Sign in to follow this  
wrestlefever

Favorite Wrestling Venue (High School Only)

What are some of your favorite places to watch wrestling or you wrestled at in the state of Kentucky.

My personal favorite:

Fort Knox (The scenery, the airplane hangar type gym)

Some places that I vividly remember for one reason or another were Johnson Central (especially if you had one of their kids in the finals it was loud, intense and their fans were not shy about expressing themselves. Their tournament was neat you'd wrestle three duals then the top kids would come out in a 4 man individual tournament).Western Hills has an arena type domed gym that's pretty cool.Central in Louisville is cool, old bleacher's, brick exterior, takes you back to a bygone era.Outside of Kentucky one of the best experiences was at the finals of the Bishop Ready Invitational in Ohio. The gym was a crackerbox and every single seat was filled and the crowd spilled over onto the gym floor. Had little kids and adults sitting cross legged on the floor. Loudest place I've ever been for wrestling.

The Civic Center in Frankfort was awesome. As a wrestler, the crowd felt like they right on top of you. As a spectator, you couldn't ask for a better venue. We never should have moved the State tournament out of Frankfort.

Love the dome at Western hills. I remember wrestling in one like it also in Oldham co, I think it's the girls gym.

Talk about old school, the old frankfort high gym that hosted capital city classic was it! Loved wrestling in that old gym. 

Civic center is the best I have been too in KY so far. 

If anyone ever has the opportunity to go to Chattanooga TN. Go watch a Bradley Central match. The spot light on the mat for duals is awesome.

It will be hard to replicate the intensity that the Civic Center provided. Apparently we outgrew it, which is a good problem to have, but I do think the new arena makes the event less personable.  Of course, this is just my opinion. 

Holt high school in Michigan has an incredible gym. Plenty of room, a walking track above the seats and plenty of floor space for mats. 

What if the KHSAA sold premium seating for the state finals?  I know the NCAA does it and it seems to be full every year.  Would make some money for the KHSAA and I bet some would pay for it on the one side.

Speaking of the State tournament and how it has consistently went down hill since leaving Frankfort, I recently heard that Mike Barren and the KHSAA took possession of the award podiums from our coaches association. Unfortunately the KHSAA didn't realize how much room the podiums need for storage so they threw them out. They are gone. The center piece of the award ceremony is gone. Won't be long before we are wrestling in a barn standing on roll bales for podiums, with no face offs!