Sign in to follow this  
BigBlue13

Coach of the Year

1. Andy Critchfield-Henry Clay (has 1 senior and a roster filled with mostly freshmen and sophomores). Won their sectional duals, qualified 11 for the state tournament.

2. Aaron Riordan-Oldham Co. nobody ever really talks about them but they are quietly one of the best teams in the state.

3. Atherton's coach- The job he has done rebuidling that program is nothing short of amazing. They don't have any state title contenders but they were solid and that in and of itself is a massive accomplishment.

The coach of the year usually goes to the head coach of the state championship team.  Happens about 95% of the time.  I think it didn't only a couple of times. 

I'm not saying it shouldn't but that is really the coach of the state tourney.  A coach such as the Atherton coach who was mentioned above will never win the award.  

This is unfortunate: This award should be given to a coach that has improved his team dramatically over the last year or so.  It does not have to go to a state champion coach or even a state champion contender.  

With that said I think in region 6 there are three contenders for this.

1st:   Don Graven of Scott High school--- He has done wonders with his team and he has done it alone.  He has no assistant coach, he has a middle school coach that helps him when he can. He has several kids that will contend for placement at the state tourney.

2nd:   Mike Flaherty of Cooper High School-- He has a very small team but has many contenders for high placement in the state tourney.

3rd;  John Roth of Walton Verona:  The team is still very young but has many contenders.  (however:  I would wait another year or two since this is his 1st year as head coach) 

I agree with GOO, it's just a popularity contest. Manual qualified 9 wrestlers for state out of region 4 with only 3 or 4 years of wrestling experience. Their coach will never see it either

only reason 3 and 4 are down is a numbers thing Fern Creek Trinity X and I think Doss are the only teams that fill full squads and with scoring to 8 places give them a real advantage in scoring in such small tournaments where there are teams with just 3 wrestlers. As for skill levels they are still at the same high standard. Fern Creek , X and Trinity will finish in the top 10 at state if not in the top 5 or 6, Doss will do well as will Manual, Moore and Male. So numbers may be down but quality is still there.

What about union county... Graduating 6 state placers and two all time greats and still being a top contender. Usually this would be a rebuilding year for a program

Olympian I completely disagree with you on Mr. Flaherty at Cooper.  He has not ever done anything to help his wrestlers on or off the mat. For the past three years he has told the parents that he would be doing off season work, this has never happened. Here is some history on the wrestlers that will be wrestling at state  Zack Holub (freshman) won state at middle school state--always wrestled for a Kenton county program..  Cody Huston (sophomore) a Columbus OH transplant that trains at other wrestling clubs. Monroe,Kidwell,Bailey,Davis and Stiener are all Nick Spatola trained. If anything Spatola deserves all of the credit. Flaherty is there to pick up a pay check and that is it. The thing about Cooper wrestling is that you have a bunch of wrestlers and a bunch of parents that care more than the coach.  He wouldn't take the team to big school duels this year even though we could have gone.  We as a varsity team had 12 weigh inns last I checked we are eligible to have 17 weigh inns.  So next year when most of the boys will be seniors Cooper will not be eligible for the duels.  He continued to tell the parents that the schedule was full when we all knew it was not.  A sign of a good coach would be to level the playing field and put your team it the best possible position for success. Not by having several open dates throughout the season.  Mr Flaherty has no relationships throughout Northern Kentucky or the state for that matter. No invites for the Wildcat Brawl or the Ryle Raider Rumble those are in his backyard. Cooper is not invited to the Dragon or any of the better tournaments throughout the state.  While im not calling you out on your picks because im sure you were not aware of any of these things. What I am doing is telling you that all the credit needs to go to Nick Spatola not Mr Flaherty.

I'm not trying to take sides but if this is true then I think only 3 or 4 teams showed up for big school duals.  I'm not sure about the invites but i'm sure if Cooper wanted in any of those tourneys all they would have to do is ask. 

As for the Spatola trained:  Many kids from many different school are trained outside their school teams.  I believe a lot of WV kids train with Spatola and many CC kids train with Zerkle. (or at least they use to).  So does Spatola and Zerkle get credit for their success?

If your talking about wt. lifting and conditioning as off season work then I understand.  But USA wrestling is left to the individuals, and there are plenty of opportunities in NKY for that. 

Once again I don't know all the ins and outs just what I see on the mat and the success that Cooper is having. 

OH---- I like the complement but just call me GOO.   :D  :ph34r: I'm just an olympian at the dinner table. 

I don't know that many WV kids train at Spatolas. If we give any outside individual credit for our kids success it would be Coach Jordan and the St Paris Graham crew (we do a lot of camps and open mats up there). But honestly our boys put in a lot of hours in the barn at Coach Cornett's in Verona. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears shed on those mats over the last couple years. KY Xtreme!!!

I think the official name of the barn is the "oven"

We have had a lot of visitors from all over the state. There are so many dedicated wrestlers and parents willing to do a little extra to help achieve their goals.

It's been pretty cool having the opportunity to make so many new friends over the years.

I don't know that many WV kids train at Spatolas. If we give any outside individual credit for our kids success it would be Coach Jordan and the St Paris Graham crew (we do a lot of camps and open mats up there). But honestly our boys put in a lot of hours in the barn at Coach Cornett's in Verona. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears shed on those mats over the last couple years. KY Xtreme!!!

I thought the Jones' trained with Spatola with a few others. 

it would be great If he asked to be in those tourneys but he would rather have the Saturday off.  Why would a high school coach not take advantage of the 17 weigh inns to make their kids better? any opinions?

Devils advocate:  

I checked your schedule on Track.  varsity had 14 weigh ins.  (That is if Cooper did not attend the Ft Knox Inv, otherwise 15 weigh ins)

Most teams will have between 15 and 17.  (Some save one, Just in case something comes up)

I agree that a team in KY should try to have around 50-60 matches throughout the year. 

ok so you are wrong again GOO one of the weigh inns on track that you counted was a jv  grant co and scott co and the other tourney the jaguar classic all the teams brought their jv squads I don't think one of our studs wrestled for more than 3 minutes the whole day. so like I said we had 12.  I know your squad was at the jag classic which proves my point even more.  how many times did we face the likes of Grant co,holmes,and Newport we would have been better served facing jv teams of good programs.  so you think he has done a good job then I guess having one of the weakest schedule in ky is good?? come on man you are better than that

I think the official name of the barn is the "oven"

We have had a lot of visitors from all over the state. There are so many dedicated wrestlers and parents willing to do a little extra to help achieve their goals.

It's been pretty cool having the opportunity to make so many new friends over the years.

You mean the "icebox" don't you? Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrr!

Sign in to follow this