Sign in to follow this  
uk_rebel33

TAPOUT RULE

I don't know all of the rules of wrestling, but imo the tapout rule needs to go.  I see kids from time to time tapout to avoid being pinned and then end up winning the match.  If you tapped out and won the match, were you really the winner?

I know this is also a high school rule and this is not MMA, but if I tapped out and won, I wouldn't feel any sense of victory.

Its kind of like when you were a kid playing tag and just before you were tagged calling timeout.  It wasn't allowed then and shouldn't be allowed now.

This is probably a national rule and would take serious legislation to change, but I just wanted to get other opinions on this.  Maybe mine will change.

• Upvote 1

I may be showing my ignorance, but I didn't know that there was an actual tapout rule. When I see a kid tap, and a referee stops it, with no illegal hold being applied, it truly infuriates me. Wrestling is a rough sport, sometimes it doesn't feel too good. As a matter of fact sometimes it out right hurts. Kids need to toughen up a little. Tapping is not an appropriate way to stop a match, period.

• Upvote 1

Agree. I think the problem comes in where the official has to make a judgement call. The kid is tapping or crying out; is the kid hurt or not? I generally come down on the side of if it hurts bad enough then put your shoulders to the mat. But the official is generally going to make the call to err on the side of safety for the kid. Don't like the result, but it is hard to argue. All it takes is being wrong once and a truly injured kid gets hurt worse.

Very good point Ranger. I never want to see a kid get injured, and it truly is the referees #1 responsibility to keep the kids safe. I just think we as coaches can maybe better emphasize to our kids that there isn't an actual tapout rule and that this isn't the UFC. Another problem that may be a contributor to this, is the fact that we are dealing with a very funny age on the middle school level. Some of these kids are prepubescent and still have a lot of childish mannerisms. They are more likely to cry out when they are in pain or are in a "scary" predicament. Referees shouldn't always automatically stop the match when a tap occurs. I believe a more seasoned referee would be able to read enough into the situation and make the correct call.

The rule on stalling is call it when seen.  The rule on a pinning combination is if it is potentially dangerous or illegal call it immediately to avoid injury.  If the referee can see that the move is not illegal and not potentially dangerous they must let the match go on and count the near fall and slap the mat if a pin occurs.

If illegal or potentially dangerous stop the action.  If not one of those two criteria action continues.

Iwin you are right. Seasoned officials are able to quickly evaluate the situation and notice potentially dangerous situations as jw refers to. The problem is the younger officials who get a bit nervous when kids scream out.

Referees should try to talk to wrestlers before stopping ex. if a kid looks likes hes getting choked but can talk to you hes not choked just trying to get it stopped

How in the world can you allow a kid to tapout in the state tourney?  My son was down 6-3 and put kid in the splits and ref stops the match.  Kid was on his back pinned and yelling because it is painful, but a legal pinning combination.  Of course he goes on to lose the match, but it should have been over.  Either ban the split or ban the tapout!

It's called a cross-face, not a cross-throat!! Lol That would be a MMA hold.  Seen many youths in the riding position reach across the throat. Waiting till they can't talk may be to late. If they're on the throat, it's illegal. Being able to talk is irrelevant. 

• Upvote 1

It happened to my son this year. 7th grader, wrestling up in a high school match. broke out of a cradle, snatched the kid in a headlock, perfectly legal, kid squealed and tapped, ref broke the move and restarted them. The high schooler went on to win the match. Ref told me that they now have a squeal rule and have to break the hold. I told him he should have awarded the pin instead since he was caught, flat, tapping, and sqealing. It sucked, but we tried to turn it into a learning lesson for my son.

Just because he squeals ref shouldn't stop it unless in officials judgment he is hurt. The rule is if near fall is imminent and they stop it you get additional near fall plus ones already earned