Sign in to follow this  
Nathaniel Bryan

2008-09 Newspaper Coverage: Constantly Updated Thread

http://www.ucadvocate.com/articles/stories/public/200811/26/04EK_sports.html

Braves ready for new season

Advocate Staff Report news@ucadvocate.com

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The state champion wrestling team will kick off their 2008-09 season this Saturday, November 29th, at the Braves gym. They will be hosting their first holiday dual meet with teams from Tennessee, Illinois and Kentucky. The teams take to the mat at 11:00, and the crowd will witness some tough competition.

There will be a silent auction held during the day with craft items, baked goods, and a wide assortment of goodies offered to the highest bidders. The tickets will be $5.00 for students and adults to get into the gym. BBQ and other scrumptious food will be available at the concession stand during the day.

Coach Dennis Walls stated that his team will be tough again this year! With the return of the Ervin boys- Caleb, Luke and Isaac- as well as the Thomas brothers- Keaton and Isaac- a sixth consecutive regional championship is more of a sure thing than a possibility! Aaron Carr and Tim McKenney will supply some muscle in their weight classes. Another pair of brothers, junior Hunter Ratley and freshman Austin Ratley, will command control of the mat during the year Thomas Buckman will step up this year as an experienced 160 pounder who will replace graduate, Mitch Ervin.

Other wrestlers who Coach Walls feels will dominate this year are seniors Neal Reburn, Levi Griggs, Matt Young and Matt Burke. Tim McKenney will take control in the 189 lb weight class following in the footsteps of Diante Wright. Jimmy Jones will be tough at 171 lbs hoping to fill the shoes of graduate, Jarrod Burke.

Jakup Baker, Randy Minton, and Chris Abel are all capable of capturing multiple wins this year in their weight classes. The Union County team is fortunate to have two men deep in most of the 14 weight classes this year. It

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?081+article+Sports+20081125171704081081006

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2printstory.cgi?081+article+sectionname+20081125171704081081006

Grapplers open up on Saturday in Oldham County

By Lee Kendall

The Harrison County High School wrestling team gets its season underway this Saturday competing in the North Oldham Duals in Oldham County. Harrison County will compete against the hosts, along with four teams out of Louisville

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2printstory.cgi?029+article+sectionname+20081126082525029002

Several LaRue wrestlers receive preseason rankings

Several LaRue County High School wrestlers have been ranked preseason by Kentuckywrestling.com.

Rankings by weight class as of Nov. 15 are:

103 - Nick Paden, third

112 - Justin Thompson, ninth (Thompson also is ranked eighth at 119)

125 - Christian Rojas, 12th

130 - Logan Hull, 12th

140 - Shaquille Cox, 10th

152 - Des Jakes, 12th

160 - Bernard Ray, 9th

215 - Drew Newberry, 9th

The team is ranked eighth in the state behind Trinity, Campbell County, Union County, Ryle, John Hardin, Johnson Central and Wayne County. Sheldon Clark and Seneca round out the top 10.

In team duals, always a Hawks

enthusiast,

Those weren't from my paper (other than the North Hardin results on the HS Results forum).

I just posted the ones I found.

pmilf103,

Every LaRue County schedule I've seen has NO mention of the WCI or the 5-Star. Don't know what's up.

http://www.ucadvocate.com/articles/stories/public/200812/03/4Eaa_sports.html

Braves open season with duals

Jerritt Hovey / Advocate Sports Editor

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The 2008 State Champion Braves wrestling team kicked off their 2008-09 season with some very tough out of state competition. Union County hosted Edwardsville, O

http://www.thenewsstandard.com/sports/sports.pdf

Upstart program continues to grow

By Ben Achtabowski

sports@thenewsstandard.com

The Meade County wrestling program has only existed three years, but in that short amount of time, it has become a domi-nant force in the region and has created a buzz throughout the state.

But the first two years weren

http://www.kentuckynewera.com/articles/2008/12/07/sports/paid/doc493a3cfbf2a96637313133.prt

Grapplers open new season today

Published: Saturday, December 6, 2008 4:10 AM CST

The 2008-09 high school wrestling season gets under way today with several of the southern Pennyrile area teams taking part in the Hopkinsville High School Orange and Black Tournament at Tiger Gym.

First-year Hoptown coach Willie Ennels, a former state champion for the Tigers, feels his team is among the top eight in Region 1.

So LaRue isn't going to WCI or the 5 Star Classic this year?

They are tired of getting beat at the real tournaments. Its ok though wrestling pudd teams will never get them a state title

Concerning LaRue County:

Young team, yep and not going to WCI or 5 Star.  I am not sure you could call who they are wrestling this December as pud teams, but I have been known to be wrong.  December schedule includes:  Seneca (#5 in duals in state) saw them at Oldham; this week at Ryle they face Trinity, Union Co; Campbell County, Ryle, and Grundy, VA; next week they have their regional duals in which they wrestle John Hardin (top 10 in state of KY) they wrestle two duals on Friday and five duals on Saturday then travel on Sunday to Pigeon Forge, TN where they were invited to attend their true Super Duals where they will wrestle the defending state champions from Georgia in 4A; the defending state champions from Alabama (4A); three of the top five private schools from TN.  They wrestle 5 duals on Monday and five duals on Tuesday.  So in five days they will wrestle a top 10 team from KY, three of the top five private schools from TN; the defending state champ from Georgia and Alabama.  In five days they will wrestle that competition in and rack up 17 duals.

They start two 8th graders, 6 freshmen, two juniors and four seniors.  Not sure their young guys could turn around and wrestle in WCI without a break.  Oh yea, then on January 3rd they will dual Trinity and Union. 

Yea, I guess you could call that wrestling puds and this schedule will never get their young guys ready for a run in February.  Or, maybe Canter knows what he is doing.  I think he has been pretty successful in the past.  His challenge this year is getting his young guys ready for state duals and then regions and a state tournament. 

I do know what he is thinking as I have talked to him once or twice in the past two months.  This schedule in his mind is pretty tough and will give his guys some decent competition against kids they don't have to see later in the year but still prepare them for a run. 

Call his schedule wrestling puds if you want.  Not sure I would, but like I said, I have been wrong in the past and could be now.

Concerning LaRue County:

Young team, yep and not going to WCI or 5 Star.  I am not sure you could call who they are wrestling this December as pud teams, but I have been known to be wrong.  December schedule includes:  Seneca (#5 in duals in state) saw them at Oldham; this week at Ryle they face Trinity, Union Co; Campbell County, Ryle, and Grundy, VA; next week they have their regional duals in which they wrestle John Hardin (top 10 in state of KY) they wrestle two duals on Friday and five duals on Saturday then travel on Sunday to Pigeon Forge, TN where they were invited to attend their true Super Duals where they will wrestle the defending state champions from Georgia in 4A; the defending state champions from Alabama (4A); three of the top five private schools from TN.  They wrestle 5 duals on Monday and five duals on Tuesday.  So in five days they will wrestle a top 10 team from KY, three of the top five private schools from TN; the defending state champ from Georgia and Alabama.  In five days they will wrestle that competition in and rack up 17 duals.

They start two 8th graders, 6 freshmen, two juniors and four seniors.  Not sure their young guys could turn around and wrestle in WCI without a break.  Oh yea, then on January 3rd they will dual Trinity and Union. 

Yea, I guess you could call that wrestling puds and this schedule will never get their young guys ready for a run in February.  Or, maybe Canter knows what he is doing.  I think he has been pretty successful in the past.  His challenge this year is getting his young guys ready for state duals and then regions and a state tournament. 

I do know what he is thinking as I have talked to him once or twice in the past two months.  This schedule in his mind is pretty tough and will give his guys some decent competition against kids they don't have to see later in the year but still prepare them for a run. 

Call his schedule wrestling puds if you want.  Not sure I would, but like I said, I have been wrong in the past and could be now.

Yea alright we'll see how many of those state champ schools they actually wrestle, you can schedule all the teams in the nation, but its only going to matter when you do something. Ok big coach prove me wrong, schedule your teams, wrestle the heck out of them good luck.  :roll:

http://www.ucadvocate.com/articles/stories/public/200812/10/4Euu_sports.html

Braves set the ball rolling; take win at first home meet

Advocate Staff Report news@ucadvocate.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Union County wrestlers participated in the Tates Creek Duals last Saturday in Lexington. The Braves were there without their 189 and 215 weight classesdue to their participation in the Louisville Central football game that night. Isaac Ervin, returning third place finisher at state, was also sidelined with an injury and will return next week.

The Braves finished the tournament 4-1, losing to Tates Creek by only three points. Results were Tates Creek 36, Union 33; Union 61, Montgomery County 18; Union 39, Henry Clay 38; Union 41, Paul Dunbar 33 and Union 48, Lafayette 30.

Winning all of their matches from Union were Aaron Carr (130), Caleb Ervin (135) and Luke Ervin (152). Winning four matches were Matt Young (125), Isaac Thomas (140) and Keaton Thomas (119). Winning three were Chad Gahafer (103) and Matt Burke (145). Picking up two wins were Daniel Mayes (285), Neal Reburn (112), Randy Minton (171) and Kenneth Brummett (160). Jakup Baker and Randy Minton (160) each picked up a win. Winning three matches for JV were L. J. McKinney, Chris Abell and Spencer Hulett.

http://www.kentuckynewera.com/articles/2008/12/10/sports/free/doc49400693d5456495885287.txt

CCMS wrestling team finishes 2-0

The Christian County Middle School wrestling team went 2-0 Tuesday, beating University Heights Academy and Rossview, Tenn.

The Colonels beat the Blazers 84-40 and then edged Rossview 54-39.

Brandon Willey and Cameron Montgomery both finished 3-0 on the night. Trey Johnson, Andre Matlock, Eric Harris and Devon Torain went 2-0. John Crossett, Terry Moore and Asa Odoms finished 2-1.

http://www.kentuckynewera.com/articles/2008/12/05/sports/paid/doc493973882d9bb311468959.prt

Willen, Huggins perfect in wrestling dual meet

From staff reports

Published: Friday, December 5, 2008 12:35 PM CST

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn.

http://www.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2printstory.cgi?029+article+sectionname+20081203131947029002

8th-ranked Mat Hawks face tough early schedule

By Eddie Paden

The eighth-ranked LaRue County Mat Hawks open the wrestling season Saturday at Oldham County. The young grapplers and their coach are looking to a return to being one of the top teams in the state.

http://www.pioneernews.net/cgi-bin/c2.cgi?093+article+Sports+20081204115407093093007

By MIKE FARNER

Bullitt Central will host a major early season wrestling match on Saturday with the annual Bullitt Central Invitational.

The Cougars will play host to eight teams including some of their toughest competition in the region. The eight schools taking part are Central, Ohio County, Shawnee, Bourbon County, Pleasure Ridge Park, Doss, DeSales and Nelson County.

Bullitt Central, which already has wrestled against Oldham County and Fairdale this season, will have two squads entered.

This will be a straight bracket tournament with a consolation bracket like the regional and the state tournaments with 14 weight class winners as well as an overall team champion.

The cost will be $5 per person which will be good for the whole day Matches will start at 10 a.m.

Concerning LaRue County:

wow...all im going to say is...nice call kentucky10...