Chris Duke

Which freshman are poised to make a deep run at the NCAA Championships this March?

Is Austin expected to start ? If so that might be one of the more fun lineups to watch this year as far as exciting freshman.. Nature boy MacTruck give us some insight ?

Guess we will know  tomorrow after the Black and Gold intra squad dual ,Nice article heavyweight class is a bit different than the others just like in High School its upper class dominated ,Austin gets put in the fire right off the bat 4 out of his first seven matches are top ten guys including the best in the world possibly .If he wins the spot as I suspect he does..Austin did as well or better than most big name guys  in HS but anyone who knows the sport knows a freshman 285 will have a rougher road than say a fr 125 just the way it is .I do not think there are any fr or rs fr better than Austin at Hvy the only two ranked ahead of him he beat easily  in HS and placed well ahead of in opens last yr ,A four yr 220 in HS who will rarely be the biggest guy may have it tough BUT hes not a normal Human being he already has most of the strength records at Mizzou  and I imagine he sets a couple no one ever breaks or no other wrestler anywhere matches so lets see how it develops lol

im sure he improves this year in a room with 5 other heavies a coach who was a nat qualifier and MAC champ 2 yrs ago and an occasional partner who happens to be a 2 xer a Bronze medalist and oh yeah Austins next door neighbor .:}

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, tja said:

Is Austin expected to start ? If so that might be one of the more fun lineups to watch this year as far as exciting freshman.. Nature boy MacTruck give us some insight ?

Everything I've seen has Missouri expecting Austin Myers to start

OK ,I know there are ways of extending a wrestlers eligibility ,rs ,inj rs ,oly rs,But how can Micic be a Jr in college and have fr eligibility when you only get 5 yrs total regardless unless you get an Olympic rs,  he must have had a rs and an Olympic rs? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i was wondering the same thing also how does Earl Hall wrestle all year last year listed as a senior then petitions for another year and gets it.. Also think Boston proved in the wrestle off that he can step in if Earl gets hurt and definitely have a shot at AA 

4 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

OK ,I know there are ways of extending a wrestlers eligibility ,rs ,inj rs ,oly rs,But how can Micic be a Jr in college and have fr eligibility when you only get 5 yrs total regardless unless you get an Olympic rs,  he must have had a rs and an Olympic rs? 

A medical can also apply. I've seen plenty of people get away with 6 years if they play it smart. Doesn't always help in the end but it does happen

• Upvote 1

Yes but according to ncaa website there is a five yr clock regardless .check it out .

I did see kids Austin wrestled in HS in his grade train with college teams last yr compete in opens usually the fr div come in and be true fr this yr entering after a yr out of school .

A ton of scenarios and schemes everyone waiting for the top spots to open and the Jr's and srs who are top ranked to be gone .When a couple top srs this yr redshirting.

Others like med berry coming off an Olympic rs.seems odd in order to be an Olympic rs you should be on the Olympic team but it's not the case you can be like top 8 or something ???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/5/2016 at 11:43 PM, NatureBoy said:

AUSTIN won his Black and Gold Match 7 -2 think he's  the Starter now .

Nice work! Looks like he is in a room with a number of good partners.

Yes hate to see him have to take one of his friends spots he and Romero have wrestled together all summer good thing he can rs he got thrown in the fire last yr as a fr.Miklus ,,Jden, Romero, Jiovanetta,all the hvys a great heavy coach in Melon and the rest at Mizzou a good group all working to be their best .Nice write ups in the Columbia Tribune and some other papers in Missouri talking up Austin Myers from KY good stuff .A lot of work to do no easy roads but it's a good start .

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Missouri site and the Mat .com forums have expected lineups .Jden is listed Eirman may be out for Mizzou not sure Austin will have either Will Hilliard ,Or Beazley if they bump him to run from Cox :) BEAZLEY RANKED 9 ,10 ,and 12 in various rankings at 197 an accomplished freestyler who I think was ranked 2 at 216 for team USA in greco so it would be interesting The ODU fans seem to think  he would make an easy go of Austin the Mizzou fans seem to think differently .Austins Teamate at WV  last yr Jake Smith is ranked just ahead of Beazley and I doubt he handled Austin easily if at all lol so I doubt Beazley would cream Austin as they seem to think either way he will face much tougher than him this year so they might as well throw him at him Hilliard moving up last week from well below Austin to just above him on wrestles tats for going 2 and 1 or 3 and 1 last week in a fr  soph div of a college tournament is a joke and shows how bad wrestles tats is in some rankings Beat and lose to non high ranked guys and move way up is a bit confusing to me .but as i saw last yr at tournaments a lot of info from fr soph div in tourneys was put in as open info saw a couple times some kids get higher seeding for putting in misleading info and stats .All good .Looking forward to tomorrow whoever they throw at him a lot of kids never get the chance  to start on any team let alone a top 5 D1 team at HVY.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm sure his road ahead is a lot tougher but in his first ever start as a D1 Heavyweight Austin gets a pin after a quick reversal in the second after choosing down leading 2 to 1 after the first .

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

DUAL OF THE WEEK MIZZOU VS V TECH. AUSTIN WILL HAVE THE #4#3 DEPENDING ON WHERE U LOOK EITHER WAY ONE OF THE BEST HEAVIES IN THE COUNTRY SR TY WALZ.

I look forward to that match. Will be a really good indicator of where Austin sits in his first. I noticed that Doug Vollaro, one of the heavy's Austin battled with last year, is slipping higher up the rankings breaking the top 12 at Intermat

Yes I think Vollaro is 9 Walz 3 .Austin came very close to beating Vollaro it was a 1 point match with Austin coming very close to a turn .Austin beat a wrestler last yr who had wins over Walz when they were fr or soph in college and had 1 point matches with Walz after that this is a couple down the road but it shut an indication btw Austins rank on wrestlestats is a joke he pinned the 49 guy last week and dropped 8 spots that shut don't mean nothing in due time Austin will put his knowledge together with his power and be a force .I look forward to all his big matches and going either way I know Austin like he did with Brinson always comes back better ..It's that Indian german Irish ky blood all the warrior races lol oh and his brother is pushing wv to take over nky wrestling it's all good in our camp He'll yeah 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Nice first period then the experience of a rs Sr 3rd ranked wrestler in the nation pretty much was to much for Austin In his second match as a starter for Mizzou the first of a few rough days I'm sure he will have on their Schedule never gave up back avoided a tech or pin it's all good he fared better than the highest ranked heavy in the mac rs Sr JJ Everard did earlier this week Everard a top 25 to 20 ranked guy gave up 2 more than Austin early this week to Walz ,still some work to do some conditionsing to work on but it all seems to be in the plans it's Nov a long way from march.

MIZZOU WON HANDILY which will help  Put a ky boy at Nat duals in a better spot :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Nice first period then the experience of a rs Sr 3rd ranked wrestler in the nation pretty much was to much for Austin In his second match as a starter for Mizzou the first of a few rough days I'm sure he will have on their Schedule never gave up back avoided a tech or pin it's all good he fared better than the highest ranked heavy in the mac rs Sr JJ Everard did earlier this week Everard a top 25 to 20 ranked guy gave up 2 more than Austin early this week to Walz ,still some work to do some conditionsing to work on but it all seems to be in the plans it's Nov a long way from march.

MIZZOU WON HANDILY which will help  Put a ky boy at Nat duals in a better spot :)

Thanks for the update! I was expecting a huge age difference for austin and Walz due to the rs senior vs rs frosh, but after looking it up he's less than 1.5 years older, 9/23/95 vs 3/11/94. The extra years in the Vtech room really made a difference.