Sign in to follow this  
ukpridewrestler

Wrestle Offs for Team Kentucky?

Rumor has it that there may be wrestle offs this year for the Team Kentucky Middle School spots to wrestle at Danville Nationals. These spots have been traditionally given to the state champions. What are your thoughts on this? Should 2 and 3 place wrestlers get a shot at the state champions, or is it the state champions right to wrestle at this tournament?

I am actually a mixed on this.

On one had you got the way it has been done the past couple of years, with the state champion getting his spot. And I am totally for that since this year I have a young man who planned on going since he won the 75 pound weight class but now on top of wrestling at youth state he has to take on all challengers too which I'm not to fond of.

But like thebrick said if your the best then you should have no problem beating who ever they throw in front of you. But to be quite honest, there are several weight classes that Kentucky doesn't have like 80 pounds and I think those weight classes should be the ones they wrestle off for. Not the one awarded to the champions at the state tournament. That is just my opinion on it thou.

The champions already won the wrestle off in my opinion.  The only spots that should be contested are the ones that don't closely correspond to a KY weight (80 lb.) or that the champion has decided to not fill (96 lb.).  With the exception of maybe 75 because there is no weight class at Danville for the 70 lb. champ.  I say if the 70 lb. champ can beat the 75 lb. champ then take the best.  In this case Binder is out 4-6 weeks with a bad shoulder so Wiley should have no challengers.  It really comes down to integrity.  Accept your defeat, move on, and let the ones who earned the spot have it.  My son is one of those that came in 2nd, and there is no way I would allow him to wrestle off a champion at any weight for their spot.

In my opinion it is not fair to allow the runners up or 3rd place guys to wrestle off the state champion. A perfect example of why this wouldn't be fair is wade holtsclaw and Logan wedding. Both of these wrestlers beat the 2 place wrestler not just once, but twice between regionals and state. What if after beating perez and canter twice, holtsclaw or wedding, the two that are obviously better wrestlers and yes should win, get caught or lose a close wrestleoff? Then the MOW of ms state and a highschool state placer would not be representing ky at nationals. This is why they should just keep it as the state champions bc they are the ones who obviously get it done on the big stage and not some stupid wrestle off. I think they are attempts of coaches to give their guys another shot at going to such a great tourney.

What if a kid had the chance to wrestle off the state champion on two conditions, the first being that the challenger is a state placer and second that the challenger has to beat the. champn two out of three times to gain the spot

What if a kid had the chance to wrestle off the state champion on two conditions, the first being that the challenger is a state placer and second that the challenger has to beat the. champn two out of three times to gain the spot

I think this would be fair.  However, the final decision needs to be left to the coaching staff in order to put together the most competitive squad possible to represent our state.  If Tim Ervin is associated with the team things will be handled in the correct manner.

There are state champs that very well could get knocked off in a wrestle off.  Alot of the weight classes are extremely competitive.  A different day could have given you a different outcome.  However, I believe the kids that won state should be the ones who represent Kentucky.  They earned it.

About 3 years ago when I was m.s. president, I suggested we have wrestle offs for team ky.  It was a big mistake on my part to be honest with you.  The way we did it was each kid that placed in the top 4 got a card inviting them to a wrestle off.  If you were interested you had to send me an email to confirm.  I thought we'd get a lot of kids interested.  We had 1 kid ask for a wrestle off.  It was in a weight class that did not correspond to a ky middle school weight class.  Honestly, the way it's always been done is just the coach hand picks the best team.  For all the weight classes that directly align with USAW weight classes, just take the state champ.  For weights that don't match exactly, just pick them or maybe have a wrestle off for those spots.   

if u have some wrestle offs you have do them all cause if you say well only some of u are good enough not to wrestle off but the others go at it

see what im saying?

I do see what you are saying.  I agree.  IF you are going to have a wrestle off, do it for all weight classes.  But in 90% of the weight classes, we would have simply been re-wrestling the state finals.  So if you were a state champ from Union County, would you like to drive three hours to Louisville to wrestle a 1 match wrestle off against a kid you beat the week before in the m.s. state finals?  You may like it, but I can guarantee your coach or parent wouldn't.  :)  So we decided to only do a wrestle off where a kid challenged for a spot.  And like my above post stated we only had 1 request for a wrestle off.  The rest of the weight classes no one even challenged.  Re-wrestling the state finals for a weight class that's already decided doesn't make sense. 

Aj will  not be out much longer than  2 weeks.I told him when he signed up to wrestle for team Kentucky that other states don't allow 6th graders and under to wrestle middle school and the lowest wt. class is 75lbs.He will be wrestling some tournaments this summer at 65 or 67lbs.Thats to much wt. and age to be giving up.Alot of them kids dropped down from 80 or so.But that being said I think with him being a state champ(and traveling to alot of tournaments in his KY singlet) If he wanted to wrestle off for the 75lb spot he should be able too, but I definitely do not encourage it.And I can't see wrestling off kids that wrestled in the finals because the winners got motivated when it counted and would probably do it again in the tournament,but may not for a wrestle off.