Sign in to follow this  
crazyotto

SWOWCA

On 12/18/2015, 7:18:01, Captain America said:

Following on Kapwrestling. Erdman lost first match (rec'd 1st rd bye) to unranked Pulaski. Guessing something not right. Meiman not wrestling. Ryan Moore and Cornett both 2-0. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, crazyotto said:

Not knocking anybody, please work on reading comprehension. Or, get over yourself. The world is not one huge conspiracy theory as you tend to believe it is. I asked what is up w/ Erdman as I expected to see him cruise. That is in no way a knock. No way. 

Back to the event......WV with two in the semis, Roth and Moore (pin, tech, pin). Castellano from SK also in the semis.

That would be 3 Walton Verona wrestlers in the semi's. Mason Smith is in. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, crazyotto said:

Cornett in finals. Sets up match with Evans. KY with 4 in finals, not a bad showing. I think three go against Elder.

Thanks for posting. Let us know how it goes.

• Upvote 2

Very good showing for WV. Had 4 kids so, so close to placing (Macaraniag, McMillin, Hammond, Ruber) in addition to the 3 placers; could have easily finished higher than 10th. 

Roth 4th with 2 losses at the buzzer (in OT in semis) beating 10th ranked (OH D1) Baird in conso semis

Moore 1st unscored on all weekend with majors, techs and pins throughout

Smith 1st awesome battle in the finals with Goliath kid from Elder (kid said he was 6'3" but I swear he was at least 7 ft tall)

• Cornett tough loss to Evans, 3-1. WV brought it this weekend. Two champs and a 4th. Looks like Roth was close to making finals. Team finished 10th. Ryle brought 7 wrestlers, three placed. Looks like a lot of illness/injury going around. Only one team (Marysville) brought a full squad. Where was Meiman?
  • Upvote 1

What a good tournament!  There were some very good matches this week.  Walton wrestled very well, they are going to be a good tournament team with their 3 studs, and the other kids wrestled very well.  Their HWY made a small mistake that probably cost him from placing.  They will end up making noise this year for sure.

106- Brossart wrestled well, placing 4th.  Both losses coming to Byrd from Lasalle. 

113- Roth definitely got a bad call in the semi's.  Had 2 takedowns taken away from him, one was definitely out of bounds, the 2nd was extremely questionable on why the ref didn't award the 2....  However, big match for him was coming back and beating Baird from Harrison!  Baird was a returning state placer, big match there for Blake.  Blake looked good for sure.  Shay Horton also places 8th, beating some good kids.  He actually had the Fairfield kid on his back twice, the second time he was stuck, have no clue what the ref was looking at. 

120- Ryno was on a mission.  Looks to finally be getting his legs back under him.  I believe he had bonus points in all of his matches....

126- Dante looked great.  Beat a good kid in Ragle and Quinn to reach the finals. 

138- Logan came out flat first match, wasn't prepared.  Learned his lesson, kept his head up and came out and fought all the way back to 3rd.  Revenged his lost first match in the finals with a dominate 8-0 win. 

145- Mason wrestled very well.  Craig from Elder is tough, not to mention well over 6 foot tall!  Mason is tall for 145, and he was by far the shorter opponent in this match.... crazy....  However Mason is a stud on top, and he rode Craig out in the 2nd period and escaped in the 3rd, fended off some late period takedown attempts to walk off the mat with the 1-0 victory.  Nice job here.

170- Casey wrestled very tough.  Evans is no slouch.  Got caught on that inside trip early in the 1st period and that was the difference maker.  After that Evans couldn't produce again, but he has great hips, and Casey came close on a few really nice shots just couldn't secure the takedown.  I would say if these two see each other again, that inside trip doesn't work and these two battle it out even more so than what they did yesterday. 

Walton finishes 10th with 11 wrestlers, Simon Kenton finishes 17 with 9 wrestlers, and Ryle finishes 22 with 7 wrestlers. 

The big issue like Otto stated..... wrestlers were WAAAAAY down this year.  only 1 full team.  36 teams this year, they typically run around 40 teams.  Here I thought it was just us this year, I see now it's all over, a lot of teams seem to be struggling with numbers, injuries, and illness.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Coach Wagers said:

The big issue like Otto stated..... wrestlers were WAAAAAY down this year.  only 1 full team.  36 teams this year, they typically run around 40 teams.  Here I thought it was just us this year, I see now it's all over, a lot of teams seem to be struggling with numbers, injuries, and illness.

Nice re-cap, Coach Wagers. I believe Mason has gone elsewhere the past few years. Mater Dei has not been able to attend due to travel restrictions. Add in a rash of injuries/illnesses and the field shrunk considerably. There will always be scratches, we had a few notable scratches at North Canton this weekend. This year seemed to be worse than normal at SWOWCA. Bump in the road.

25 minutes ago, crazyotto said:

Nice re-cap, Coach Wagers. I believe Mason has gone elsewhere the past few years. Mater Dei has not been able to attend due to travel restrictions. Add in a rash of injuries/illnesses and the field shrunk considerably. There will always be scratches, we had a few notable scratches at North Canton this weekend. This year seemed to be worse than normal at SWOWCA. Bump in the road.

Correct, Mason has gone to the Dvorak invitational last year and this year.  Can't say that I blame them, Dvorak is a good tourney.  As much as I love SWOWCA, traveling to get different competition I think is huge for a team, especially when you will see all your local teams at other events.  A lot of coaches gave Mason grief when they dropped SWOWCA two years ago, rightfully so considering they are one of if not the top team in the city, and this is a large local event for the whole tri state area.  But on the other hand I totally understand why Coach Murnan made the call.  Not to often can you get that type of quality event and learn from it.  And if you're going to see each of the other teams, some teams multiple times through out the season, to me, going to Dvorak would be the right thing to do.  I get both sides of that. 

There were quite a few scratches at weigh in's which is typical.  Moe missing 3 of their studs definitely hurt them in the team race.  Ward would have been a finalist, and entry alone would be justified to see the Ward/Sams match had it taken place.  Curious if Ward was hurt, why was he drilling and going live with older brother Joey for 45 minutes prior to the start of the tourney on Sunday........  a little bird told me that those three were a little banged up, could have wrestled but were saving them for Cheesehead tourney over Xmas break. 

To give you an idea of how many wrestlers we were short..... Kapwrestling actually provides a time estimation for the event, based on all the matches lasting full 6 minutes.  Prior to weigh ins we were supposed to be completed Saturday approx: 10pm.  After weigh ins and brackets were created, the time changed to approx: 7:45.  And I want to say we were done right about that time.  

Numbers are down all over for many many reasons.  2 teams dropped out before the event, 2 teams cancelled at the beginning of the season.  They tried getting more teams to come, just didn't happen.  I hope you are correct, and this is just a bump in the road........  one thing I have noticed over the years..... xmas break comes and more and more kids disappear for that break........  scary..... 

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone is giving credit to Castellano. He wrestled very tough two weekends in a row. He beat Thiellman at Edgewood tournament 14-3 and he also took second at SWOCA. He's looking tough this year. He's a sure competitor to watch for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1