Sign in to follow this  
I-pinned-em-all

Stand Out Wrestlers

So can we put sullivan in the middle school divison, cuz thats all he's facing. Sorry but its the truth. In 2004 when he was at 103 was when it was actually tough, you had ruschell, lewis, cory, miller, wood, etc. all in the same weight class. after that year 103 became a cake walk.  Sorry but he still doesn't impress me one bit, not till he steps up and starts wreslting some solid opponents at 119. Don't wrestle not to lose, you should be wrestling to win. Forget about all the stupid records that doesn't matter, the only way he will get better is if he pushes himself with tougher oppenents. 5 years down the road it doesn't matter what you did in high school, its what you did after.

So can we put sullivan in the middle school divison, cuz thats all he's facing. Sorry but its the truth. In 2004 when he was at 103 was when it was actually tough, you had ruschell, lewis, cory, miller, wood, etc. all in the same weight class. after that year 103 became a cake walk.  Sorry but he still doesn't impress me one bit, not till he steps up and starts wreslting some solid opponents at 119. Don't wrestle not to lose, you should be wrestling to win. Forget about all the stupid records that doesn't matter, the only way he will get better is if he pushes himself with tougher oppenents. 5 years down the road it doesn't matter what you did in high school, its what you did after.

I think that Myron Bradbury would beat most of the best in 2004 pretty handedly... its funny that things were always better in the past.(He would definately do better in the finals against ruschell than lewis did.)

From your name you must be a captain, I feel soorry for your team if you are suppose to be a leader! From your posts you only seem to be a very jealous and immature cry baby.You can look at it any way you want, but Travis will be in the State and National record books for a very long time! And yours will prorably only be in your moms scrap book ,titled; could have ,should have ,would have, and did not.  Boo Hoo :cry:

I-Pinned-em-all I agree with your statement of how good Mason Reid is and Mason is a great get. But saying he will pin through this year is a very bold statement. Maybe he will pin all the way through KY. But remember he has a true test at Beast of the East this week. If he can pin through that he is hands down the best wrestler in this state.

As far as Sullivan goes he is good you cant take anything away from a undefeated 3 time state champ. But why does he not adventure up to the beast and just prove his greatness??? I mean that in all seriousness. Im not bashing him by any means. I think as good as he is he should travel up there and put his wrestling skills to a true test. Is he going to go to Sr. Nationals this year??? I just think he should really be tested outside this state. Just my opinion.

OK Three thats cool, but i've already got mine, i've put my time in on the mat so i got nothing to regret. I've been there done that, lets see... when was the last time sullivan lost in KY? I think it was state in 04, oh & it was to lewis & wood, i think that shows that bradbury would come near or sullivan could come near 103 back then :)

I-Pinned-em-all I agree with your statement of how good Mason Reid is and Mason is a great get. But saying he will pin through this year is a very bold statement. Maybe he will pin all the way through KY. But remember he has a true test at Beast of the East this week. If he can pin through that he is hands down the best wrestler in this state.

As far as Sullivan goes he is good you cant take anything away from a undefeated 3 time state champ. But why does he not adventure up to the beast and just prove his greatness??? I mean that in all seriousness. Im not bashing him by any means. I think as good as he is he should travel up there and put his wrestling skills to a true test. Is he going to go to Sr. Nationals this year??? I just think he should really be tested outside this state. Just my opinion.

Let it be known, I am NOT the one bashing Sullivan! I never initiated conversation regarding Sullivan. Someone else commented and I simply stated I couldn't place him in the same category as the other 5 I mentioned. Sullivan is a stud amongst the lower weights, which is composed mostly of middle school wrestlers and underclassman. I would like to see him wrestle boys/men his age in order to classify him the same as Courtney etc. A couple of Big Macs and a little water and I see him at a plump 119! Sullivan's accomplishments speak for themselves. No one can compare their "accomplishments" to him!!!!

I will change my position on Reid. He will pin everyone in Kentucky. I base that on several pieces of information. A current coach and former NCAA division I All American told me he wrestled Reid lately and was never given such a beaten by any high school wrestler in his life. The coach is no spring chicken and has now entered the ranks, along with me,  as the "has beens", but it still tells me alot about Reid. Another coach wrestled him this summer and told me it was the first time he has ever been thrown to his back and pinned by a high schooler. Reid is for real. He is an exceptional athlete. Can anyone over 170lbs do a standing back flip "after" winning a state championship? I mean no disrespect to other 171 pounders, but Reid impressed me tremendously.

I'd have to say that Ryan Kelly would be one of the standouts.  He was dominating Jones last year in the semis, as a sophmore, before he dislocated his elbow.  We are looking at a possible 2 timer here.

I think Ryan is a good wrestler but I just don't think we can call him an outstanding one just yet if he does repeat then yes we can. But he has not even won a state title yet. Plus in my opinion he is going to have his hands full with Jones to win it this year. I think Jones proved he is one of the top with a tough hard fought win over the returning 215 champion Nickel who could very well be a two timer.

How do you compare Travis to these 103:

02-103

1st Matt Thompson  Oldham County 5- 0

2nd Ben Denny  South Oldham 4- 1

3rd Ryan Dwyer  Seneca 5- 1

03-103

1st Dan Trejo 12 Tates Creek 5- 0

2nd Kyle Ruschell 10 Ryle 3- 1

3rd Ben Denny 12 South Oldham 5- 1

04-103

1st Kyle Ruschell 11 Ryle 5- 0

2nd Coty Lewis 8 Woodford County 4- 1

3rd Caleb Wood 9 Fern Creek 7- 1

05-119

1st Kyle Ruschell 11 Ryle 5- 0

2nd Stacy Miller 11 Larue County 4- 1

3rd Ben Warner 10 Oldham County 7- 1

If Travis wants repect he has to wrestle the big kids and not the 8th and 9th graders.

At least know what you are talking about!  112 top 10  seniors 4, juniors 3, sophmores 2, and only 1 freshman! And there are only 4 freshman even in the top 25! No middle schoolers at all.  Give it up.

well I have watched tapes with ben denny in them numerous times, and I would have to say that I

think that Travis have destroyed him at 103. And he is considered one of the best in years.

At least know what you are talking about!   112 top 10  seniors 4, juniors 3, sophmores 2, and only 1 freshman! And there are only 4 freshman even in the top 25! No middle schoolers at all.  Give it up.

Dear Three, does "three" stand for your I.Q.? If so, I will type slowly, lol. Now let's take a look at what I indicated. The "lower weights" is comprised of 2 weight groups. Notice I indicated "weights". I was not referring to 112 weight group. Plural -vs- singular. Study that concept hard before moving on please. Rather than taking a segment of the rankings and applying your flawed statistics, lets take a look at the entire group as I implied.

103 and 112 combined weight groups is composed of:

3  Seventh graders

5  Eighth graders

6  Freshman

14 Sophomores

9  Juniors

9 Seniors (actually, Frazier and Carr are listed at 112, I'll even count them at 112 even    though they are wrestling 119)

Total: 46 wrestlers (those of whom we know their grade level)

Therefore the lower "weights" are composed mostly of middleschoolers and underclassman. Let's do the math:

9 divided by 46 X 100 = 19%

Seniors make up 19% of the lower weights

Middle schoolers and underclassmen make up the remaining 81%

So, my comment was factually correct. I'll let this one slide, just be more careful in the future!

Fact: Travis Sullivan is an exceptional wrestle.

Fact: Travis has had an exceptional career.

Travis make everyone happy, go to the Beast of the East in a few weeks "not sure of the date" wrestle 112 and see how you measure up.

Either way it will be a great experience, great exposure, great wrestlers and you will get an idea of what senior nationals will be like.

I believe that Kyle Ruschell went his senior year and placed top 8.

Don't you have to be invited to the Beast of the East? Isn't this a regular high school tournament and not an open USA tournament?

I didn't think they normally allowed individual kids to enter thier tournament.

How would Wayne County Schools feel about Travis going to a tournament without his team?  Would they pay for it or even allow him to compete under thier name? 

All questions we (or at least stupid ole me) don't know.  :-D

Don't you have to be invited to the Beast of the East? Isn't this a regular high school tournament and not an open USA tournament?

I didn't think they normally allowed individual kids to enter thier tournament.

How would Wayne County Schools feel about Travis going to a tournament without his team?  Would they pay for it or even allow him to compete under thier name? 

All questions we (or at least stupid ole me) don't know.  :-D

From what I heard of the process, you don't necessarily have to be invited, but you have to be accepted.  You apply, and they take the most qualified candidates.  I have wondered about the team mate thing also.  I always wondered how Ryle felt when Kyle Ruschell went to the beast of the east.  I imagine they supported him 100%.  But that's a good question.  I guess it would depend on what he was missing in order to go to the beast of the east. 

www.beastwrestling.com  You do not have to be invited.  Fill out the application.  Ruschell was top 6 and received a great deal of attention as did Murton, who I believe was top  as well.  I checked their website and Ryle is listed.  Not sure if entire team or Peace and Reid.

This would be a great test for Sullivan.  There will be tons of recruiters there I am sure.  He would have to contact the administrator asap if he wanted in.  Seeding is this week.

Travis,

Here ya go; all the details.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

First Class event.

First Class wrestlers.

Heck you might even find someone willing to sponsor you, or just go with Peace and Reid.

Show the na'sayers what your capable of.

Show the nation that kentucky has more than just Ruschell and Murton good enough to attent this event.

All the opportunites in the world will become available if you place top 8.

I guess the ball is in your court.

Travis;

It would be wonderful if you could enter the event.

It would be great to show what you are capable of doing.

But if you are going to do it, do it for yourself, not for those who doubt you.  You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. 

Remember wrestling is about individuals and doing thigs for yourself not for others.

Travis;

It would be wonderful if you could enter the event.

It would be great to show what you are capable of doing.

But if you are going to do it, do it for yourself, not for those who doubt you.  You have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. 

Remember wrestling is about individuals and doing thigs for yourself not for others.

is it to late to sign up for this? and i looked and i thought it was a team thing.

Dear Three, does "three" stand for your I.Q.? If so, I will type slowly, lol. Now let's take a look at what I indicated. The "lower weights" is comprised of 2 weight groups. Notice I indicated "weights". I was not referring to 112 weight group. Plural -vs- singular. Study that concept hard before moving on please. Rather than taking a segment of the rankings and applying your flawed statistics, lets take a look at the entire group as I implied.

103 and 112 combined weight groups is composed of:

3   Seventh graders

5   Eighth graders

6   Freshman

14 Sophomores

9  Juniors

9 Seniors (actually, Frazier and Carr are listed at 112, I'll even count them at 112 even    though they are wrestling 119)

Total: 46 wrestlers (those of whom we know their grade level)

Therefore the lower "weights" are composed mostly of middleschoolers and underclassman. Let's do the math:

9 divided by 46 X 100 = 19%

Seniors make up 19% of the lower weights

Middle schoolers and underclassmen make up the remaining 81%

So, my comment was factually correct. I'll let this one slide, just be more careful in the future!

Well I am glad you cleared that up, because Travis is at 112! And just so you know, I know who you are and I did date your Mom! :wink:  Travis won 103 state twice as a lower classmen, you know the nobodys. You are a wizard, keep up the good work!

Interesting topic on Stand Out wrestlers. It appears some believe the best record means the best wrestler. Sanderson and Gable have one collegiate loss between them and 7 NCAA titles. They are considered the best in college history by most sports enthusiasts. Therefore, whoever holds the high school record in the nation, should be considered the best high school wrestler of all time. Sullivan will hold that record at the end of the year. Sullivan, should be considered the best high school wrestler in the United States "of all time"? Afterall, he has the record, doesn't he? So next time anyone goes to Ohio, Iowa, Pennsylvania, remind them Kentucky has the best high school wrestler of all time.

Why does everyone run their mouthes on Sullivan?? He is and will continue to be a great wrestler.. I dont think he has to do anything to prove himself. 3years unbeaten. 3 state championships.. And last years state finals getting beat 7-1 then pinning D.C Evans with 30seconds to go. ( Evans wasnt a underclassmen) . He never gave up in my opinion. Thats a true champion.....

Its not a team thing Kyle showcased his skills there as well as Sr. nationals. Murton wrestled at the beast, Peace wrestled there last year. Him and Reid are attending this year. If you cant get into Beast try to sign up for Iron Man I think its the week following. Its a good thing for him to do it. I talked to someone close to kyle ruschell and they said it was looking like he was going to attend William Penn U. in Iowa an NAIA school until he displayed why he was one of the nations best at Beat and Sr Nationals. Sorry guys I love Ky wrestling and I would not say a bad word about it. But we all know being a 4 time state champ in KY does not amount to anything in college or mean you will do anything in the future. Check out Issac Knable a one time NCAA Qualifier did not do a thing while he was there. He also got beat by Chris Seta from Campbellsville his sr. year!

Do it and prove what you have. If you missed out thats tough luck you should have thought about these things. Its no secret its the nations biggest tournament year after year.