dagger

Possible Region Alignment For 2008-09

Trigg county doesn't have a team. From what I have heard, the chances of a new team at Trigg are not good. 

Jason Walls was trying to get a team going, startin with a middle school team and then get a high school team later on, but the school shut it down i guess, thats why hes the co-coach of caldwell this year.

With the Louisville area schools it is easy to realign them based on strength and not geography.  There are about 15-18 schools all withing 40 minutes drive so non of them are far away...you would not want a region with 8 top 25 teams in it every year while the other region  has one or two.  There are some teams that you can always count on being on the lower side just based on the number of kids in them....not to say the individual kids aren't good but team wise wouldn't be strong.  I think now with the current coaches at St. X, Moore and Central they will continually be in the top 5-6 in Jefferson County each year so it would be good to add them in with Trinity, Eastern and Seneca to keep them away from the same region.  Not to doubt you GOO but I don't think Ballard has ever been considered a strong team.  They were in our region when I was at J-town and we weren't a strong team by any means with 10 guys (in a good year) and we would be evenly matched.  They also haven't had a team for more than 10 years so it would have to have been less than that.  I graduated in early '90s and they didn't have a team then.  It wouldn't necessarily take two days to do the tournaments, it just depends on the number of kids each team has but again for the louisville are schools it would be easy to do two rounds on a friday and come back the next day at 10 and finish them up in just a few hours time.

Re alignment is done to try and balance the regions out geographically not competitively.

It is almost impossible for you to align regions according to strength.  Teams that are strong teams some years are no longer strong teams in a few years.  Those teams that were weak teams become strong teams.

Just 4 years ago, St. X and Moore, and Central, would be considers weaker teams. Now they are at near the top.  Less than 10 years ago Ballard was considered a strong team.

When thinking of alignment you think geographically, try to cut down travel time.  You consider the regional tournament and what bracket must be used?  With this alignment every region has 9 teams.  This means that a regional tournament must be held on 2 days (at least one round on day 1) so to miss the 5 match rule.

With the Louisville area schools it is easy to realign them based on strength and not geography.  There are about 15-18 schools all withing 40 minutes drive so non of them are far away...you would not want a region with 8 top 25 teams in it every year while the other region  has one or two.  There are some teams that you can always count on being on the lower side just based on the number of kids in them....not to say the individual kids aren't good but team wise wouldn't be strong.  I think now with the current coaches at St. X, Moore and Central they will continually be in the top 5-6 in Jefferson County each year so it would be good to add them in with Trinity, Eastern and Seneca to keep them away from the same region.  Not to doubt you GOO but I don't think Ballard has ever been considered a strong team.  They were in our region when I was at J-town and we weren't a strong team by any means with 10 guys (in a good year) and we would be evenly matched.  They also haven't had a team for more than 10 years so it would have to have been less than that.  I graduated in early '90s and they didn't have a team then.  It wouldn't necessarily take two days to do the tournaments, it just depends on the number of kids each team has but again for the louisville are schools it would be easy to do two rounds on a friday and come back the next day at 10 and finish them up in just a few hours time.

I wasn't sure of the years for Ballard but it was 02 and 03 when they tood about 10 to the state each year.

In '02 Ballard sent 10 wrestlers to state and won 6 matches total.  In '03, they sent 10 wrestlers to state and won 15 matches total.  Of those 15, Jordan Lewis won 5 and the 112 state title.

I hope your wrong Danger.  Region 3 would be dominated by Central and PRP.  Region 5 would cause a lot of good kids to miss the big show.

Region 3                                                                          Region 4

Central    -  Solid, with Coach Founder at the helm                  Ballard        -  Gone but not forgotten

desales    -  Hasn't shown much lately                                  Eastern      -  Re-building some good young guys

Doss        -  Rumor has it, they may drop program                  Fern Creek  -  Down but never out, Middle S back to kickin butt

Fairdale    -  Trying, but not making much head way                Jeffersontown  -  Re-building, signs of hope

Holy Cross  - 1 kid,  smallest freshman class in school history    KCD              -  Hanging by a thread

Iroquios    -  Building slowly                                                Manual          -  Up and coming, future looks bright

KSB          -  2 kids?                                                          Moore            -  Solid, and moving up

PRP          -  Solid, always tough                                          Seneca          -  Always good, no signs of letting up

Shawnee  -  trying, outlook grim                                          Southern        -  Building, and on the move up

Valley      -  Fall fast, very fast                                            St Xavier        -  Starting to look like the old St. X

Western    -  Needs a miracle                                                Trinity            -  Rockin, up and ready, title in site

This would be ridiculous,  Region 3 would only have two teams with full line-ups.  Region 5 with Trinity and Seneca being future title contenders, St. X head that way, Fern Creek can always bring it, Moore and Southern better each year would make for and unbalanced Jefferson county.

Region one has 12 teams in it right now. There is no problem with the five match rule. If you think there will be a problem then you need to make sure you do a better job of seeding. From what i have heard so far most regions have teams that don't field full teams and would end up with 8 kids in each bracket. Like i said region 1 has 12 teams and doesn't have the 5 match problem!!!!!!!

While seeding can help it can't eliminate the problem of 5 match rule.  If you get a kid who just pulls an upset on the second round it then forces the higher seed to wrestle all the way to the 3/4th place finish but not be able to do the last match because of the match rule.  It is going to happen as it did this past weekend at the jv state.  We had one kid who had to forfeit 3/4 because he already had 5 matches.  You just don't want that to be the determining factor for a regional final wether the kid gets third or fourth and then have to wrestle a 1 seed in state rather than a 2 seed.  But for jefferson county region we don't have the travel time or distance as some other regions so it would be no big deal to split it into one night and the next day.

Region one has 12 teams in it right now. There is no problem with the five match rule. If you think there will be a problem then you need to make sure you do a better job of seeding. From what i have heard so far most regions have teams that don't field full teams and would end up with 8 kids in each bracket. Like i said region 1 has 12 teams and doesn't have the 5 match problem!!!!!!!