Sign in to follow this  
Spectator123

Jefferson County Tournament of Champions

Curious about what coaches consider in making their MOW selections.  In this particular tournament, Lampe was given the award for the lighter weight classes.  My confusion is that he coasted to the semi's with a bye and a forfeit.  Then wrestled two matches...major against the 5 seed and a 2 point victory against the 2 seed.  Not trying to take anything away from him, but I see at least 3 others who had more impressive runs to first place.  Olhman at 113 for example was the 6 seed and beat the 1, 2, and 4 seeds.  Just wondering what the voters see that I don't.

In the lighter classes, St. X won 106, 113, 120, 132, 138, and 145.  Lampe, who is a fine wrestler, is the only non-St. X wrestler to win a championship in the lower weight classes. That might have had something to do with it.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, 8798 said:

In the lighter classes, St. X won 106, 113, 120, 132, 138, and 145.  Lampe, who is a fine wrestler, is the only non-St. X wrestler to win a championship in the lower weight classes. That might have had something to do with it.

Absolutely nothing against any kid who is fortunate to win an MOW at any tournament but...it's subjective in several of the coaches minds i'm sure, but in my experience it is a popularity contest in most instances.

Should it be the "best" wrestler in the tournament who dominated the competition,even though the competition was light? Should it be the lower seeded wrestler that wrestled a great tournament and upset higher ranked kids on their way to a championship? Should it be a body of work over a season or years, because iv'e seen it be a "reward" for seniors on more than one occasion.

I have also seen MOW be a penalty to a team effort such as the example above.  

On 1/7/2018 at 0:57 PM, Spectator123 said:

Curious about what coaches consider in making their MOW selections.  In this particular tournament, Lampe was given the award for the lighter weight classes.  My confusion is that he coasted to the semi's with a bye and a forfeit.  Then wrestled two matches...major against the 5 seed and a 2 point victory against the 2 seed.  Not trying to take anything away from him, but I see at least 3 others who had more impressive runs to first place.  Olhman at 113 for example was the 6 seed and beat the 1, 2, and 4 seeds.  Just wondering what the voters see that I don't.

Lampe wrestled great, any one could see he was struggling with an injury and was in pain. He finished when a lot of guys would have quit. So if that's part of your criteria great. Personally I was impressed with ability to push through.

Now others have made great points about the other weights. 113 put it together 132 scored the most team points in the tournament 3 falls and a major in the finals 138 two falls and a major 145 2 falls and a major. So you can argue for any of these guys.

We all know most coaches don't go back and look at what went on all day before voting some ballots are turned in before the tournament is over. Now you can't tell me there isn't a bias in the voting based on the school I've seen it for three years now. It started in the coaches meeting this year with comments from lets say some of the less mature coaches. 

Overall I personally think Lampe was outstanding for pushing through. For the upper weight it could have gone to either the St-X 195 awesome match in OT or the 220 from Moore. Moore got it could have gone either. Both had great matches.

doing two one for  Most Dominate and one for best match is great idea

• Upvote 2

And let’s be honest, even some who haven’t been around the sport long, are around long enough to recognize the same names and programs doing well. If coaches have been doing this for any length of time they have seen many of these wrestlers grow from middle school so they know their potential and skill set and probably base the majority of their decisions on that info too not just individuals results in one tournament