Sign in to follow this  
Chris Duke

Looking for a good club team in Northern Kentucky

Thanks for the info Ranger.  I hope it all works out and we don't have 60 middle school kids looking for a place to wrestle.  If it doesn't work itself out at least the parents will know where to look.

Makes me so sad to think that all the hard work that so many put into the MS teams in Kenton Co. could literally fall with one clean swoop! Hoping for the best! HS programs need feeder programs or they will die out and set Ky Wrestling back. We have come too far for that to happen!!

That would be terrible for Kenton county to make that descision. I do know if they did, there are enough club teams in northern Ky to accommodate all those wrestlers. Imagine what kind of teams you would have. Wow!!

Hopefully Kenton county does the right thing and keeps the teams they have.

Gerald Turner is the Kenton county superintendent. He is my old high school wrestling coach. I can't imagine he is not fighting to keep these teams.

From my understanding Terry Cox-Cruey is the superintendent of kenton county. From my experience with changes her and Barb Martin has made hurts Kenton county sports with the whole traveling and spending overnight for kids to see better competition. Like in the past when kenton county schools were at a the hammer and anvil tournament kenton county teams were made to leave while campbell county and others were permitted to stay and finish out the tournament.  Just a lot of bs in my opinion. It hurts kids who have been working hard to compete in a sport and be told their efforts were for nothing. 

This would be a terrible thing if this were to happen. Kentucky wrestling at all levels is much stronger these days because of the youth and middle school programs. HS teams need these feeder programs. A lot of very good kids in the Kenton County wrestling community. I hate to hear about this. Hope something can get resolved quick.

If this really comes to be true. Covington Catholic is starting a MS program this year and I'm sure they would welcome any kid that needed a new place to compete. Coach Dave Johnson is the HS Head Coach and has surrounded himself with a very good coaching staff at both the HS and MS level. They also have a good little youth program. If you can't find a place for your child to wrestle, you might want to reach out to Coach Johnson. You will be in good hands wrestling for those coaches!

Hope it all works out!

Just for some clarity.  Kenton County schools are not looking to shut down or eliminate the Middle School wrestling programs.  Apparently one of the AD's brought up the issue of club teams competing with and against school teams.  With the KHSAA now administering Middle School sports, the concern was raised as to whether or not the KHSAA rules would permit this to continue to happen.  The initial thought was "let's just follow the rules to the letter".   However, the point was raised by another AD after speaking with his wrestling coach, that this would cripple the wrestling programs as there are almost no events where club teams do not compete, as well as the fact it would eliminate Kenton County wrestlers from competing at an post season event.  The biggest fear, and the reason why the KHSAA doesn't allow school teams to compete with club teams are insurance issues as well as the proper training and certifications of the club coaches.  USA Wrestling and the fact that the KSWA requires all club coaches to go through and complete all required KHSAA training/requirements will hopefully alleviate those concerns and allow things to continue as they have been.  The KSWA did a good job of anticipating this possibility, and took the right steps last year, which is huge.  At this point, in the conversations I've had with my AD, nothing is set in stone at this point, and there remains a good chance that this is much ado about nothing.  My fingers are crossed, and I'm sure at least two of the AD's will be fighting very hard to make sure Kenton County middle schools will continue to be able to compete as they have in the past.  

If this really comes to be true. Covington Catholic is starting a MS program this year and I'm sure they would welcome any kid that needed a new place to compete. Coach Dave Johnson is the HS Head Coach and has surrounded himself with a very good coaching staff at both the HS and MS level. They also have a good little youth program. If you can't find a place for your child to wrestle, you might want to reach out to Coach Johnson. You will be in good hands wrestling for those coaches!

I agree Cov Cath is a great option.  They are a new club with great coaches.  The only problem is a kid has to either attend a catholic school or attend CCD/PSR classes. 

The best option is if this happens we form a Kenton Co Club Team.