Sign in to follow this  
Ubtapinzson

Best Coaches

Yes, I'd like to know what you mean by that because the coaches shouldn't be allowed to interfere in the match. IMHO, several coaches are too involved in their wrestlers' matches, and the Carrs are some of them. As a spectator, I've had instances where they were in my way of trying to see the match and just plain annoying.

Besides, I'd like to hear from some wrestlers who get yelled directions while they're wrestling. Do you like that? Can you even focus on what they're saying?

I think the coaches help is more important than a spectators vision. You can always move, the coaches have to be in that corner.

Yes, I'd like to know what you mean by that because the coaches shouldn't be allowed to interfere in the match. IMHO, several coaches are too involved in their wrestlers' matches, and the Carrs are some of them. As a spectator, I've had instances where they were in my way of trying to see the match and just plain annoying.

Besides, I'd like to hear from some wrestlers who get yelled directions while they're wrestling. Do you like that? Can you even focus on what they're saying?

i personally absolutely love it, theres a joke where every one says you can't understand a word coach car says. thats true until your wrestling because for me i can't hear anything except what the big man is saying, or jojo, but all jojo says is either "Snap, yes yes, fake, get him off your head, yes yes. you don't know what im talking about :-D. haha. nway to answer your question we all love he carrs deeply to the point of family and we back them up with what ever they think s right. so if they think thy have the right t be close on the mat, than we think they have that right. ohh and if you can't see, get another set cause coach carr isn't moving for you.

Glad I could provide a laugh.  :-D Good discussion and none of it really means anything. I'm glad you Woodford guys love your coaches. Many times, when an adult is asked who was the most important influence in his or her life, it's a coach. They play an unbelievably important role in young lives.

I think your reading into his post a little too much.  I believe what he was trying to say wasn't the fact that the Carrs try to interfere with other wrestlers.  What he was trying to say was that if another wrestler becomes distracted by the Carrs as a byproduct of their coaching and loses focus on his opponent, then that's to his advantage.  Lose focus on your opponent and you're in trouble.  It's kind of like when a wrestler loses his cool during a match.  More often than not they start to focus on whatever it is that's bothering them like poor officiating, etc.  If they lose focus on what their out there to do (i.e. wrestling), then the advantage goes to their opponent.  I'm thinking that is more along the lines of what he meant by his comment.

Most kids are over coached while they are wrestling just let them wrestle. That is why we have practice to get them ready for a match. When they are wrestling a coach should be seen and heard very little. Wrestlers should be so focused that they don't hear anything except the whistle. I have seen kids lose matches because they were looking at there coach and not wrestling.

Most kids are over coached while they are wrestling just let them wrestle. That is why we have practice to get them ready for a match. When they are wrestling a coach should be seen and heard very little. Wrestlers should be so focused that they don't hear anything except the whistle. I have seen kids lose matches because they were looking at there coach and not wrestling.

To a point, I disagree.  Yes I agree that there are coaches who "overcoach".  However, there is a reason for having a coach in your corner.  Often times a coach can seen things from a different perspective than what the wrestler may be feeling on the mat.  Different vantage point, different perspective.  He might see something that's open that his wrestler can use to his advantage that the wrestler can't see.

most of the time my coach wont even try and get my attention while im wrestling. he/they will yell something simple to me inbetween periods, bloodtime, or while im wlking bak to the center waiting for the other person to start down. Always simple

most of the time my coach wont even try and get my attention while im wrestling. he/they will yell something simple to me inbetween periods, bloodtime, or while im wlking bak to the center waiting for the other person to start down. Always simple

Exactly!  Sounds like your coaches don't overcoach.  They simply might see something you're doing that you don't notice you're doing and let you know.  Or they might see something your opponent is doing that you don't see.  It might be something as simple as you're carrying your elbow high during the collar tie.

this is a story coach parks told me one time at a family reunion(im his cousin). coach parks was looking for a partner to coach this high school team, Woodford(hail haha j/k) he got this guy that had wrestled for UK , won an sec title, and had other very impressive stats. he instantly liked this guy Joe Carr, stayed at his house a few times. one time the two went to a coaches convention somewhere in the north i forget, any way Dan Gable was giving a little speech and he ended it with," But i don't know why im up here speaking, because the best technition in the nation is sitting right there in the crowd, Mr. Joe Carr. Coach Parks said he about fainted, and to me thats where the real tradition started. i don't think Jeff Jordan would say very much of anything to coach Carr, other than showing respect. and it seems like every time coach Carr goes to the NCAA finals, every coach from every college makes sure they say something to coach Carr.

It amazes me that a lot of guys don't realize how good their coaches are until they get away from the program. Sure the Woodford guys know about Joe Sr and Jr's stats, but I've talked to a couple of guys that were wrestling collegiately and they were complaining that their college coach wasn't very good or didn't really know what he was doing. I told them, think about who was your coach in high school. You can almost see the light bulb above their heads light up as they realize how much they learned from Coach Carr. I'm sure there are a lot of others on here that have seen that as well when they get away from their high school.

My father is 65, and played college basketball but he still talks about how much he learned from his high school coach. You should thank your coach for everything he does for you because you will no truly understand until you look back.

Kinda like this ?

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/reid_mason00.html 

Mason Reid

Class:

Freshman

Hometown:

Union, Ky.

High School:

Ryle

Weight:

PREP: State champion his junior and senior seasons at Larry A. Ryle High School ... Led the Raiders to two second place finishes and a fourth place finish in the state playoffs during his time there ... Finished fifth at the Beast of the East tournament.

PERSONAL: Born Sept. 13, 1990 ... Son of Lee and Leeann Reid ...Undecided on a major ... Lists his high school coaches, Tim Ruschell and Rick Barker, as his biggest wrestling influences.

Mason Reid

Class:

Freshman

Hometown:

Union, Ky.

High School:

Ryle

Weight:

PREP: State champion his junior and senior seasons at Larry A. Ryle High School ... Led the Raiders to two second place finishes and a fourth place finish in the state playoffs during his time there ... Finished fifth at the Beast of the East tournament.

PERSONAL: Born Sept. 13, 1990 ... Son of Lee and Leeann Reid ...Undecided on a major ... Lists his high school coaches, Tim Ruschell and Rick Barker, as his biggest wrestling influences.

Did I see Reid in the stands while watching the MSU UofM match on the Big 10 network last week? I understand he has redshirted. If that was him, he needs haircut.

over coached?? thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard. from the people that say some coaches over coach, i have a question, how many state titles do you have? I'm not talking about you individually or champ teams you were apart of i mean how many state titles do you have in your school's history. put that in comparison to woodford who would most def. fit into your category of over coached.

over coached?? thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard. from the people that say some coaches over coach, i have a question, how many state titles do you have? I'm not talking about you individually or champ teams you were apart of i mean how many state titles do you have in your school's history. put that in comparison to woodford who would most def. fit into your category of over coached.

I think some coaches tend to overcoach a little.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be.  Sometimes you can't even understand what they're saying they hollar so much.  None of the coaches I've had personally, but I've definitely seen them.  Anyway, Kentucky10, I guess I'm one of those guys who say some coaches can overcoach.  Oh, and by the way, I wrestled at Mater Dei in Indiana in the early '90s.  I'd be more than happy to compare our state titles to Woodford's any day if you would like to continue that debate.

I think some coaches tend to overcoach a little.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be.  Sometimes you can't even understand what they're saying they hollar so much.  None of the coaches I've had personally, but I've definitely seen them.  Anyway, Kentucky10, I guess I'm one of those guys who say some coaches can overcoach.  Oh, and by the way, I wrestled at Mater Dei in Indiana in the early '90s.  I'd be more than happy to compare our state titles to Woodford's any day if you would like to continue that debate.

yeeoouuuch.

Did I see Reid in the stands while watching the MSU UofM match on the Big 10 network last week? I understand he has redshirted. If that was him, he needs haircut.

I doubt it, since he is listed on the roster as having a 2-3 record.

You know I honestly apologize if my last post seemed spiteful.  I didn't mean anything negative towards the Woodford coaching staff at all.  The Carrs are great coaches, very knowledgable of the sport and yes they are known nationwide, but trying to throw out how many state championships a school has won in order to justify whether or not a coach is great or if they "overcoach" to me, is just plain ridiculous.  I'm fairly new to high school wrestling in Kentucky, but to my knowledge coaches like Phil Coombs, Chuck Anderson, Gary Canter and Tim Ruschell have not led a team to a state championship and would I say they should be considered as some of the best coaches in the state.  I think most everyone would agree with me on that one.  The coaches who overcoach tend to be the younger, newer coaches.  Sometimes they tend to forget they in the corner now and not on the mat.  They get pretty intense.  I can't limit it to just the younger coaches, but they tend to be the ones I notice the most.  Woodford has actually won more state titles than Mater Dei.  We've only won 12 in our school's history (I think Woodford has 13), but I'd put our 12 against their 13 any day.  I mean no offense to the Woodford fans, coaches and wrestlers by that either, but give me a break.

personally id throw coach william green. i swear this man forgets more about wrestling then most people even know wrestling in high school.hahaha. i memember one time we were wrestling in practice and i hit something i dont remember what it was but he was like"woooo that was nice where did you learn that" he didnt remember he had showed me that summer. anyone from lexington and even coachcarr him self can agree on that since caoch carr and caoch green both wrestled at UK together and both were SEC champions i think. he actually caoched chris mccoy the coach of lafayette. that man has been around a while.

id also so that the coach at harridson county should be mentioned doesnt he have like the national dual meet record or something.