Sign in to follow this  
Ubtapinzson

Best Coaches

He has done a lot for the sport of wrestling in the whole state. He is always helping run tournaments and his dad always seems to be there announcing.

He runs very smooth tournaments much props to coach McCoy. Plus they do always have fresh singlets/warm ups.

i think chris mccoy is in the running for the top coaches because he does everything for his team and his region...when he started at lafayette they didnt even have matching singlets and now they always have kids that are in the running for a state championship...much props to coach mccoy and everyone he brings in

He's done a hell of a job. I know that when I go to a tournament he is running everything should go off without a hitch and we will be done at a resonable hour.

the henry clay head coach always looks well dressed not just at the state tourny

These are also 2 of the coaches that I have been very impressed with in the past few years (not just their style, their coaching as well).  Zarth is a very good technician, and they always seem to keep their cool in close matches.  It seems to rub off on their wrestlers.

i have seen headley throw a few fits in his days...especially at city, whenever the ref tried to award brandon stockwell two sets of back points for the same move against jack. not trying to take anything away from either of them, they are great coaches, but just saying i have seen a few words thrown around.

Yes, they are obviously great coaches, but Rusty Parks was the head coach when Woodford won all of their recent titles, not the Carrs. 

clearly you know nothing about the woodford wrestling program, so I'm done talking to an ill informed Indiana wrestling god.

clearly you know nothing about the woodford wrestling program, so I'm done talking to an ill informed Indiana wrestling god.

JoMamma was only backing up my post. The facts are clear. Since Rusty Parks left Woodford so have the state titles. That's not to say Parks could have accomplished those titles without Joe Carr. But, the Carrs have yet to win one without Rusty.

JoMamma was only backing up my post. The facts are clear. Since Rusty Parks left Woodford so have the state titles. That's not to say Parks could have accomplished those titles without Joe Carr. But, the Carrs have yet to win one without Rusty.

I love Coach Parks to death, always have and always will but as someone very close to the Woodford program I can tell you that Coach Carr has been the key to their success.  In my opinion the fall-off has been nothing but coincidental.  Again I'm not dissing Coach Parks but rather giving the credit where it is due.

I love Coach Parks to death, always have and always will but as someone very close to the Woodford program I can tell you that Coach Carr has been the key to their success.  In my opinion the fall-off has been nothing but coincidental.  Again I'm not dissing Coach Parks but rather giving the credit where it is due.

Anyone that has been around WCHS knows that while coach Parks was listed as the head coach, everyone knew that Coach Carr was the real coach. Hell, even my sister knew that when she was there in the mid 80's. Coach Parks is a great coach and they obviously made an amazing pair playing off each other's strengths, but the technique came from Coach Carr.

Alright, somewhere in between your head and your fingers typing, you seemed to have misunderstood what I was saying.  It happens so I'll forgive you.  My point was not to boast of Mater Dei's titles in Indiana.  I believe your original post said something to the effect of (this is just a paraphrase), 'it's nonsense for anyone to say there is such a thing as overcoaching.  To anyone who says that, how many state team titles do you have' or at least something along those lines.  I was simply stating that I have been a part of a few state team titles in my time for a school that is just as accomplished as Woodford and in a much tougher wrestling state so it's nonsense to say anyone who believes there is such a thing as overcoaching must not be "accomplished" or I guess just plain ignorant.  As far as this being Kentuckywrestling.com, you're right, at least that what the browser says at the top of my screen.  I would never have known that if you hadn't corrected me.  Must be the 13 state titles that made you realize that  (That was spiteful).  I never mentioned any Indiana coaches, I only mentioned other Kentucky coaches that I thought were successful and had not won a state team title to show that great coaches don't necessarily have to have a team title to be considered great or justify if they "overcoach" or not.  The coaches I also mentioned as not having a state team title also had different coaching styles so I was using them to illustrate that it's not the style of coaching that determines if a coach "overcoaches", it's what they say and when they say it, not necessarily how they say it.  Acutally come to think of it, the Carrs have not won any team titles as head coaches either so throw them on the list of great coaches never to have won a state team title.  Yes, they are obviously great coaches, but Rusty Parks was the head coach when Woodford won all of their recent titles, not the Carrs.  I didn't mean to challenge your Woodford manhood or your "alpha male wrestling" status in this state so take a deep breath & relax.  You guys are still the top dogs in Kentucky wrestling history.  Congratulations!!

no, no your taking it the wrong way, see what im saying is that people say there is this thing called over coached, but i say that what other people see as over coached, in this instance th Carrs, other people see it as a great coaching, in this instance woodford wrestlers. so it is nonscence to say that there is such thing as over coaced. and the comment on titles was to state that with out the Carrs "over coaching" woodford wouldn't have the titles today.

no, no your taking it the wrong way, see what im saying is that people say there is this thing called over coached, but i say that what other people see as over coached, in this instance th Carrs, other people see it as a great coaching, in this instance woodford wrestlers. so it is nonscence to say that there is such thing as over coaced. and the comment on titles was to state that with out the Carrs "over coaching" woodford wouldn't have the titles today.

No really I wasn't taking it the wrong way.  I'm saying there is such a thing as overcoached, but I'm not saying the Carrs overcoach.  People may think that the Carrs overcoach because of their enthusiasm during the match.  I'm saying it's not how a coach says something during a match (obviously the Carrs tend to get excited), it's what they're actually saying and when they say it.  In reality I don't believe the Carrs overcoach.  I've listened to what they say and when they give instructions during a match and obviously they know what to say and when to say something.  If you want to hear such a thing as overcoaching, the next time you're at a tournament, sit by a mat and listen to some of the younger, more inexperienced coaches (some veterans do it as well), especially in a close match.  They're all over the place with the instructions they give and say things at the most inappropriate times.  You may have thought I was dogging the Carrs, but I wasn't at all.  Every post I have made on this thread has said they are great coaches.  Also as far everyone saying Parks may have been the head coach, but the Carrs were the driving force behind the program, I don't want to hear any of you say 'well Rusty Parks was national coach of the year' back in whatever year it was because by some of your statements, he wasn't worthy of that title.  How can you be national coach of the year and not even be the best coach on your staff?  There is way more to coaching than just the field or the mat.  I think that is becoming apparent in the Woodford program.  Parks did a great job of bringing it all together.  Although a 2nd, 3rd & 6th place finish is nothing to be ashamed of, I see Woodford maybe even finishing lower than 6th next year with the "shoe-in" Courtney gone and no one considered the favorite to win their weight class next year (Travis K, Logsdon & Gentry have great chances, but they're not the favorites)

Now back to your comment of being an "ill informed Indiana wrestling god".  I never said I was a great wrestler (I was decent, not great).  I just said I was a part of a few successful teams in my time just as you may not have been a successful wrestler in your day, but was apparently part of a few of Woodford's state titles.  Please don't feel threatened by my posting anything about Woodford County other than praise.  I've tried to mention as little as Mater Dei as possible on this thread.  I only used them to illustrate my point because you're absolutely right, this is Kentucky wrestling.  That's why I have tried to make this as much about great coaches in KENTUCKY as possible.  You're the one that keeps trying to throw things back at me such as "This is Kentucky wrestling, no one cares about Indiana or Mater Dei" and "ill informed INDIANA wrestling god".  I think someone is feeling insecure or threatened.  Like I said before, you guys are still the top dogs in Kentucky wrestling history and as far as I know, Evansville is in no danger of being made part of the Commonwealth so Mater Dei won't be competing in the KHSAA anytime soon.

Anyway, to get back on the topic, my vote since I'm close to Louisville goes to Chuck Anderson.  Just about every year he has Seneca in the top 10-12 at state.  The only difference between he and the rest of the coaches in the top 10-12 is the fact that he does it without the benefit of a middle school feeder program.  He takes what he is given and in 4 years turns many of his kids into state placers, if not legitimate individual state champion contenders.  I know Trinity doesn't have a direct middle school feeder program, and not to take anything away from Coach Brown, but they have benefited from the Fern Creek youth program especially this year.  Speaking of Coach Brown, even though this is his 1st year as a head coach, I think he is a coach who will eventually make his mark on Kentucky wrestling.  I guess since he won a state title in his 1st year, people could say that he was the driving force behind Trinity's program the last few year, not Coach Rudolph.  Just kidding although he was a huge part of it.

No really I wasn't taking it the wrong way.  I'm saying there is such a thing as overcoached, but I'm not saying the Carrs overcoach.  People may think that the Carrs overcoach because of their enthusiasm during the match.  I'm saying it's not how a coach says something during a match (obviously the Carrs tend to get excited), it's what they're actually saying and when they say it.  In reality I don't believe the Carrs overcoach.  I've listened to what they say and when they give instructions during a match and obviously they know what to say and when to say something.  If you want to hear such a thing as overcoaching, the next time you're at a tournament, sit by a mat and listen to some of the younger, more inexperienced coaches (some veterans do it as well), especially in a close match.  They're all over the place with the instructions they give and say things at the most inappropriate times.  You may have thought I was dogging the Carrs, but I wasn't at all.  Every post I have made on this thread has said they are great coaches.  Also as far everyone saying Parks may have been the head coach, but the Carrs were the driving force behind the program, I don't want to hear any of you say 'well Rusty Parks was national coach of the year' back in whatever year it was because by some of your statements, he wasn't worthy of that title.  How can you be national coach of the year and not even be the best coach on your staff?  There is way more to coaching than just the field or the mat.  I think that is becoming apparent in the Woodford program.  Parks did a great job of bringing it all together.  Although a 2nd, 3rd & 6th place finish is nothing to be ashamed of, I see Woodford maybe even finishing lower than 6th next year with the "shoe-in" Courtney gone and no one considered the favorite to win their weight class next year (Travis K, Logsdon & Gentry have great chances, but they're not the favorites)

Now back to your comment of being an "ill informed Indiana wrestling god".  I never said I was a great wrestler (I was decent, not great).  I just said I was a part of a few successful teams in my time just as you may not have been a successful wrestler in your day, but was apparently part of a few of Woodford's state titles.  Please don't feel threatened by my posting anything about Woodford County other than praise.  I've tried to mention as little as Mater Dei as possible on this thread.  I only used them to illustrate my point because you're absolutely right, this is Kentucky wrestling.  That's why I have tried to make this as much about great coaches in KENTUCKY as possible.  You're the one that keeps trying to throw things back at me such as "This is Kentucky wrestling, no one cares about Indiana or Mater Dei" and "ill informed INDIANA wrestling god".  I think someone is feeling insecure or threatened.  Like I said before, you guys are still the top dogs in Kentucky wrestling history and as far as I know, Evansville is in no danger of being made part of the Commonwealth so Mater Dei won't be competing in the KHSAA anytime soon.

Anyway, to get back on the topic, my vote since I'm close to Louisville goes to Chuck Anderson.  Just about every year he has Seneca in the top 10-12 at state.  The only difference between he and the rest of the coaches in the top 10-12 is the fact that he does it without the benefit of a middle school feeder program.  He takes what he is given and in 4 years turns many of his kids into state placers, if not legitimate individual state champion contenders.  I know Trinity doesn't have a direct middle school feeder program, and not to take anything away from Coach Brown, but they have benefited from the Fern Creek youth program especially this year.  Speaking of Coach Brown, even though this is his 1st year as a head coach, I think he is a coach who will eventually make his mark on Kentucky wrestling.  I guess since he won a state title in his 1st year, people could say that he was the driving force behind Trinity's program the last few year, not Coach Rudolph.  Just kidding although he was a huge part of it.

ok whatever guy, just drop it. i never said you were dogging wofo, and i don't need to defend wofo (the titles do it themselves) soo what ever you think over coaching is GREAT!!!!! good for you, you do something to those young coaches who over coach, and as for me (to stay on topic) my vote still goes with the carrs, best coaches in the state if not the best duo of coaches in the nation.

ok whatever guy, just drop it. i never said you were dogging wofo, and i don't need to defend wofo (the titles do it themselves) soo what ever you think over coaching is GREAT!!!!! good for you, you do something to those young coaches who over coach, and as for me (to stay on topic) my vote still goes with the carrs, best coaches in the state if not the best duo of coaches in the nation.

Fair enough.  You're entitled to your opinion no matter if it's right or wrong.  As for me, I've said all along I think the Carrs are great coaches and nobody, no matter how much people may hate Woodford, can deny that.  Coach Walls and Coach Ervin from Union are right there with them as far as coaching duos go.  Two state titles and a runner-up finish in the last three years says it all and with more Ervins on the way, they'll be in the state title hunt for years to come.  With no disrespect to other coaches, my top 10 current coaches (in no particular order) would be Carrs, Walls/Ervin, Anderson, Ruschell, Bankemper, Canter, Matney, Smith (North Hardin), McCoy & Brown.

Fair enough.  You're entitled to your opinion no matter if it's right or wrong.  As for me, I've said all along I think the Carrs are great coaches and nobody, no matter how much people may hate Woodford, can deny that.  Coach Walls and Coach Ervin from Union are right there with them as far as coaching duos go.  Two state titles and a runner-up finish in the last three years says it all and with more Ervins on the way, they'll be in the state title hunt for years to come.  With no disrespect to other coaches, my top 10 current coaches (in no particular order) would be Carrs, Walls/Ervin, Anderson, Ruschell, Bankemper, Canter, Matney, Smith (North Hardin), McCoy & Brown.

Andy Critchfield at Henry Clay and Zac Donnely at Franklin County have done more in a very short time than a couple coaches you listed. OVerall, your list is pretty accurate, though.