rules in a post.  As it says in my post there, others feel free to add on or correct.

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/smf/index.php?topic=2342.0

Here is a link to another thread with a link to what I think is the best highlight video ever.

http://www.kentuckywrestling.com/smf/index.php?topic=4760.0