Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Rankings data

I'm not sure how many of you ever look at the Brakeman reports, but it is some very interesting information that a guy puts together over in Ohio.  He does a ranking for each division (I, II, and III) by weight with a lot of details and district breakdowns.  It is so much information that he is only able to do it once per season.  It is like a 100 page report.  Pretty good stuff.  But the part of the report that caught my attention tonight was what he calls a report audit.  Basically, how did I do?  So I figured why not use the same stats to "grade" myself and see how I compare with the Brakeman report.  These numbers are an average of the last 2 seasons for both states.

How did the top ranked wrestler fare?

Ranger              Brakeman

1st             64%                   64%

2nd             14%                   19%

3rd              14%                    8%

4th               4%                    5%

lower             4%                   4%

What was state champ ranked going into state?

Ranger              Brakeman

1st             64%                   64%

2nd              7%                   18%

3rd               4%                    7%

4th              11%                   4%

lower            14%                   7%

What do you think?

You are alot smarter than you look Ranger, but I guess you'd have to be.  LOL just kidding.  I have watched the brakeman report for 15 years, not so much in the past 5. 

Seriously, you have done great with the information and results given to you.  Some people complain and don't understand what and how you are doing it.

I am not a big fan of the rankings but I applaud your efforts. 

My suggestion is to spend less effort ranking anyone below the 12 spot and spend more time gathering info on the top 8. This may improve those numbers.  But comparing the two, you are right on the money. 

You should have kept that info to yourself and started a little booky action.

Pretty good results, you do a great job Ranger, I think you have added a lot of interest to the sport.

I enjoy your rankings but I dont know if I want to read a 100 page report haha.

As much work as you put into KY, just think how much Brakeman is putting into a state the size of Ohio with 3 divisions.

Do the KWCA rankings still exist? If so how are they published?

Pretty good results, you do a great job Ranger, I think you have added a lot of interest to the sport.

I enjoy your rankings but I dont know if I want to read a 100 page report haha.

As much work as you put into KY, just think how much Brakeman is putting into a state the size of Ohio with 3 divisions.

Do the KWCA rankings still exist? If so how are they published?

I hear you eville.  I have to take small bites or just focus on the weight/division I'm interested in at the moment.

I have only seen one version of the KWCA rankings this year.  With Coach Coomes not going full time now I think he is getting less information than before.  I'll leave it at that.

Ranger as I look at these results, it appears that most of the time there is a clear cut choice for #1 about 2/3rds of the time.  When you look at the runner up and third place winners you almost have to consider those as one number considering how the brackets work out the 1 and 2 guys might be on the same side.  So it is possible that the third placer may actually be second best but have a bad draw.  Recalculating your numbers in that way may actually show a closer number than the huge fall between 1 and 2.  Just an observation.

We all appreciate your work here. But, The Brakeman Report sounds so much cooler than Ranger's ranking. Are you working on a cable TV deal too? Maybe you should get with Danger and start on YouTube.

I rather enjoy the way your rankings come out once a week rather than once a year.  I know it gives the kids something to look at and talk about and create interest.  No one is wanting your rankings to be perfect (except you of course).  If you had a 100% success rate we could stop going to Frankfort everyyear.  Also it makes a kid that topples an unbeatable number 1 even more proud of his accomplishment.  Don't get me wrong, I am a data freak but too much makes wading through rather boring.  The most helpful tool would be getting accurate data from across the state which would probably give you a higher success rate.  I guess the western part of the state just doesn't respect the power of the Ranger like we do.  Keep up the good work.

You have done well. 

Although it seems lots of people keep commenting about your rankings going down 35 places, I wouldn't doubt this helps mathematically to change wrestlers rankings based on who they beat.  The more names  you have, the easier the math gets.  Not that that is how you are doing it, but I would assume so. 

Keep up the good work. 

That Brakeman dude is one serious high school wrestling fan. Ohio has 14,000 participants in high school wrestling compared to 1600 here in KY, so the amount of information has to be overwhelming.