Sign in to follow this  
Pinking

2007 Elementary State

In respose to the Indiana State Tournament.  One weekend was for divisions Pee-Wee through Novice and 790 kids wrestled.  This past weekend they had a tournament for divisions Schoolboy/girl through Juniors and 1200 kids wrestled.  The first weekend it was held in a huge sports complex with 14 full size mats in Indianapolis.  The tournament started at approximately 8:30 am and finished around 8:00 pm.  It was a long day and that is why we would like to see it back to two days.  The tournament this past weekend was held at Huntington High School in Huntington, In.  They had 6 full size mats in one gym and 12 full size mats in a indoor football practice complex.  This tournament ran 2 days and finished fairly early on Sunday.  In Indiana, you do not have to qualify for the Folkstyle State Tournaments.  However, for freestyle you must qualify by placing in the top 4 at any freestyle meet held in the state.  Our tournaments are ran through the Indiana State Wrestling Association and they do a good job.  They did have one set of bout numbers for the entire tournament and all weigh-ins were completed Friday evening.  This past year, they utilized trackwrestling and that worked out fine.

This does sound like a well ran tournament.  I am still not a fan of making announcements over the intercom...but the bout system seems to work great.  At the elementary state, we had a different set of bout numbers per mat.  Most tournaments I've seen ran there is 1 series of bout numbers for the whole tournament.  When this is the case (such as at the Ky m.s. state tournament) I like the bout board that Larue County uses the best.  For anyone that has not seen it, it's a big grid that looks something like this:

[table][tr][td]Mat #[/td][td]Wr[/td][td]OD[/td][td]15[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1[/td][td]1[/td][td]5[/td][td]9[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]2[/td][td]2[/td][td]6[/td][td]10[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]7[/td][td]11[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]8[/td][td]12[/td][/tr][/table]

You read this like bout 1, is now wrestling on Mat 1, bout 5 is on deck...etc.  This board is viewable from anywhere in the gym.  Once the tournament gets running it runs very smoothly. 

I've got a bout board that is on a excel spread sheet that I picked up in TN that is great. only takes 1 person to run it. you project it on a screen or wall. We used it a the trojan invitational. worked great.

I've got a bout board that is on a excel spread sheet that I picked up in TN that is great. only takes 1 person to run it. you project it on a screen or wall. We used it a the trojan invitational. worked great.

BNCC you need to remember that this is YOUTH WRESTLING and I'm not sure about Conner but I know we are not supported financially by anyone but our registrations and fund raisers. I would have loved them to have certified refs, they are always preffered. Over all I think they did a great job. I did see some certified refs there and some questionable calls overturned by them. If you had a problem, you should have called them on it. Thank God for high school wrestlers who ref for the sport, or youth teams couldn't afford to host tournaments.

Is there anything special about it or is it just the bout board layout in excel and you just manually plug in the bout numbers as you go along? 

Is there anything special about it or is it just the bout board layout in excel and you just manually plug in the bout numbers as you go along?   

Yes, it's set up as a bout board and it advances the bouts when you click the mat number.

Yes, it's set up as a bout board and it advances the bouts when you click the mat number.

I would very much like to have that file if you could post it.