jnv858

KSWA Youth State Tournament weigh-ins

Coaches,

We have decided to add morning weigh ins for the Youth state tournament on the day of. 

Here is the schedule for weigh ins:

-Friday February 3rd6-9PM at Crowne Plaza Hotel 830 Philips Lane Louisville, KY 40209

-Saturday February 4th1-4PM at Crowne Plaza Hotel 830 Philips Lane Louisville, KY 40209

-Sunday February 5th6:30-7:30AM at Broadbent Arena

-Sunday February 5th 11:00AM-12:00PM at Broadbent Arena

Please encourage wrestlers that can to weigh in prior to the day of the event. Make sure your wrestlers are aware they must show a copy of their Birth Certificate at weigh in.

Questions or issues please contact:

Jonathan Strayer @ jnv858@gmail.com

Tyler Baines @ johntylerbaines@gmail.com

Scott Raney @ purchaseareapounders@gmail.com

2017-Kentucky-Youth-State-Wrestling-Championships.pdf

On 1/23/2017 at 11:43 AM, jnv858 said:

Coaches,

We have decided to add morning weigh ins for the Youth state tournament on the day of. 

Here is the schedule for weigh ins:

-Friday February 3rd6-9PM at Crowne Plaza Hotel 830 Philips Lane Louisville, KY 40209

-Saturday February 4th1-4PM at Crowne Plaza Hotel 830 Philips Lane Louisville, KY 40209

-Sunday February 5th6:30-7:30AM at Broadbent Arena

-Sunday February 5th 11:00AM-12:00PM at Broadbent Arena

Please encourage wrestlers that can to weigh in prior to the day of the event. Make sure your wrestlers are aware they must show a copy of their Birth Certificate at weigh in.

Questions or issues please contact:

Jonathan Strayer @ jnv858@gmail.com

Tyler Baines @ johntylerbaines@gmail.com

Scott Raney @ purchaseareapounders@gmail.com

2017-Kentucky-Youth-State-Wrestling-Championships.pdf

Will MS State weights  be accepted? 

8 hours ago, jnv858 said:

Yes they will. 

Jonathan Strayer

jnv858@gmail.com

Hey will weigh ins for middle school state count for youth state????????????......:)

2 hours ago, She Beast said:

Hey will weigh ins for middle school state count for youth state????????????......:)

Well let me check, i'll have to get right back with you 

7 minutes ago, She Beast said:

Will middle school weigh ins count?:rolleyes:

Good Grief......you have a pen I can right their weights down with??

2 hours ago, She Beast said:

I'll just ask if middle school weigh ins will count when we are at practice tomorrow  .

Practice is cancelled for tomorrow for all our wrestlers with last name that starts with P

7 hours ago, Hammerhead213 said:

Hey, great idea to do day of weigh ins, your only running three hours behind. There are some real geniuses over in river city.

Which volunteer were you today? As much BS that KSWA took for not having same day weigh ins for the people that didn't want or couldn't afford to stay the extra night in the hotel, I thought they did a great job with over 1200 kids in a one day tournament. Secondly, the River City team did an amazing job running the KSWA youth and Middle school tournaments. Total class acts! 1st year running the whole tournament on Track, 24 mat surfaces. Great Job KSWA and River City. Maybe Hammerhead 213 should join Basketball. In and out of the gym in a hour!

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Hammerhead213 said:

Hey, great idea to do day of weigh ins, your only running three hours behind. There are some real geniuses over in river city.

Better to be a little late with correct weights? Than to be early and brackets have noticeably bigger kids in the wrong weight class. Just my opinion . Forum was great 2! 2 thumbs up!

I saw Gameface (Ryle), Coach Strayer  (Anderson Co.), and a ton of River City folks working Friday all day setting up...Saturday all day at the Middle School Championships and afterwards  setting up for Youth State...Sunday all day and afterwards breaking things down and cleaning up with folks from East Oldham, Maritime, and a few others.  I might be missing everyone, but is that a complete representation of the member KSWA schools and clubs?  Where were all the volunteers from all the other clubs/teams who were willing to jump in so the meet could run more smoothly?  Thanks to all those I might have missed who volunteered, but it is easy to complain when you are unwilling to volunteer.  I am glad River City and those others picked up the slack.

• Upvote 2

As far as the volunteers go.  Hats off to them.  Its a lot of work to put something that big on.  However, I did volunteer to help with both days.  I had no response, so I guess they didn't need the help. So just because someone didn't volunteer didn't mean they weren't willing to, just sayin'.

4 minutes ago, Wrestlingmomof3 said:

As far as the volunteers go.  Hats off to them.  Its a lot of work to put something that big on.  However, I did volunteer to help with both days.  I had no response, so I guess they didn't need the help. So just because someone didn't volunteer didn't mean they weren't willing to, just sayin'.

I'm confused by your response. None said anything about you volunteering or not volunteering. This was a direct comment about someone being negative toward River City (which I'm not a part of) for a decision the KSWA leadership (which I am apart of) to hold weigh ins on Sunday. So that more kids could wrestle in the state championships. For the benefit of the ones that either didn't want to or couldn't afford just to come down a day earlier for the sole purpose of weighing in. As for volunteers, I spent all day Sunday on the Microphone asking people to come down and help on the 24 table, 2 sessions. If you wanted to help and didn't, you might have not been there Sunday. It's OK. We got it done by some amazing People!

3 minutes ago, gameface said:

I'm confused by your response. None said anything about you volunteering or not volunteering. This was a direct comment about someone being negative toward River City (which I'm not a part of) for a decision the KSWA leadership (which I am apart of) to hold weigh ins on Sunday. So that more kids could wrestle in the state championships. For the benefit of the ones that either didn't want to or couldn't afford just to come down a day earlier for the sole purpose of weighing in. As for volunteers, I spent all day Sunday on the Microphone asking people to come down and help on the 24 table, 2 sessions. If you wanted to help and didn't, you might have not been there Sunday. It's OK. We got it done by some amazing People!

Yes, you were asking someone which volunteer they were.  I was simply stating that I had contacted them to say that I would volunteer.  I am new to this sport and don't know a whole lot about it still, so I did not feel comfortable volunteering to work a table at such an important tournament, but was willing to work doing something else.  Just trying to make it clear that just because some did not work didn't mean they hadn't volunteered to help out.  I volunteer a lot at my kids' activities and I know it is extremely hard to get people who are willing to help and I truly appreciate the work that you and everyone else put it!!  For the amount of kids they had, I thought everything went very well.

1 hour ago, Wrestlingmomof3 said:

Yes, you were asking someone which volunteer they were.  I was simply stating that I had contacted them to say that I would volunteer.  I am new to this sport and don't know a whole lot about it still, so I did not feel comfortable volunteering to work a table at such an important tournament, but was willing to work doing something else.  Just trying to make it clear that just because some did not work didn't mean they hadn't volunteered to help out.  I volunteer a lot at my kids' activities and I know it is extremely hard to get people who are willing to help and I truly appreciate the work that you and everyone else put it!!  For the amount of kids they had, I thought everything went very well.

You'll never know how to run a table if you don't try. Offer to one day, all you do is start the clock on the whistle and look for the ref to put up points and you press the up buttons accordingly. Stop the clock when they whistle, reset the time when the period is over and reset the clock when the match is over. There's not much more to it, it's typically not a one person show and if you said you were new I'd imagine they would work with you and set you up with someone not entirely new that did the bout sheets. 

• Upvote 2

I volunteered to work the table at a few tournaments this year and I have to say, my experience, as a volunteer, yesterday was the best. Top notch job by River City with a tutorial on Track Wrestling (I've never used it before, but can't see why every tourney doesn't use it...tremendous) and they had folks running everywhere to help track down missing coaches. My son had a rough day wrestling, and the early session went a little long, but once it started, seemed smooth as silk.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, klrace said:

I volunteered to work the table at a few tournaments this year and I have to say, my experience, as a volunteer, yesterday was the best. Top notch job by River City with a tutorial on Track Wrestling (I've never used it before, but can't see why every tourney doesn't use it...tremendous) and they had folks running everywhere to help track down missing coaches. My son had a rough day wrestling, and the early session went a little long, but once it started, seemed smooth as silk.

Thank you for  working the  table and being open to learning how you can help promote Kentucky Wrestling. This is the biggest problem we have is table workers. There are several of us that will help answer questions as they come up but we need people in those seats willing to do a little more than being a spectator. Some of our sons have moved up to MS and HS but we come in for the day to help run the event so that other wrestlers get to enjoy what our kids did. And I'm still working on a way to get the face offs back into the youth tournament. Continued Growth and Track wrestling are requiring the time for now. 

I believe that we as an organization are moving in the right direction. This is not criticism, just some thoughts.

1. I love the fact that we did track wrestling for the first time this year. Unfortunately, we as an organization don't have the money to put 24 electronic time clocks and 24 tablets/lab tops at each table yet. Suggestion- flip top scoring so that we could see the scores on each mat would of been great. Then the tablets/ lab tops could still run the bouts and keep scoring for the tournament. 

2. As far as the volunteers go, I believe we  volunteered over 25 people to help on Sunday at youth. We also covered a table all day on Saturday. I know Darren was yelling for me all day on Sunday, we only had 3 coaches on Sunday afternoon for our 16 wrestlers. We had 6 kids on different mats going at once. Hard to coach 2 kids at the same time. Especially not knowing when they are coming up. Obviously these issues are a good thing. In many tournaments we just let the next kids wrestle and come back to that match at youth events but with track you can't skip that bout. So you have to wait for a coach to come free. Again, that just takes up time. I'm not the only coach with that problem. 

I believe that overall the tourney went well. Minor things to fix. We need to get everyone to the meetings in Spring and Fall to hammer things out. Our communication as a group needs to get better as a whole. We can't run a battleship with just 3 people.