Sign in to follow this  
mouse

How many?

I have noticed there area a lot of areas in Kentucky that still do not have wrestling. Does anyone know how many programs there are in the state and how many there are that do not have programs?

I have noticed there area a lot of areas in Kentucky that still do not have wrestling. Does anyone know how many programs there are in the state and how many there are that do not have programs?

78 High School wrestling Programs and 274 appx. High Schools in Kentucky

I'd say get people in your community excited about it and then talk to the AD at the local high school.  Other than that I don't know.

The biggest problem is getting coaches.

You younger guys if wrestling has given you something then give something back to wrestling.  The biggest thing you can give back is time.

I don't really know if you could say that is the biggest problem. I know it isn't exactly easy to get coaches, especially for youth programs. But I believe if more then 1/3rd of the high schools in the state had wrestling you would see a pretty big trickle down effect as far as youth programs and potential coaches.

I'm not originally from here. I've been here a few years but really haven't gotten down all the schools, regions, etc... I just notice that very few schools seem to have wrestling and I just don't understand why. I've never seen or heard of so many schools in a state that do not have it.

I don't think we will ever see a shortage of basketball coaches in Kentucky.  Sadly, we are just not a state known for wrestling, unless you count being known for being near the bottom.  Kids would rather go out for cut sports like baseball and soccer, and those that don't have already made up their mind to play football or lacrosse or track and field.  This leaves wrestling in a year round drought of kids who could-be-talented.  Basically the only kids who come into high school wanting to wrestle are the ones who have done it before, which is very few, comparably.  So now a Kentucky high school wrestling squad is made up of  1. Kids who have grown up in a wrestling environment and have a good knowledge of it pre-freshman year; 2. Kids who started it in late middle school and have a fair idea of what they are doing; and 3. Kids who start their freshman or sophomore year and make varsity their junior or senior years.  1 and 2 are rare because of the lack of feeder programs in most places.  Half of 3 is football using wrestling, a tougher sport where you are almost guaranteed to wrestle at some point of the year, to get better at football, (begin sarcasm) which of course works because wrestling is all about tackling the other guy and slamming him to the ground and then celebrating by doing a little victory dance (end sarcasm).  And on top of all this a team needs a coach, usually more, to devote and extra 3 hours a day during the school week and and another 12 hours on weekends when there is a meet, and another additional 3-4 1/2 hours for duals on Wednesdays or Thursdays.  Plus you will probably want a coach who has wrestled before.  Oh yeah, and we lose half of the kids who try it out because it is "too hard".  Any one who cannot commit, or thinks it is too hard shouldn't wrestle anyway.  Wrestling is the survival of the fittest and non-wimpiest. 

Same can be said for Sacred Heart and Presentation who are also on the list.  They are also all girl schools in Louisville.  Maybe that is what we need to do.  If we can get each of them to field a wrestling team, maybe the interest for wrestling in the state would go up.

Same can be said for Sacred Heart and Presentation who are also on the list.  They are also all girl schools in Louisville.  Maybe that is what we need to do.  If we can get each of them to field a wrestling team, maybe the interest for wrestling in the state would go up.

Haha good one!  :mrgreen: