Sign in to follow this  
coachyost

Team Kentucky Youth Trials Tournament

I just notice that Team Ky tryouts will be the same weekend as AAU Spring Naional Tournament, this is very disheartning both for coaches and wrestlers. Many of the wrestlers participate in both as they both are a well earned and hard to achieve Goal for youth. I would hope that the powers that be think about this, the warriors should be able to participate in both these tournaments as they did last year, not choose between one or the other, we want the best competitoin and wresters to represent Ky in both, this eliminates much of the competition in one or the other. Thanks for hopefully listening. I really hope my son wrestlers can participate in both again this year. Thanks again.

Sincerley, Coach and Father

Mark Rodriguez

After looking at several options we have decided to stay with the orignal date Mar 14 for the youth team trials. This obviously may not be the most convenient for some wrestlers who have went to other tournaments in the past. We want to take the best team that we can to these tournaments and have came up with an option for wrestlers that desire to travel to another tournament that week. There are 2 Ways you can still be eligible to challenge for a spot on the youth team 1. You were on team KY last year. Or 2. If you choose to attend another tournament and you weren't on the team last year you must place at that tournament to be eligible to challenge. If you can't make it to the team trials you must contact Coach Yost at coachyost@gmail.com, Coach Moore at Jason.moore@anthem.com, or Coach Brown at gavin11403@yahoo.com

That sounds great. I know that I will have several boys that wrestled for team KY last year that are excited about being able to compete for a spot. We always look forward to the 3 day weekend in Kingsport not only to wrestle but to travel together and create lasting wrestling friendships as a team from Kentucky.

We want to take the best team that we can to these tournament

As a state does this mean that we are going to keep the youth kids on the youth team and make a run at it?

If we build from the bottom our team will grow a lot faster.  It may hurt the middle school team this year but will help in the long run.

I want to send the 8th graders to high school with the best team KY experience as possible. They have worked hard to get where they are and we should want to provide them with the best chance they have to win and sometimes it is having a younger wrestler on the team. This decision is left up to each wrestler if they qualify for both age groups. Our youth team would be better if they stayed down this year. If they wrestle with the middle school they are getting more experience and making room for another youth to get experience at the national level. The more kids we have competing at this level the better prepared we will be when they are older.

Gavin and I have talked and he has made the decision to wrestle with the middle school because he believes that this is the next step to achieve his goals. This will also help get ready for Super 32 and all middle school preseason tournaments that he wrestles in. I have a feeling his teammates that can do either may feel the same way. We should still have quite a few that will really help the youth team. We have at least 12-14 kids with national tournament experience and look to add a few more this year.

I believe exposing as many of our youth wrestlers to this level of competition is the best way to grow KY wrestling. Not by filling spots with one of the 6th graders who won middle school state so that our youth team can make a run at it. Yes, it will hurt our middle school team. More importantly though, it will hurt the development of our program by taking that spot away from another one of our youth wrestlers. I feel it is important that we expose as many of our wrestlers as possible to the level of wrestling they will encounter at a tournament like the Heartland Duals. It's equally important though that we help them keep things in perspective and help them understand that, at this moment in their young wrestling career, this is a great learning experience for them as well as for us as parents. We all get to see just where our young wrestlers and how far they need to go. My hope is that this experience will ignite a fire in them that they will carry throughout the year. I say throughout the year because it wasn't too long ago that my son realized there is no offseason when it comes to wrestling. It is a year round sport. I agree that the best way to grow is from the bottom up. So let's expose as many of our youth as possible and watch them grow.

My son performed well Sunday and I have registered him for the Youth Trials. I do have a few questions though, if someone can help me with these I would appreciate it.

He wrestled at 52 pounds Sunday. When I put in his track # it placed him in the 55. Is this correct or should I have changed it? Kinda new to the trials and track wrestling. Thanks

I think that is a great compromise to have the origional date and then offer up placers of the other tourney to have an opportunity to challenge.  More mat time for all which is what I think is the best in the end!  Great job at coming to a decision that will be benificial to all the kids Jbrown1405 and all the other higher ups.  Working together to get the best competitive team to represent Team KY is great to see. 

Last day for registration for Team Kentucky Youth trials this Saturday!! Flyer is in first post on this thread. Link to track wrestling registration on flyer.

This is for 6th grade and below only.