Sign in to follow this  
out side sweep

most dominant

lol alright alright, someone get that heavyweight the mow award, he deserves it.

im pretty sure he got the MOW award didn't he?

He didn't actually weigh 275, but more around 230 his senior year. But he never received a mow because he graduated in 1997. The MOW that year was Joe Jr. His 8th grade year I believe he lost to eventual state champ and MOW Blevins from Fern Creek. His freshman year he was on the other side of the bracket of eventual champ Jody Burke from Christian I think. So yes he had some pretty good competition in his day.

He didn't actually weigh 275, but more around 230 his senior year. But he never received a mow because he graduated in 1997. The MOW that year was Joe Jr. His 8th grade year I believe he lost to eventual state champ and MOW Blevins from Fern Creek. His freshman year he was on the other side of the bracket of eventual champ Jody Burke from Christian I think. So yes he had some pretty good competition in his day.

didn't Joe Jr. graduate in '98?

well since everyone taliking about Livingstone Merritt I went and got my "old" state tourny bracketts.

1992-7th Grade-140--5th place-Western Ky Regional Champ-lost in semi to 2nd place Archie Stepp(sc), lost to Adam Feldman(st.x),beat Rusty Calvent(h.clay) for 5th

1993-8th-4 place-152-Wky Regional Champ-lost in semi to 2nd place Jamie Brewer(S.Kenton),lost to George Birk(H.Clay) for 4th

1994-9th-3rd place-189-2place wky regional-lost 1 round upset to David Ketcham(Scott)-won 5 straight to place 3rd.

His freshman year he was on the other side of the bracket of eventul champ Jody Burke from Christian

Burke was from Danville ( runner-up in 94 final against Matt Hecker(Woodford) WOW good match) Burke beat McKinley Stepp in finals in 94

1995-10th-1st place-215-

1996-11th -1st place-215-

1997-12th-1st place-hwt-

He was in my weight class my senior year never got to wrestle him thou...

well since everyone taliking about Livingstone Merritt I went and got my "old" state tourny bracketts.

1992-7th Grade-140--5th place-Western Ky Regional Champ-lost in semi to 2nd place Archie Stepp(sc), lost to Adam Feldman(st.x),beat Rusty Calvent(h.clay) for 5th

1993-8th-4 place-152-Wky Regional Champ-lost in semi to 2nd place Jamie Brewer(S.Kenton),lost to George Birk(H.Clay) for 4th

1994-9th-3rd place-189-2place wky regional-lost 1 round upset to David Ketcham(Scott)-won 5 straight to place 3rd. Burke was from Danville ( runner-up in 94 final against Matt Hecker(Woodford) WOW good match) Burke beat McKinley Stepp in finals in 94

1995-10th-1st place-215-

1996-11th -1st place-215-

1997-12th-1st place-hwt-

He was in my weight class my senior year never got to wrestle him thou...

that sucks he lost first round his freshman year.

what is that thing in your picture?

That is his gas tank on his harley. I thought that Burke was from Danville. I remembered him after you said that. Also didn't George Birk from Henry Clay end up winning a title the next year.

That is his gas tank on his harley. I thought that Burke was from Danville. I remembered him after you said that. Also didn't George Birk from Henry Clay end up winning a title the next year.

ohhh... ok i see it now.

Here's how I would match them up:

Merritt                  Courtney

Grade 7      5th

Grade 8      4th        Grade 7    8th

Grade 9      3rd       Grade 8     3rd

Grade 10     1st       Grade 9     1st

Grade 11     1st       Grade 10   1st

Grade 12     1st       Grade 11   1st

Grade 12    ?

So they are "equal" with the 3rd and 3 1st place finishes.  So how do the other 2 years compare.  Merritt with a 5th and 4th or Courtney with an 8th and ? (likely 1st).  Personally, I take the championship over all else.

But we could also take into consideration that if the tourney had not been extended into 32 invites and 8 placers that harrison would not have that 8th place finish. He would of been one short.

we could match it all up a thousand different ways, and compare this statistic to this statistic. it all boils down to who we believe is the best, and everyone knows its Courtney. Hands down.

But we could also take into consideration that if the tourney had not been extended into 32 invites and 8 placers that harrison would not have that 8th place finish. He would of been one short.

Good point.  But I still take that 4th championship over 2 other placements.  No question.

Good point.  But I still take that 4th championship over 2 other placements.  No question.

absolutely. im sure harrison would too. as im sure he will.

I understand how good Courtney is but everyone is also running from him.Of the early years who was in the brackets with him that were dominant or stood out later as he grew. Was there anyone who went on to win titles or challenge others? Your right we could compare all the stats. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Joe Jr. was allowed to wrestle his 7th grade year. we could also match his 4 titles and a second up with Courtney's 4 titles and 3rd and 8th.

I understand how good Courtney is but everyone is also running from him.Of the early years who was in the brackets with him that were dominant or stood out later as he grew. Was there anyone who went on to win titles or challenge others? Your right we could compare all the stats. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Joe Jr. was allowed to wrestle his 7th grade year. we could also match his 4 titles and a second up with Courtney's 4 titles and 3rd and 8th.

i dont know if i would point out that joe jr. has a second in his stat book, because to me that is a bad thing. to be able to reach the finals, and not win after having already won, shows a lack of concentration, or something. not taking anything away from joe jr, but i just wouldn't point out this particular stat.

i dont know if i would point out that joe jr. has a second in his stat book, because to me that is a bad thing. to be able to reach the finals, and not win after having already won, shows a lack of concentration, or something. not taking anything away from joe jr, but i just wouldn't point out this particular stat.

why not 119Rider is the one who BEAT HIM

to be able to reach the finals, and not win after having already won, shows a lack of concentration, or something. not taking anything away from joe jr, but i just wouldn't point out this particular stat.

moving from 103 to 119 he ran into some better compition plus not wrestling little boys .....

I was pointing out his second because we were comparing place finishes. His second was higher than courtney's third as a 8th. 4 state titles is 4 state titles. He was not allowed to wrestle as a 7th grader. Do you think he would be of been able to win or place in the top six as a seventh grader? I'm pretty sure he could of, therefore he would be considered the best. Merritt was able to and made the most of his opportunity just as courtney did. If he goes on to compete in college and is successful then I would give him the nod over Merritt but probably not Joe Jr who has a well documented career as we all know. Not taking anything away from Courtney just waiting before I cast my ballot. Would like to see an all time top ten list by you guys to see what everyone else thinks.

Joe Joe was allowed to compete as a 7th grader.  He was varsity at the beginning of the year but then was beat out by a kid named Cody Stewart.

I was pointing out his second because we were comparing place finishes. His second was higher than courtney's third as a 8th. 4 state titles is 4 state titles. He was not allowed to wrestle as a 7th grader. Do you think he would be of been able to win or place in the top six as a seventh grader? I'm pretty sure he could of, therefore he would be considered the best. Merritt was able to and made the most of his opportunity just as courtney did. If he goes on to compete in college and is successful then I would give him the nod over Merritt but probably not Joe Jr who has a well documented career as we all know. Not taking anything away from Courtney just waiting before I cast my ballot. Would like to see an all time top ten list by you guys to see what everyone else thinks.

wow... it must be so cool to be able to tell kids, i was the only one that ever beat Joe Carr Jr. in the state finals. did the two of you ever meet again after that? or was it your senior year?

Thanks for that info Pizar. I was always under the impression that Joe was held out that year.

385-We never met again. I was a senior when he was a freshman, I went on to coach against him a couple of times and then off to college to wrestle. Needless to say he out grew me. :lol: