Sign in to follow this  
high crotch

Best in the State

UBTappin I started my comment because my oldest son wrestled middle school state last year at 124lbs ,he was 3rd ,and I saw two guys he wrestled last year as 8th graders wrestling this weekend and one of them won his weight class.We all have different perspectives let me share ours.My son John was 13 when he got 3rd and he hasn't had a grade point average under 92% in any class in 3 yrs ,he is a studious athlete.He has attended the same private school since 1rst grade and his brothers and sisters go there as well.The school doesn't have sports and that wasn't a problem in club level wrestling but now we had a highschooler and didn't want to change schools for sports.We checked for ways to have our school and wrestling too but in the end we lost. So my 14 year old freshman didn't compete this year because of the rules and our choice to not be impulsive and leave a school which has been excellent so far.We bought a large mat and invite any possible workout partner to train,we have a gym quality weight room,  went to 6 camps, and every possible open mat available.John has wrestled open mat with Dan Smith,Elliot Martin,Caleb Ervin and many other well known Kentucky wrestlers,and handled himself well with them.My point is he is a good wrestler who watched guys older than him wrestle state this weekend but he couldn't.Any parent who is on this site should know how difficult that was for John and me . On a better note Justin my 6th grader got 2nd this weekend 82lb and we were very pleased with his effort.We are seeking remedies for John and hope to see Kentucky's best on the mat this summer and get John on a team next year.

UBTappin I started my comment because my oldest son wrestled middle school state last year at 124lbs ,he was 3rd ,and I saw two guys he wrestled last year as 8th graders wrestling this weekend and one of them won his weight class.We all have different perspectives let me share ours.My son John was 13 when he got 3rd and he hasn't had a grade point average under 92% in any class in 3 yrs ,he is a studious athlete.He has attended the same private school since 1rst grade and his brothers and sisters go there as well.The school doesn't have sports and that wasn't a problem in club level wrestling but now we had a highschooler and didn't want to change schools for sports.We checked for ways to have our school and wrestling too but in the end we lost. So my 14 year old freshman didn't compete this year because of the rules and our choice to not be impulsive and leave a school which has been excellent so far.We bought a large mat and invite any possible workout partner to train,we have a gym quality weight room,  went to 6 camps, and every possible open mat available.John has wrestled open mat with Dan Smith,Elliot Martin,Caleb Ervin and many other well known Kentucky wrestlers,and handled himself well with them.My point is he is a good wrestler who watched guys older than him wrestle state this weekend but he couldn't.Any parent who is on this site should know how difficult that was for John and me . On a better note Justin my 6th grader got 2nd this weekend 82lb and we were very pleased with his effort.We are seeking remedies for John and hope to see Kentucky's best on the mat this summer and get John on a team next year.

I'm familiar with your son, he's a great wrestler, I hope you can find a way to get him back on the mat.

How many state champs this year were really highschool varsity wrestlers who just drop to wrestle regions and win state????

I noticed a few but I just wondered if anyone had a count on something like that.  Granted they have the right but it dosen't seem right. 

i do not see how you think it is unfair to wrestle varsity and wrestle middle school state! if your varsity squad is short wrestlers and a good middle schooler can fill the spot, why not let him or her.

How many state champs this year were really highschool varsity wrestlers who just drop to wrestle regions and win state????

I noticed a few but I just wondered if anyone had a count on something like that.  Granted they have the right but it doesn't seem right. 

Can you please explain why you think this is unfair?

I had a wrestler on my team do just that.  He did not qualify for state but he has wrestled varsity for us all year at 103lbs.  He weighs only about 95 but if he does not wrestle varsity matches then he will not wrestle at all.

It actually gave him a disadvantage.  We could not seed him at the regional tourney because he had not wrestled one middle school match. 

Two years ago we did the same thing with another wrestler.  He also was not seeded but he placed 4th and qualified for the state tourney. 

What I think is truly unfair are the club teams.  This year there were two club teams in our region. The only reason they were there was so that a few school teams could get their number 3 and 4 wrestlers into the regional tournaments. 

Any KYSWA information related to Age, Repeating grades, Clubs, etc is clearly listed in the Middle School By-Laws.  We meet twice annually in May and September.  Any proposed changes to the by-laws should be presented at the May meeting.  The coaches have agreed to participate in the Middle School organization guided by these By-laws.  The best method to voice your concerns about any issue related to middle school wrestling, is to contact your Regional Rep, and officer, or attend the meetings yourself if you are a Coach.

This was another outstanding State Tournament, and we should be proud of all the athletes that competed all year.

I think it all depends on how sucessful you are at the high school level.  I don't claim to be an expert on this but common sense sense tells me that if you are a very succesful wrestler in high school(state qualifier) then what is the point of taking state in middle school?  If the kid is in a situation where he is a fill in for his high school but is not the most sucessful then it is understandable.  I just personally know a couple oif kids who are eighth graders who would win state if they chose to compete but they don't because they would rather be challenged at the highschool level.  I guess it just depends.  Not every case can be viewed the same and I understand that.  I was never saying that is was unfair,  just that it didn't seem right.  I was thinking of High school varsity state qualifiers(who are in eighth) when I wrote it.  Didn't mean to offend anyone.  I didn't originally think about it from the other perspective.  Sorry about that.

The best method to voice your concerns about any issue related to middle school wrestling, is to contact your Regional Rep, and officer, or attend the meetings yourself if you are a Coach.

This was another outstanding State Tournament, and we should be proud of all the athletes that competed all year.

Much like the rest of the political world the best way to get your concerns looked at is to allow the public know about them, and get their support for your cause.  This is why I mention this on this forum.

I have not attended a meeting because I don't have the time since I both coach the high school team, any middle school kids I have, and have a son wrestle for another middle school team.  In many years we don't attend the middle school region because I either don't have a middle school kid or I don't have anyone who can take them to the event.  Therefore I don't believe that I have much of a voice in the association. 

That does not mean that my concerns are not important.  I believe they are and I think they should be addressed.  Middle school wrestling has made great strides and we don't need to stop pushing forward, with new ideas and fixing problems when they arise.

I think it all depends on how sucessful you are at the high school level.  I don't claim to be an expert on this but common sense sense tells me that if you are a very succesful wrestler in high school(state qualifier) then what is the point of taking state in middle school?  If the kid is in a situation where he is a fill in for his high school but is not the most sucessful then it is understandable.  I just personally know a couple oif kids who are eighth graders who would win state if they chose to compete but they don't because they would rather be challenged at the highschool level.  I guess it just depends.  Not every case can be viewed the same and I understand that.  I was never saying that is was unfair,  just that it didn't seem right.  I was thinking of High school varsity state qualifiers(who are in eighth) when I wrote it.  Didn't mean to offend anyone.  I didn't originally think about it from the other perspective.  Sorry about that.

Please consider this from mine and my sons perspective. My son finished  4th in last years state tournament as a first year wrestler.  This only made him determined  to win middle school state.  So he went out and worked his tail off to get better.  The by-product of this  is he got good enough to wrestle varisty this year and he has had some level of succes at this level.  What I am I suppose to tell him sorry son you have got to good from hard work and you cannot wrestle at middle school now.  Tell me where this not right.

by far best ive seen is sean faluse hes a beat of a kid not even in middle school and was behind garth yenter last year he already won state and got like 3ed last year i cant wait to see this kid in high school  will be a monster i would hate to be in his weight