Sign in to follow this  
stand-up

Hair Bonnets

Heh.

I win my matches.

That's all that matters.

Maybe you get off these forums for awhile.

Instead of talkin up all this BS.

Hooray for e-thugs.

Are we that bored as to make up a subject as silly this? Let the wrestlers wrestle and the spectators spectate.

I'm not so sure it is a silly topic.  Some people have made it silly.

This topic is not much different than the shoe lace rule change years ago. 

Wrestlers took advantage of their shoes comming untied and they passed a rule that they needed to be fastened down.  1st they had to be taped and now shoe companies make shoes with covers.

I believe it is a legitimate gripe.  If a wrestler is taking advantage of his hair coming out of his cover to take a time out then something needs to be changed. 

I don't care if you have long hair braids or no hair as long as it does not give you an unfair advantage over your opponent. 

What if it's not their fault and it just comes off, as headgear does also?

I mean, it's really not that big of a deal. It's just like headgear, if you have a problem with the hair things, then get rid of headgear as well since they seem to stop matches so much.

If your headgear comes off to many times the official will tell you to get another headgear or start changing you injury time.  Most wrestlers who have been wrestling for a while know how to fix their headgear so that it does not move or need to be fixed. 

If your headgear comes off to many times the official will tell you to get another headgear or start changing you injury time.  Most wrestlers who have been wrestling for a while know how to fix their headgear so that it does not move or need to be fixed. 

Yeah, but I think I've seen Wex's hair thing come off max like.. twice during a match? MUCH less time consuming than doing the headgear thing.

I don't see where everyone gets off saying that it's an advantage to be completely honest.

What if it's not their fault and it just comes off, as headgear does also?

I mean, it's really not that big of a deal. It's just like headgear, if you have a problem with the hair things, then get rid of headgear as well since they seem to stop matches so much.

that rule would never pass, kids could get cauliflower ear, thats the whole reason for having the headgear in the first place

Well to yank my chain again, I think people just get frustrated by hair bonnets because they are seen as unnecessary.  Head gear is an essential part of high school wrestling.  Don't worry, you can still wear your hair bonnet.

OK, I'll put this to rest by agreeing that hair bonnets are no worse than ill-fitting headgear.  However, there is no way that headgear is ever going to become optional part of the sport, but it would be very easy to eliminate the troublesome bonnet problem.  Make wrestlers cut their hair.  I know that the glamorous wrestlers will say no way, not my beautiful hair.  Well if you care that much about your hair, you should take up cosmetology and hang with those fabulous people.  One things for sure, you won't be wearing that bonnet on a college wrestling mat.  So if your hair is that important to you I wish you luck at Kentucky School of Cosmetology. 

OK, I'll put this to rest by agreeing that hair bonnets are no worse than ill-fitting headgear.  However, there is no way that headgear is ever going to become optional part of the sport, but it would be very easy to eliminate the troublesome bonnet problem.  Make wrestlers cut their hair.  I know that the glamorous wrestlers will say no way, not my beautiful hair.  Well if you care that much about your hair, you should take up cosmetology and hang with those fabulous people.  One things for sure, you won't be wearing that bonnet on a college wrestling mat.  So if your hair is that important to you I wish you luck at Kentucky School of Cosmetology. 

For one, college wrestlers don't have to wear a "bonnet" at all.

Two, just because someone has long hair doesn't mean they believe it's "glamorous" or "beautiful" it just means that's the way they like their hair. I know I have long hair, but I don't believe it's glamorous or I should "stick to cosmetology" that's just the most ridiculous statement I've seen on this site in a while. Good going.

For one, college wrestlers don't have to wear a "bonnet" at all.

Two, just because someone has long hair doesn't mean they believe it's "glamorous" or "beautiful" it just means that's the way they like their hair. I know I have long hair, but I don't believe it's glamorous or I should "stick to cosmetology" that's just the most ridiculous statement I've seen on this site in a while. Good going.

Amen brother!

I think that both of these issues (Headgear and bonnet falling off) could be resolved by coaches making sure that the headgear is adjusted correctly.  If a headgear is adjusted right, it won't fall off.  If the headgear stays on then the bonnet won't fall off.

I think that both of these issues (Headgear and bonnet falling off) could be resolved by coaches making sure that the headgear is adjusted correctly.  If a headgear is adjusted right, it won't fall off.  If the headgear stays on then the bonnet won't fall off.

Oh sure....blame it on the coaches!!  Should they also be responsible for making sure your shoes are tied, and your butt is wiped? 

LOL...just kidding.  But seriously, this is a funny thread.  Is the hair cover thing really called a bonnet?  Is that the technical name for it?  Man the times have changed, it used to be your only option was cutting your hair with whatever sharp object was handy which usually wasn't a pair of scissors. 

It seems to me that they should penalize the wrestler with the bonnet if it interferes with the match.  TJ Bates at the state tournament his 8th grade year lost a point because he had under armor shorts underneath his singlet.  It was tucked in before the match, but it slid out during the match.  His opponent was given a point, and he lost the match by 1.  I don't see any difference here. 

This is a funny thread, the fact this thing is called a bonnet makes me chuckle everytime I think of it.

What happened to doo rags are they old fashioned already, were they replaced with of all things the "Bonnet". Where does it end, in the future will tights become leggings or hosiery, I hope not. Is it just a matter of time before we see color coordinated separates, we already have under armour, body armour, wrestling socks, what is this sport coming to.

Are style points in the future?

Personally I think its ok to wrestle and look good doing it. The bonnet works well and if it keeps kids from having to cut their hair if they don't want to then its a good thing. But if they cant manage their equipment during a match then they should pay the price.

I defend my friend Wex, he looks good and wrestles even better! I haven't seen him stall with or without the bonnet and I hope he can laugh about this topic with the rest of us.

Seriously the sport should look as issuing rules for what is acceptable and what isn't. It's really not fair for one kid to have to get his hair cut and others allowed to wear a doo rag oops or a bonnet, seems like a good alternative to a bad haircut!