Sign in to follow this  
archibaldhumperdink

Team state Champions with no individual champs??????

Minnesota did this at the Division I level in 2001, no wrestlers in the finals.  Good accomplishment teamwise whether it be high school or college.  It takes a team effort that's for sure.

St. Xavier 1998

103---Wallitsch, Scott---3rd

112---Davis, Adam

119---Johnson, Ben------6th

125---Hatteman. Luke----6th

130---Young, Brian-------3rd

135---Cahill, Andy

140---Murphy------------6th

145---Wetzelberg, Greg

152---Cox, Ryan---------3rd

160---Evans, Steve------5th

171---Schnook, Ben------4th

189---Ryan, Brett--------3rd

215---Hansell, Leuis------3rd

Hwt---Sutherland, Brandon-3rd

No finalists

6 Third place finishers

1 Fourth place finisher

11 placers

Campbell Co 1990

103---Wilkens, Brandon---4th

112---Gray, Glenn--------3rd

130---Meyer, Mickey-----5th

135---Hagen, Chris-------5th

140---Segura, Jay

145---Barrett, Marc-------5th

152---Strause, Mike-------4th

160---Zinga, Curt----------1st

171---Hagen, Phil----------3rd

189---Turner, Rick---------3rd

Hwt---Newman, Jim--------3rd

1 State champion

4 third place finisher

2 fourth place finisher

10 placers

Your Research is apreciated.

Good coaching and depth can go a long way.  Quite an accomplishment for a team to win the team state title no matter how they do it.  This says a lot about a team when they pull it off.

If I remember correctly, back in the 90's, Hopkinsville had a team state championship and had no state champions and no one in the finals.  Quite possibly, this team could be considered one of the best "TEAMS" ever in the state as they had 9 third place finishers!!  Wanna talk about a tough dual team!!!

If I remember correctly, back in the 90's, Hopkinsville had a team state championship and had no state champions and no one in the finals.  Quite possibly, this team could be considered one of the best "TEAMS" ever in the state as they had 9 third place finishers!!  Wanna talk about a tough dual team!!!

I don't believe this is accurate.  Looking at the KHSAA website, Hoptown won 1 team title in the 90's (1992) and they had Willien Ennels as a state champ that year. 

In 1984, I heard Simon Kenton took 2nd and was beat out by 2.5 points (by Fern Creek) without a wrestler in the finals.  A lot of 3rd & 4th placers from SK that year.

That is one year before I was born.  :-o  Cool.

Do you think that it is harder today to do this or is the competition about the same.

I think the state has improved overall in wrestling.  I don't know...and then there is always the question of.... is a state champ from the 70's for example the same or better than one from today.  I guess that is the un-answerable questioin.  It is easy to say that football teams from to today would dominate one from the 70's because they are now bigger stronger and faster but with wrestling we have weight classes and strength and speed could be matched.  Maybe techniques exist today that we did not have back then????