Sign in to follow this  
bumstead

Just Dreaming

I was thinking how cool it would be to have teams made up from their state champions to compete in a 48 duel team event. I'm sure there are more knowlegeable peope out there about this subject. and I know different states have seperate divisions like ohio. So they would use their top class. Now the only #1 ranked kentucky wrestler in the U.S. is Boston. But top to bottom aganst other states. how do they compare? Top 20?

I think those are called nationals lol... I know what you mean but it would be impossible to get something like that sanctioned let alone trying to determine a location but Kentucky would do very well with not just Boston but Austin Myers whom I believe would win as well and possible many others could place etc....Would be exciting to watch but impossible to try ro put together because states like Michigan to have different weight classes and so many other factors that come into play.. Maybe in the future someday an event like this may happen in all high school sports but isn't reality today. Fun to dream though . Kind of like a March Madness wrestling tournament !

That is definitely worth some analysis.  I think KY would definitely be top 20 off the top of my head with Boston, Ervin, Fausz, ATM as nationally recognized wreslters.  If I'm forgetting anyone I apologize.  As far as filling all the weight classes other states have more depth but as far as a one dual type tournament, definitely top 20 IMO.  I will check it out and respond when I get time.

Kentucky has placed well at NHSCA nat duals the last few yrs , to think they would place top 20 is actually a slight to them they would do much better than top 20 . With the bigger wrestling states only getting one team , Penn , Ohio , Calif , Ill , and a few others NJ would get the top spots Ky I would guess anywhere from 7-17 !very respectable !!

Maybe a better tournament team than dual team ! Another thought a national tournament all 1s from each state , ky would put a big handful on a podium of eight giving them possibly a better outcome than a dual tournament ,Boston Blackwell , Brock , Fausz , Myers , all would place and I would say at least one of the Lampes would or could as well along with a few others who might make it depending on draws and what not . But who knows five on podiums usually makes for a good showing Penn and Ohio would put them in. At every weight not sure of Cali top to bottom Ill woud as well they are always tough Mich usually has great ones and champs in my limited knowledge of the sport over the last decade .

I would add Michigan and Minnesota, but I do think KY would be top 10.  So who would be the team by weight?  I'm thinking the following but am certainly no expert so I'm open to the debate:

106 - Tucker Hurst  Woodford County

113 - Jason Hall  Moore

120 - Nathan Boston  Woodford County

126 - Trae Blackwell  Union County

132 - Brock Ervin  Union County

138 - Sean Fausz  Campbell County

145 - Mike Whalen  Henry Clay

152 - Justin Lampe St. Xavier

160 - Dominic Lampe  St. Xavier

170 - Ki Ryder  Fort Campbell

182 - Mikey Smith  Moore

195 - Darrius Parrot  North Hardin

220 - Austin Myers  Campbell County

285 - Landon Young  Lafayette

Yeah I mentioned Mich not so sure of minn but yeah that's apple valley and kids like Bentson guess they are up there . Georgia may be up there somewhere as well they have some tough teams and kids and Indiana gets overshadowed between the big wrestling states of Ohio penn and Ill I think they are better than most realize .

Penn , Ohio , Ill could probably put together a couple teams that would beat Ky best in a dual not blasting but those states are tough and deep , but with all states using just their best and one team I think Ky could be top ten , they pretty much proved they could the last few yrs at Nat duals !!

Not so sure Cali is on the level of Penn and Ohio or Ill I know NJ is tough just seems to small to be as deep as the others, seen some of the best from Cali in jr high the Midwest kids Ohio ind I'll beat them handily The Mich Rumble , and I know a few do well at Iron man from Cali but on a whole I see their best get beat by Midwest kids , just my own observation / opinion , Valencia's being standouts from Cali .

I do think Penn is the toughest state as far as wrestling goes pretty much from youth up .

With Georgia stepping up and Ky getting it done it seems wrestling is spreading south , maybe an Sec team other than Missouri gets wrestling back . Still mind boggling that the SEC does not have wrestling :(

The the number of schools that offer wrestling in Kentucky high schools that is is still only one tenth of how many schools offer wrestling in ohio pennsylvania illinois california georgia The list goes on and on and to think with that many wrestlers just from the limited number of schools is amazing from the state of kentucky. it just shows Kentucky has great coaching and dedicated wrestlers

It will take some time to catch up in regards to depth.  It definitely starts on the youth level.  Youth wrestling tournaments are standing room only on Saturdays in MI, OH etc.  Typically 300 - 500 wrestlers ages 6 - 12.  Then in HS you can see the results are more tri and quad meets after school and fewer tournaments (because pretty much every high school has a wrestling team).  I know some of the H.S teams around MI have 40+ wrestlers.

Gents,

This would be an awesome event for sure. I know you guys would kick our butt with B. Ervin, S. Fausz, K. Ryder, and A. 
Myers. But at 106 and 126 I think us Hooisers have got ya!! C. Red at 106 and S. Micic 126 have the lock down. I have watched Ervin beat up on us to many times. I know what Myers can do by watching him at nationals. Fausz, well his resume speaks for him and I watched Ryder monkey stomp our state runner up (who lost 5-4 in the state finals) last year in a off season tourney with a major decision. So we can definitely compete with you guys at two weights for sure. I believe our 182 would give you a good run also.. I think Red would be our most dominate for sure at 106. 

How would Ky do in a dual against its neighboring states? Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Tenn, Virginia, and Wv. My guess is 1-6.

Has more to do with depth as Ky's best is too legit. Big Ten/ACC and Oklahoma don't recruit kids who can't win.

• Downvote 1

How would Ky do in a dual against its neighboring states? Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Tenn, Virginia, and Wv. My guess is 1-6.

Has more to do with depth as Ky's best is too legit. Big Ten/ACC and Oklahoma don't recruit kids who can't win.

KY would do much better than that. There is much better depth in KY now than a few years ago. Out of the list of names above I know we would do well against our neighboring states. I would say we would be 3-3 or 4-2. The way the KY wrestlers have been going stronger in the offseason has been closing that gap quickly.

• Upvote 1

Keeping in mind that it would only be the starting 14 that count and not the depth of the state, I would think 4 wins for sure, maybe 5.  I don't see KY beating Ohio or Illinois.  Missouri would be close.  Kentucky would take Indiana I think.  I have no doubts about WV, VA, TN.

Sign in to follow this