Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingtime

New female wrestling coaches and officials in the sport?

Hello,

Are there any women who coach or officiate wrestling in Kentucky/OH/IN tri-state area.

It seems there might be more women who might help out and participate in the sport. The NFSHA

says over 5000 women participate in wrestling.

Seems you would have seen the growing of more female wrestling referees and coaches.

Will there ever be a female wrestling coach?

Who knows????[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

I know there is a woman ref here in KY.  I believe she also might of helped out with coaching at a school in one of the previous years as well.  Not sure of her name though.  Someone on the board probably has better info.

I think the female old140 is thinking of is Toska Adams.  Not for sure though, but I'm pretty sure that's her name.  She officiates and she helped coach at Shawnee last year.

Toska, I believe was AD last year too. She officiated the region 4 state qualifier for JVs tonight. I think her son was/is a wrestler in Indiana and I've also seen her ref at Providence before.

From her calls and actions she also must do freestyle and greco although I've never seen her at anu USA tournaments.

Fort Campbell technically has a woman head coach. But we pretty much call her Mrs. Gusse never Coach Gusse. She was brought in because our progam needed to be overseen by a dodea accredited staff member or something like that. She handles paper work and hires our coaches. Like Patrick Simpson

Yes, Toska was the AD last year.  She does/did officiate greco/freestyle.  I've seen her a couple of times in the offseason.  I'm pretty sure she works a lot of the offseason tournaments Jeffersonville H.S. has.

Yes, Toska was the AD last year.  She does/did officiate greco/freestyle.  I've seen her a couple of times in the offseason.  I'm pretty sure she works a lot of the offseason tournaments Jeffersonville H.S. has.

ya she is awesome

shes not even that good of an official period...anyone can ref freestyle wrestling that why u c teenagers doing it at some tournaments...you can honestly ref freestyle from a chair...takes no skill

Yeah..you make a very good point. Those FS wrestling rules are tough to follow? The cheap back points

and there seems way too much standing around in freestyle matches...low scoring.

Plus, those clinch rules are a joke.

And who needs mat judges. You never see a mat judge in a High School wrestling match.

I guess most hs wrestling coaches might think they are a mat judge at times.

who knows?

Folkstyle rules are better.

Too bad the rest of the world doesn't agree with you. It is just what we are used to in the US. There's nothing more exciting than a 5pt throw. That'll get you DQed in folkstyle. What do you like better college or high school?

Those 5 point throws are extremely rare in FS wrestling i think. Most scores are 2-1, 1-0 and the best 2/3 format. Not much happens during a FS match. Plus, you have mat judges, etc...

I think most people prefer NCAA folkstyle rules. The NCAA Wrestling tournament, and all HS wrestling tournaments have used the same folkstyle rules for years. Nothing will change.

You could also be describing the NC2A finals. I think those scores are pretty much in line w/ 90% of semi and finals.

So, here's the dig - If college is more interesting, why do we reward them with riding time but, penalize HS for stalling?

To get this back on topic how many points would you award for a high amplitude throw of a female ref?

Go to fargo you will se many 5 point throws..trust me.  and as for toska she is a great ref very consistant, i dont know what you all see. And a FS ref is no different than a Folkstyle ref.  They still have to know whats goin on!

I've seen Toska working at Fargo, thats a pretty good testament to her ability to be included in that group!

Shes one of the best in my opinion, works hard to see whats going on, knows the rules and treats wrestlers and coaches fairly and with respect!