Sign in to follow this  
ptwrestling1

Most Outstanding Wrestler

I thought Harrison Courtney had it locked up. Being a four time state champ is awesome! I guess the coaches had different criteria to consider in determining the winner. Justin Davis did have a lot of exciting matches and manages to keep the action going. He always has us out of our seats when he wrestles! Both of these young men have a brigt future ahead of them!

Yeah your right. But its not most outstanding career. Its the most outstanding wrestler for that years state tournament. And him winning last year was probably the reason he didnt get it this year.

counting the entire season...who do you give most outstanding wrestler to? i say caleb ervin state champ 62-0 on the season.

My view it is most outstanding wrestler of the tournament, so his record before hand would not play in my decision.

My view it is most outstanding wrestler of the tournament, so his record before hand would not play in my decision.

thats wat everyone would like to be able to say but if i was voting, unfortunately, prior accomplishments would play a role in my voting

Davis, Courtney, and Ervin all wrestled extremely well.  But how could the coaches not vote for Fahy?  Because he's a freshman?  Because he wrestles 103?  Did they see how he dominated everyone?  1st round pin, t-falled Bracco 15-0, t-falled Willen 18-0, beat Paden 14-3, t-falled Milford 15-0 IN THE FINALS.  Did anyone else really wrestle better than that?

Justin Davis is very deserving of the MOW. Korey Shotwell gave him his very best moves and Justin stopped everything. I was extremely impressed with Justin. Korey's record in high school is 54-4, 58-5 (3 losses to Bryan Peace) , and now 62-4. Korey has wrestled and beat the top kids in Ohio division 1, 2 and 3 and none of them compare to the athleticism and quality of Justin Davis. I am a huge Justin Davis fan. If he wrestles in college, he will make a very impressive mark in the NCAA.

As a side note, has a 103 or 112 pounder ever won MOW. I have never been to a tournament where a light weight (103/112) has won MOW. Are coaches not impressed with the light guys??

The records I posted were Korey's as a freshman, sophomore and junior.  Korey has lost to and beaten very good wrestlers in the last 3 years. Justin is the very best kid he has wrestled including the top kids in Ohio. Justin could easily go and be very successful in division I NCAA. He is a take down machine. Justin is the only wrestler Korey has been unable to take down. Justin is very impressive.

Justin Davis is very deserving of the MOW. Korey Shotwell gave him his very best moves and Justin stopped everything. I was extremely impressed with Justin. Korey's record in high school is 54-4, 58-5 (3 losses to Bryan Peace) , and now 62-4. Korey has wrestled and beat the top kids in Ohio division 1, 2 and 3 and none of them compare to the athleticism and quality of Justin Davis. I am a huge Justin Davis fan. If he wrestles in college, he will make a very impressive mark in the NCAA.

As a side note, has a 103 or 112 pounder ever won MOW. I have never been to a tournament where a light weight (103/112) has won MOW. Are coaches not impressed with the light guys??

I believe David Richie won as a 112 pounder.

i agree davis is impressive on his feet, and with his stand up. but college is a whole new level. i think he'll meet a few studs out there that will be strong enough to hold him down, and that being said, he better learn to wrestle on the mat...if he cant already.

i agree davis is impressive on his feet, and with his stand up. but college is a whole new level. i think he'll meet a few studs out there that will be strong enough to hold him down, and that being said, he better learn to wrestle on the mat...if he cant already.

trust me, Davis can wrestle on the mat. He wrestles on the mat with Eastern alumni such as Robert Smith and Richard Brooks every day at practice, as well as his teammates. As far as his matches go, why choose to wrestle your opponents on the mat when you have such a superior advantage at neutral? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say JD would beat Courtney at the neutral position. Although Courtney definitely would have an extreme edge over davis on the mat.

I still dont see how Davis got it?? Granted he did win his 2nd title ,but to me he was not as impressive as some others!  John Fahy was more impressive>>pin in1:16,15-0 vs Bracco,18-0 vs Willen,14-3 ? vs Paden 2nd ranked and 15-0 in finalsvs Milford never taken down the whole tourney or the entire year in kentucky and Indiana! He totally dominated everyone he wrestled !!! Also Bradbury pinned his way to finals and then won 7-0 !!!  These were much better performances??? Anyone have any arguments?

I still dont see how Davis got it?? Granted he did win his 2nd title ,but to me he was not as impressive as some others!  John Fahy was more impressive>>pin in1:16,15-0 vs Bracco,18-0 vs Willen,14-3 ? vs Paden 2nd ranked and 15-0 in finalsvs Milford never taken down the whole tourney or the entire year in kentucky and Indiana! He totally dominated everyone he wrestled !!! Also Bradbury pinned his way to finals and then won 7-0 !!!  These were much better performances??? Anyone have any arguments?

Fahy is boring to watch, plus he's only a freshman and has lots of years to earn an MOW. Bradbury is good -- maybe he'll have a chance another year. BTW, remember it's the coaches who vote on MOW.

i don't know the criteria, 1- a power house guy that is supposed to win and indeed does so in an impressive fashion or 2 someone that no one expects to win but goes through all of the contenders and wins. i guess it comes down to a matter of opinion and everyone isn't going to be pleased regardless of the decision.

Yes Congrats to Davis..  David Ritchey Cald. Co.  3x er was a light weight.  Not sure if he was 119 or 112 as a sr though.