Sign in to follow this  
supernat

What are your thoughts and impressions on how the state tournament will shake out?

I've made my semifinal predictions on another thread, so I will start out with this; in one 4-man pod you have Mike Klein v. Gentry Deck and Nate Wheeler v. Kaleb Sapp. There is also another 4-man pod that has Ervin v. Steppe and Miller v. Roth

On the top half, I think most or all of us expect to see Ervin vs. Tucker in the semis. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cagen Wallace from Wayne Co. make it to the quarterfinal against Tucker and keep it close. Also, Brandon Miller got the short end of the stick, but he's a very technical wrestler and I believe he'll make a good run through the wrestle-backs and finish on the podium. As for the bottom half, Adam Bender has a fairly clear path to the semis, likely facing Klein or Yenter. I won't be surprised at all to see Bender in the finals. 106 is a balanced weight this year, and I'm excited to see it unfold.

Deck beat Bender early in the year.  Since then (even at regionals), I would say they are not that close right now.  For a 'dark horse' so to speak I wouldn't fall asleep on Cagen Wallace.

Cagen Wallace is probably the most dangerous bracket buster in this weight class. Klein, Miller, and another wrestler peaking at the right time that people are ignoring is Haverstick...all of which are capable of making this weight class very interesting to watch. I think Insko is very technically sound. But...will lose to the more seasoned wrestlers. My money is on Bender to surprise everyone at the end.

Sign in to follow this