• 140-Bryan Peace-Ryle
    • 145-Harrison Courtney-Woodford
    • 152-Mitch Ervin-Union
    • 160-John Wolsiefer-Fern Creek
    • 171-Mason Reid-Ryle
    • 189-Will Starks-Woodford
    • 215-Derek Nickel-Doss
    • HWT-Matt Byrd-Woodford

if we had 140 points when mitch started wrestling how did he pick up 8 pts? Union had 144 when that match started and when it was over we pick up the other 4 for 1st place giving us 148

Guest uc215

i think the way it works is the points for a second place finish are award in advance of the finals because you have earned no less than second place....when you win the extra 4 points are awarded for the first place finish....... :|

So, because Ervin clinched the title for Union Co. that makes him MOW?  Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Ervin winning the award.  Union Co. & the Ervins are a class act and it's good to see them on top.  However, the award doesn't go to who helped their team win (Ervin) or who had the most shocking performance (Nickel, although to those of us associated with Doss this was no surprise).  The MOW belongs the the wrestler who had the 5 most outstanding matches for the weekend.  By that criteria, I think the award has to go to Elliott Martin or Mason Reid.  Martin was never in trouble in any of his matches and only gave up 1 point for the whole tournament!  Mason Reid had 3 pins, including one in the finals & a major decision.  He was never in danger of losing a match.  The closest anyone came to him was the 7-1 decision he had over Ben Rupp.  You can make a case for almost any one of the 14 wrestlers, but IMO Martin & Reid were the two most outstanding & dominant.

I think it would be very hard to give the MOW to a 103.  And Mason Reid is a very good wrestler but 171 was probally the weakest weight in the state.  My vote for MOW is between Zarth( he was very dominate throughout the whole year), Courtney, or Ervin

I think it would be very hard to give the MOW to a 103.  And Mason Reid is a very good wrestler but 171 was probally the weakest weight in the state.  My vote for MOW is between Zarth( he was very dominate throughout the whole year), Courtney, or Ervin

Wow, 171 the weakest weight in the state?

Wow, it's seriously one of the most competitive in the state by far.

Maybe not because it doesn't have the Sullivan's and Wolsifier's in it does not mean it isn't a hard weight class, Reid is a beast and would give anyone a run for their money pound for pound in the state.

I can think of 3 or 4 weights off the top of my head that were far less competitive and tough than 171.

I'd have to give the MOW to Voth.  He dominated the weight class all year, was a senior (like it or not traditionally seniors get the award), and won the tournament in convincing fashion.

With regards to Ervin and the team title, in order for Woodford to eclipse Union they would have at least had to pick up two pins and a tech fall, and Ervin had to lose.  However with Courtney only winning by a major decision a loss by Ervin and pins by Starks and Byrd would have tied the score.  At the time when Ervin wrestled his win clinched the team title, making it mathematically impossible for Woodford to catch them.  Even though I am a Woodford graduate and help out with the team when I'm home it was good to see Union Co. win the title.  The whole team and their fans seem like a class act and they deserved it.  However look out, next year we're comin for you.

Counldn't agree more.  Union County and their fans have always been a class act.

Maybe they will be really good over the next 15 years and people will start to hate them too :-D

Congrats to them again.

For all the older generation, Union was hated along with Hoptown for a period of time.

It's kind of funny to see how things change after so many years.

Also, I'm surprised you Woodford guys mind Union County winning, seeing how it was a Union kid that

took down Joe. All  in good wrestling though. I have always enjoyed the battles that we have

had against each other. Sometimes heated rivals can be friends later, I guess.

Now that I think about it, Derek Nickel could have easily won the MOW.  I know it usually goes to a senior, but Nickel did not give up a takedown the whole tournament.  That's pretty impressive for a 215.  He was not scored on in his first two matches.  He gave up three points to Winter (All escapes), three points to Shipp (2 escapes and an unnecessary roughness) and four points to Chaney (All escapes).  No gave up no takedowns, no reversals and definitely no near fall.  That is a good case for MOW.

Nickel was the most outstanding for this tournament.  Lowest ranked wrestler to ever win state.  That alone is outstanding.  Also Ervin helped his team win state, but now people know that Doss High exists and has kids that work their tails off.  Its good to have kids like the ervins and nickels in KY they make us look good.  Too close to call but I am bias so I vote nickel.

For all the older generation, Union was hated along with Hoptown for a period of time.

It's kind of funny to see how things change after so many years.

Also, I'm surprised you Woodford guys mind Union County winning, seeing how it was a Union kid that

took down Joe. All  in good wrestling though. I have always enjoyed the battles that we have

had against each other. Sometimes heated rivals can be friends later, I guess.

I believe Mitch Ervin deserved. not only did he come out of one of the toughest draws. He also beat tough match john golsby, blake sheehan (by a 1min pin might i add), and advancing to state champ over Pat Banks as an underdog winning 6-4.

Congrats to Mitch Ervin, but I disagree that he was the Most Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. I honestly think the two reasons he won it are because he beat Banks, and because his team won the tournament. Matt Zarth dominated his weight class, which was widely considered the hardest in the state. Also, Harrison Courtney showed some great poise and focus in his semi-finals match against Thuneman. That was the most exciting match of the tournament. Courtney could have won MOW.

well one. no coach knew that union was going to be decided winner till after it was announced. by then the mow votes where in. so i doubt that was a factor. and Pat Banks is an exceptional wrestle placing what 2nd last year. thats an accomplishment.  i agree with zarth allowing to be scored on only once.beating a previous state champ. and 2 of the other 3 remaining top ranked people ( excluding him and wood). also the courtney over thueneman was amazing. especially coming up with the pin in ot. i agree he had potential for mow. but you have to take in consederation of who else he wrestled to get there.

the only reason i think courtney pinned him was because he ahd given up already because he lost the match. i think if he had him on his back in like the 2nd period thuenament would have fought off. this probably sounds like an excuse, but courtney should get no more credit for pinning him than he already does for the win. and i give him tons of credit for the win anyway, it was a great match.