Sign in to follow this  
cougars_119

most exciting weight class.

HWT isnt always boring.. i find it pretty exciting when i see a 275LB guy getting picked up and slammed onto the mat. this doesnt happen very often but when it does it always gets me fired up.

HWT isnt always boring.. i find it pretty exciting when i see a 275LB guy getting picked up and slammed onto the mat. this doesnt happen very often but when it does it always gets me fired up.

AMEN!!  i know in a lot of peoples opinions the best state finals match they ever saw was at heavyweight in '01. the final score was like 18-13 or something crazy.  i was there, it was definately the most exciting match i ever seen

Mike Clark vs. Bryan Hall was an exciting match at state back when woodford won with like 5 state champs. Bryan Hall had like 10 seconds left and hit a sweet blast double on Clark, who was the returning state champ from trinity, and got the win to go to the finals.

Every once in a blue moon, KY will have a few 285's that are technical and fit, but for the most part, this is not the case. Take any top 6 ranked wrestler from 103-189, if these same wrestlers could weight 275 but keep their proportions, they would win state in almost every instance.

i like to watch 103-125 cause of all the scrambes...HVT doesnt really have alot of scrambles

I agree, scrambles are way more common and easier to force at the light weight. You tend to see a lot more movement in them too, probably because 103-125's usually don't try to muscle each other over.

I agree, scrambles are way more common and easier to force at the light weight. You tend to see a lot more movement in them too, probably because 103-125's usually don't try to muscle each other over.

i agree with this. 103-125 is the best to watch in my opinion

I think the middle weights are the best to watch.  The majority of high school kids are middle weights to begin with and that makes for some deep classes.  I enjoy watching the small guys but it seems like there is always a stud or two that are a lot better than everyone else.  The upper weights depend to much on strength opposed to technique.

The margin for error is just too small with 275 pounds on you. ergo they take less risk and people precieve that as "boring". It is just different, that's all. There are plenty of defensive stalling types in the lower weights too. I think you saw that in the Fahy/Paden match.

I think the middle weights are the best to watch.  The majority of high school kids are middle weights to begin with and that makes for some deep classes.  I enjoy watching the small guys but it seems like there is always a stud or two that are a lot better than everyone else.  The upper weights depend to much on strength opposed to technique.

100% agree, Old 140. In the middle weights, you'd better know what you're doing, and it doesn't always matter if you have a lot of strength if you know the moves.

I think 119,125,135,140,152,160 is the toughest

119,125,135 is usually speed with muscle.

140,152,160 is usually pure muscle with some speed but not as much as the lower weight classes

125 is almost always the most balanced weight class in terms of strength to technique. Last year our 130 had a winning record with no technique to speak of. Technique is still more important up to 160 then it switches over to strength. And once you reach 215 and Heavy one single move can change an entire match, like a random head and arm