hotmamma

KY Best coaches past and present; middle and high school

i don't know if hes the best as far as his record goes but boonecountys coach andy sherlock is a good coach and freind on and off the mat

As a first year head coach it is hard to have much of a record and with a young team it is even harder for that record to be among the best.  But I will say that any kid who has wrestled for him really likes him.

Yes Coach Riegel is the leader in most career dual wins with over 800 and 50years of coaching. He coached in Hunterdon Central, NJ where the red devils where a powerhouse for many many years. He was 97-1 in his college career at Gettysburg College, 4x Mid Atlantic Champion and 2x MOW of the Mid Atlantic's, also wrestled for the Navy after his college career, 2x state runner up and 2x state champ in high school. Also was a standout in Baseball and Football. He is also in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater, OK also in the NJHSAA hall of fame.

Tony Harris.. He was a long time Hoptown Assist. now over at Christian County.  He starts the base for a good middle school foundation so they will be ready for the Varsity.  The assistants dont always get the glory, been Tony deserves some.  The only man that I've ever seen work a full time job , 2 or 3 part time jobs at the same time and still have time to help his program.  Thanx a million MACHINE!!!

I'd have to say I credit Coach Harris for most everything I've learned about wrestling. He's still down there bustin' their butts too! I think he's 50 something, but his saying is I wouldn't make you do anything that I wouldn't do myself.

No-OX coach Joe Burroughs has been a great contributor to Kentucky wrestling.  He has been teaching and motivating kids here in Hardin County for the last 10 years.  He not only teaches you how to wrestle but teaches you life lessons that carry on into adulthood.  He has helped transform many of our youth in this county into fine upstanding young men.  I would like to say thank you Joe B. 

i agree Joe B is a awesome coach. Alot of the great wrestlers from hardin county have been taught by Joe B

i have to say ryles coaching staff always turns something out of something a little less. they all have their own style to throw on the wrestlers, along with a lot of humor. i never spent one day in that room with out laughing.

Coach Hagedorn of Union County with their middle school program.  I found out yesterday at middle school state that he has only been coaching for 4 years.  He has had 2 consecutive state dual titles, 3 straight state titles and has been named coach of the year for 3 straight years.  He is a really nice and respectable guy.

i think one of the better coaches is rob fulk of north oldham high school he brings out the best in each and everyone of kids. he pusches his kids to the limmit each and everyday either ur a first year JV wrestler are ur ranked in the top 5 n state u work till ur body is drained and then u go a lil bit more :mrgreen:

I'm biased but Chuck Anderson (Seneca) took me from a Freshman that didn't know anything about the sport to a senior that finished the year undefeated and at the top of the podium at state and 1 win away from placing at Senior Nationals.  I wasn't the only guy who he has done that with.  He is great at teaching a lot of technique and motivation quickly.

I'm biased but Chuck Anderson (Seneca) took me from a Freshman that didn't know anything about the sport to a senior that finished the year undefeated and at the top of the podium at state and 1 win away from placing at Senior Nationals.  I wasn't the only guy who he has done that with.  He is great at teaching a lot of technique and motivation quickly.

Chuck is a heckuva coach. Loud as hell too.

He will be missed.

I never thought I would see the day when he would walk away.  He has been talking about it for as long as I can remember.  I just thought that one day he would eventually pass away in the coaches corner, when some hotshot would try something crazy and he his old ticker would give out.  I know I tested that old ticker.  :-D Glad he got to walk away on his own terms.  That is one man that I care a whole lot for.

I never thought I would see the day when he would walk away.  He has been talking about it for as long as I can remember.  I just thought that one day he would eventually pass away in the coaches corner, when some hotshot would try something crazy and he his old ticker would give out.  I know I tested that old ticker.  :-D Glad he got to walk away on his own terms.  That is one man that I care a whole lot for.

I was sure that was why CPR certification was mandatory in Jefferson County.

justin bozeman from mccreary co. that team has ZERO support from the community or the school and yet they manage to send multiple kids to state and he runs pratices wit great work ethic. i am a former wrestler from there and my dad passed away my senior year and he invited to me to his house and supported me and helped me not give up gave me a job when i need money and would do anything for anyone. a great stand out guy! i could not have made it through that year wit out him!

A name from the past is Bob Warnick from Boone. Along with Bill Boyle (sk). Also would like to thank all the youth coaches throughout the state. These now get something I wish I had at

Aint herd them names in along time.Boyle went to BOONE annd I forgot we coached at SK thanks heavy83

In region 6 which is really all I am familiar with

Past:

Wayne Badida- 19 state champs from 1976-1996

2- 4 time finalist

2- High School All Americans

1983 State Championship Team

1981 Runner Up

Only 4 time state champ from Northern Kentucky

I don't think you can really argue those numbers

Present:

Tim Ruschell and Rich Barker

Not too sure of there stats but every year it seems like Ryle is getting better and better. I'm so glad I don't have to wrestle Ryle anymore cause they are quickly turning into one of the elite programs in the state.

Middle School:

No brainer: Keith Ruschell- They have a great program going on over there and they are the reason the high school is becoming more and more successful. Year in and Year out they are the team to beat in Northern Kentucky.

Other Coaches: Rob Holbrook, and Steve Kaiser really have made their middle school teams tough as nail and they are a pain to dual against.

Jim Matney (Sheldon Clark 1989-2004, Johnson Central 2004-present)

2 State Tournament Championships @ Sheldon Clark (94,95)

2 State Duals Championships @ Sheldon Clark (94,95)

17 Individual State Champs @ Sheldon Clark

1 State Champ @ Johnson Central

2 MOWs (Josh Stepp and Bruce Stepp)

Pretty impressive, and I am sure he will have a few more champs in the coming years.  He has really taken Johnson Central and turned the programs around.

In region 6 which is really all I am familiar with

Past:

Wayne Badida- 19 state champs from 1976-1996

2- 4 time finalist

2- High School All Americans

1983 State Championship Team

1981 Runner Up

Only 4 time state champ from Northern Kentucky

I don't think you can really argue those numbers

Present:

Tim Ruschell and Rich Barker

Not too sure of there stats but every year it seems like Ryle is getting better and better. I'm so glad I don't have to wrestle Ryle anymore cause they are quickly turning into one of the elite programs in the state.

Middle School:

No brainer: Keith Ruschell- They have a great program going on over there and they are the reason the high school is becoming more and more successful. Year in and Year out they are the team to beat in Northern Kentucky.

Other Coaches: Rob Holbrook, and Steve Kaiser really have made their middle school teams tough as nail and they are a pain to dual against.

Coach Smith, thank you for giving Coach Badida accolades. I love the man and believe he is a living Adolph Rupp. If I may, I need to correct a few of your stats. Please forgive me.

Coach Badida had the first 5 time state finalist. Joe Carr Jr being the other. Robbie Clarkston was a runner up as an 8th grader. I still like to put a statistical spin and state that Coach Badida remains the "only" coach in Kentucky history to "ever" have a 5 time state finalist and 4 year consecutive state champ.

He also had a 3 time state champ, Pat Martz. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Pat Martz may have been a runner up as well, making him a 4 time state finalist. Troy Cole is the other 4 time finalist.

His dossier is amazing and too long to list. Most importantly, Coach Badida is a gentleman, a mentor to many wrestlers and young men, and an admirable man who would never sacrifice principle for glory.

Coach Tim Ruschell and Coach Rick Barker( 3 time champ) are no doubt a phenomenal duo. Coach Barker is very technical while Coach Ruschell tows the hard line. This combination will make Ryle the next the generational power house in Kentucky. Of course, given all of Woodford County's accomplishments,  they will not be dethroned for decades to come.