Sign in to follow this  
VisionQuest

Region 4 results

Teams

1 Johnson County

2 Woodford County

3 Bourbon County

Johnson County won by about 50 points.

Congratulations to the Eagle wrestling team.

Individuals placers for Johnson County (top 4)

@ 70  Both finalists

1 Geordon Blanton

2 Brad Auxier

@ 75

4 Zack Blair

@ 89

4 Josh Conley

@ 96

4 Eric Fannin

@ 103

1 Jayce Carr

4 Cody Ankrom

@ 110

4 Tommy VanHoose

@ 124

4 Ross Sanor

@ 131 Both finalists

1 JJ Jude

2 Josh Caudill

@150 Both finalists

1 Bobby Webb

2 John Conley

@ 165

2 Sam Preston

@ 185

2 Shane Auxier

Individual weight Classes (from memory - my apologies if I get any wrong)

70 Blanton JC

75 Gross Letcher

82 Asbury Bourbon or Clark Spartan ?

89 Lewis Spartan or Dillow Anderson ?

96 Whitaker Bourbon

103 Carr JC

110 Stout Bourbon

117 Staten McCreary or Vincent Anderson

124 McCall Woodford

131 Jude JC

140 Sammons McCreary

150 Webb JC

165 Campbell Woodford

185 Jones Spartan

230 Hollon Perry

Good Luck to all State Qualifiers in Elizabethtown in 2 weeks..

At 89 the Finalist was Austin Dillow from Anderson dominating Lewis 11-2 and Jacob Vincent took first over Staten by pin. Other Anderson placers were;

103 Zack Perry 3rd

110 Blake Curtsinger 3rd over Tommy Vanhoose  by pin

117 Kody Wade 4th

124 TW Stockton 3rd

I think there were a lot of upsets last night. Some people that didn't make it to state last night should be going. Ryan Mckinnon from Elkhorn, Eric Cunningham from Anderson, and Wyatt Courtney from Woodford, and Mason Baker, from Anderson, just to name a few.

I think there were a lot of upsets last night. Some people that didn't make it to state last night should be going. Ryan Mckinnon from Elkhorn, Eric Cunningham from Anderson, and Wyatt Courtney from Woodford, and Mason Baker, from Anderson, just to name a few.

why??????????????

Well, Eric Cunningham went in to the night with only a couple losses on his record. He had one match with some questionable ref calls, and was beaten by a couple guys, who also deserving, he had beaten before. He's a good wrestler who had an off night. And not to mention any names, but there were a couple wrestlers who I feel are not as good as some that didn't place higher. It's just how it turns out sometimes, and with so much on the line, it can be disappointing to see some not achieve it.

A few reasons for this happening.

The region is too large.  When you have kids that have to wrestle in pigtails and can't even wrestle back for an opportunity to get to state, you have a serious problem.  I know this happened again in region 4 with the limit of 2 wrestlers per team.  Letcher County had a wrestler who was 4-1 on the day and had his 5 matches in before he got to the semis of the consolation bracket. How fair is this to him?

With the region being so large, all schools don't wrestle each other during the season, Region 4 stretches from Ashland (Across the river from Ohio and West Virginia) south to the Tennesse/Virginia border(Letcher).  Then across the southern part of Ky to McCreary Co and then Northwest to Anderson.  From Anderson take 64 to Ashland and pick up Bourbon and Montgomery on the way.  Region 4 is huge. 

Another reason for some not making it is some wrestlers and teams are not as good as they are led to believe in rankings.  Ranking teams and individuals is fine if you know all the participants.  Johnson County was unranked but but won the region over ranked teams, Woodford, Bourbon, and Anderson.  They only had 3 kids in the individual rankings but placed 9 in the finals of a very tough region.

The bottom line is you are right many kids that deserve to go don't, all because of the size and strength of this region.  If they were in another region, there chances might have been better. 

you are right on. Anderson had a wrestler who lost his first match in pigtails, worked his butt off winning the next three, and then had to settle for 6th with no chance of even getting to be an alternate. (Shea Sparrow 96#) Woodford, Anderson, and Bourbon wrestled each other about every other week, and hadn't seen Johnson until yesterday. They have a terrific team, and it would have been good for all teams if they had seen each other at least once before regions. I also think that McCreary did a good job running the tournament considering the pigtails and 15 teams.

you are right on. Anderson had a wrestler who lost his first match in pigtails, worked his butt off winning the next three, and then had to settle for 6th with no chance of even getting to be an alternate. (Shea Sparrow 96#) Woodford, Anderson, and Bourbon wrestled each other about every other week, and hadn't seen Johnson until yesterday. They have a terrific team, and it would have been good for all teams if they had seen each other at least once before regions. I also think that McCreary did a good job running the tournament considering the pigtails and 15 teams.

Woodford wrestled in the tournament at Ashland with Johnson Co in late December.  Woodford placed 1st and Johnson wasn't in the top 4.  They had many more and different wrestlers yesterday than they did at the Ashland tournament.

Its a shame that Madison County School Officials are so ignorant about wrestling.  I am a Madison County Wrestling Club mom and would love any suggestions with regards to implementing an official wrestling program in our schools.  This is the first year my son (Storm Savage 110# 5th place at regionals last night 6th grader) has wrestled and I have to say what a GREAT sport!  I have enjoyed watching all of these kids and can honestly say I am super impressed with all wrestling has to offer: team competition, individual competition, character improvement, athleticism, etc... Its frustrating because Madison County Board of Education Officials are so against wrestling in our schools, I just dont understand

sprawl there are 3 reasons for the lack of interest.

1. Title IX

2.  Money

3.  basketball

probably in that order.

2.  Money

3.  basketball

I agreee with 2 & 3,

Disagree, Title IX Gender doesn't matter with wrestling, girls can wrestle on any wrestling team.

Its a shame that Madison County School Officials are so ignorant about wrestling.  I am a Madison County Wrestling Club mom and would love any suggestions with regards to implementing an official wrestling program in our schools.  This is the first year my son (Storm Savage 110# 5th place at regionals last night 6th grader) has wrestled and I have to say what a GREAT sport!  I have enjoyed watching all of these kids and can honestly say I am super impressed with all wrestling has to offer: team competition, individual competition, character improvement, athleticism, etc... Its frustrating because Madison County Board of Education Officials are so against wrestling in our schools, I just dont understand

Do what always gets a politicans attention- let them know votes are at stake.  If school board members feel they will loosed enough votes over this issue they will come around to your side.

In regards to the comments from Sprawl, I am good friends with coach wolfe, and know all he has personally out in to get the middle school program going.  He, like most other coaches, has a great deal of time and effort put into the program, but also has a great deal of his personal money invested in the program.  If I were a parent, I would not only talk to board members, but I would put a bug int he ear of the Athletic director as well.  TO be such a young program, Madison County is doing great!!

Thanks to all who left comments for me.  I certainly appreciate any and all suggestions.  We have been in contact with the school board and athletic directors as well. Needless to say, we will continue to argue for wrestling in Madison Co.  I am so proud of all these kids and am shocked at how much I love this sport.  Coach Wolfe is a wonderful man and amazes me with his selfless dedication to the kids.  To spend all these hours working with kids after school and not expecting any monetary compensation is crazy to me.  I ask myself, would I do that and the answer is no, character flaw?  I dont know.  As far as the Title IX stuff, way yo go Hannah Stout and Nicki (a female on our team),  These ladies are trailblazers for wrestling around here.  Infact, my daughter started wrestling tonight in the elementary club.  Again, just wanted to thank you all for the support and suggestions

Region 4 Results

1.  Johnson  255.50

2.  Woodford  206.50

3.  Bourbon  174.00

4.  Anderson  171.00

5.  Madison  125.00

6.  McCreary  121.50

7.  Spartans  105.50

8.  Elkhorn  96.00

9.  Ashland  79.00

10.  Letcher  77.00

11.  Perry  41.00

12.  Tates Creek  24.00

13.  Whitley  20.00

14.  Morton  18.00

15.  Montgomery  14.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weight: 70 

1st: Geordan Blanton, Johnson 12- 0

2nd: Brad Auxier, Johnson 8- 2

3rd: Zack Clark, Spartans 12- 8

4th: Matt Butler, Madison 16- 8

5th: Mason Baker, Anderson 22- 6

6th: Alex Collins, Bourbon 15- 18

Weight: 75 

1st: Justin Gross, Letcher 15- 3

2nd: Cameron Whitaker, Bourbon 19- 5

3rd: Seth Scaggs, Ashland 15- 14

4th: Zack Blair, Johnson 6- 3

5th: Ben Anderson, Woodford 2- 2

6th: Tristan Joyce, Bourbon 8- 8

Weight:82

1st: Jason Asbury, Bourbon 16- 6

2nd: Alex Sipple, Madison 15- 6

3rd: Nathaniel Clark, Spartans 16- 4

4th: Joel Murtaugh, Letcher 15- 4

5th: Nathan Darland, Woodford 4- 2

6th: Tighe Harrod, Elkhorn 15- 14

Weight: 89 

1st: Austin Dillow, Anderson 27- 5

2nd: Vince Lewis, Spartans 18- 2

3rd: Joel Soriano, Bourbon 22- 8

4th: Josh Conley, Johnson 14- 8

5th: Roderick Agyeman, Elkhorn 15- 13

6th: Brandon Gibson, Letcher 5- 2

Weight: 96 

1st: Scott Whitaker, Bourbon 29- 2

2nd: Tevon Clay, Elkhorn 30- 7

3rd: Jordan Doyle, Woodford 5- 1

4th: Kyle Fannin, Johnson 15- 7

5th: Chris McDaniel, Anderson 21- 9

6th: Shea Sparrow, Anderson 19- 17

Weight: 103 

1st: Jayce Carr, Johnson 23- 5

2nd: Isaac Adams, Woodford 24- 9

3rd: Zack Perry, Anderson 22- 7

4th: Cody Ankrom, Johnson 4- 2

5th: Wesley Fletcher, Elkhorn 3- 2

6th: Austin McAlister, Madison 3- 3

Weight: 110 

1st: John Stout, Bourbon 33- 0

2nd: Shane White, Woodford 29- 5

3rd: Blake Curtsinger, Anderson 22- 12

4th: Tommy Vanhoose, Johnson 19- 5

5th: Storm Savage, Madison 4- 2

6th: Coty Eads, Tates Creek 11- 6

Weight: 117 

1st: Jacob Vincent, Anderson 28- 1

2nd: Josh Staten, McCreary 16- 1

3rd: Alec Holman, Woodford 16- 9

4th: Kody Wade, Anderson 8- 3

5th: Wyatt Courneyt, Woodford 15- 9

6th: Hasaamnj Hart, Elkhorn 3- 3

Weight: 124 

1st: Cory McCall, Woodford 32- 1

2nd: Hannah Stout, Bourbon 22- 13

3rd: T.W. Stockton, Anderson 23- 8

4th: Ross Sanor, Johnson 20- 10

5th: Mike Rusher, Woodford 25- 12

6th: Cole Craven, Tates Creek 11- 5

Weight: 131 

1st: J.J. Jude, Johnson 28- 3

2nd: Josh Caudill, Johnson 20- 11

3rd: Morgan Wolf, Madison 18- 5

4th: Chris Blair, Ashland 17- 10

5th: Sam Rusher, Woodford 25- 12

6th: Eric Cunningham, Anderson 33- 5

Weight: 140 

1st: Larry Sammons, McCreary 17- 0

2nd: Zack Jones, Spartans 17- 1

3rd: Chad Goodrich, Woodford 33- 3

4th: Jesse Evans, Woodford 16- 8

5th: Josue Soriano, Bourbon 24- 12

6th: James Saylor, Johnson 12- 5

Weight: 150 

1st: Bobby Webb, Johnson 25- 5

2nd: John Conley, Johnson 25- 7

3rd: Brandon Campbell, Woodford 24- 7

4th: Scotty Partin, Whitley 10- 3

5th: Slater Swift, Ashland 17- 3

6th: Vince Shaw, Woodford 20- 6

Weight: 165 

1st: Derek Campbell, Woodford 29- 6

2nd: Sam Preston, Johnson 26- 5

3rd: Zack Ridner, McCreary 13- 2

4th: Edward Reed, Bourbon 27- 7

5th: Brady Fair, Madison 13- 4

6th: Shannon Justice, Ashland 24- 10

Weight: 185 

1st: Jordan Jones, Spartans 16- 2

2nd: Shane Auxier, Johnson 20- 7

3rd: Richard Parriman, McCreary 21- 5

4th: Cody Helms, Ashland 18- 13

5th: Bobby Lopez, Madison 15- 6

6th: Tanner Adams, Ashland 13- 16

Weight: 230 

1st: Steve Hollon, Perry 15- 12

2nd: Ryan Newman, Madison 14- 6

3rd: Brandon Musgrove, McCreary 22- 3

4th: Christian Wilkens, Elkhorn 32- 4

5th: Joe Hall, Morton 4- 2

6th: Zack Cosby, Anderson 3- 3

If these are truly the kids records I'm impressed: Look at all the matches they are getting.

I started to cut and past and it was to much when middle schoolers are 30 plus match's someone is doing a great job providing opportunities.