Sign in to follow this  
IWIN

Hammer and Anvil

Hammer and Anvil , Campbell County Wins , 5 Champs , second year in a row winning the overall and taking the OW back to CC ,

Not the biggest tournament in Ohio by any means but a good time with some Southern And central Ohio teams and a good team from Mich and Sk as well this year to add some more KY talent to the mix,

OK just to set the record straight

Woodford has 13 titles 5 in the 70's 4 in the 90's and 4 in the 00's

Union has 6 titles 1 in the 70's 2 in the 80's 2 in the 00's and 1 in the 10's

North Hardin has 4 titles 1 in the 60's 2 in the 70's and 1 in the 80's

Campbell has 4 titles 2 in the 90's 1 in the 00's and 1 in the 10's.

Next comes Hopkinsville, Trinity, and St. X with 3 each.

I'm not sure what a dynasty consists of But Campbell, Wooford, Union, and Trinity are perenial favorites every year.  They have down years but are always competitive.

As for the best of all time, that will always be debated.  I'm sure the 90 and 04 teams at Campbell still think they are the greatest.

To add a few other points as to the all time greatest teams ever...among the highest point totals in the 32 man era 1) 2003 S.Odlham 257 

2) 2004 Campbell Co 234  3) 2002 Woodford Co. 233.5    The top 3 point totals in the 16 man era all belong to Woodford County. As far as back to back state champions the 90 &91 CC teams are matched by Union C 2007-2008, Woodford Co 96-97 & 05-06 ,Sheldon Clark 94-95,

N.Harden 68-69, Trinty 09-10 and ahrens trade 64-65  Oh yea Woodford has the only 3 peat 72,73, &74

Most of those teams scores and accomplishments were done at a time when Ky was obviously and without question behind the times as far as wrestling goes , with the exception of the Carrs who actually competed on a national level in HS , CC had three HS AA last yr and a couple on the 2012 team , even a champ each yr , and Union had a champ last yr as well , I wonder how many of those teams from back when actually wrestled up to date teams like Union Ryle CC an some other teams do now ,

The 2004 CC team had nothing remotely comparable to the 2012 team , All Americans , National Champions , College wrestlers D1 NAIA whatever , multiple x champs whith national rankings , seriously comparing the good old days wrestlers with modern day wrestlers who get it done on a national level is laughable , great to respect your history and past champs but ignorant not to look at facts and results , take the top kids from 2012 CC team compared to the top kids from the 04 team I'll take four from the 12 team and make the top four from the 04 team seem inconsequential at best , and it goes well beyond the top four , who knows if it rates amongst the best teams in Ky I'm sure it does but without doubt it is light years beyond any other CC team , as for what the 90 and 04 teams or any one else thinks or wishes or blindly believes it doesn't stack up to facts and wins against the best in the nation , not just wins against in state comp , of course some from that 12 team are not done yet so I would say the accomplishments from that years team or wrestlers are still growing . Woodford seems to have the win record locked up but I doubt even any of those teams had the number of national level noise makers the CC 12 team had on it , different measuring tools for judging success ,

As for a dynasty not sure what some consider a dynasty most would say three great yrs in a sport as in a couple championships or a few runner ups and a championship or two who knows , much easier for a private school to form a dynasty surprised that in Ky it's great teams have all been public schools union Woodford Larue CC with the private schools putting it together now and again .

Personally I admire Union a small school with a great history and great wrestlers and I'm sure my all time favorite would be Woodford with its great coaches and history of multiple titles but being around the CC team and knowing the sport somewhat it's obvious that the 12 team was special and easily CC best and a team that could compete and do well with any in the nation in a big tournament level . Having some studs who would place at any tournament in the country and some others who would win some at any tournament as well .

CC seems to be the dominant team in the state from youth up championship teams and nationally ranked kids in HS , now what happens in a few years who knows But I see great talent in youth there in Wells Moore and Yenter who could make national noise just like the big four from 12 ,

To be honest the bar is being set to the highest level possible at the moment and the youngest gun on the 2012 team will guarantee it goes down as one of the best ever teams in Ky history as he adds to the accomplishments of its numerous studs .

I can agree with the word "Dominate"... Few teams can dominate top to bottom in and out of state. They have a great youth and MS program to keep them loaded for a while

No it's ok to hope for some competition , the belittling is done by those who shout run about and flash signs and by those who flash pictures of such unsportsmanlike conduct ,

Anything following that behavior on the matt or by fans who condone that behavior or who constantly push buttons is simply fun to some , all the trash talk about how weak 220 is and all the rest in hopes of BELITTLING an undefeated multi x state and national champ and his family will be turned back on those spouting the garbage when their own wrestlers are shown to be ridiculously inferior not a kid with broken bones in his hand losing by a point but kids who will look as if they know absolutely nothing about the sport as they are completely dominated coaches who do not shake hands with champs not wrestlers who do not shake hands with coaches will see the consequences of their own unsportsmanlike conduct and in general the most dominat wrestler to ever step foot on a Matt in the state will leave everyone in every tournament knowing that no one of his caliber will ever step foot on that same Matt again . Not that he is dominant in a weak class LOL

If I was going to belittle anyone I would mention how bad the NAIA kid on Lindseys team whooped your big D1 superstar :)

• Downvote 2

Seems a lot of D1 guys lose to NAIA wrestlers even by major , :)

...and I think we will see more of this. There is not enough D1 scholly money to go around. Some kids don't want to commit to the D1 lifestyle. Lots of great wrestlers at non D1 schools.

Does anyone have complete results for Hammer and Anvil? Was only able to find jv results.

Results at Baum's: http://www.baumspage.com/wr/wbrown/2013/2014%20Results.htm

He looked good coming back from a brief layoff as did Turner . With only one serious injury keeping a starter out now a few banged up who were never out and those returning looking fairly sharp things are not looking do bad for CC as they did a few weeks ago . I guess this weekend will be a better measuring stick for where some teams stand .

As for compairing teams of old with ones of today it's easy to say they would not compair to wrestlers of today. Yes the training, knowledge, Diets, and technologies have changed. But Tarzan, You have not been

around wrestling long enough to have any Knowledge of the histories of Kentucky wrestling.A Jeff Fitch

who dominated his class Just as easly as ATM. He would sit by himself and read books until his name was called, go out and pin the guy then sit back down to his book. Newport Catholic was a private school who had some remarkable state champs Rick Barker 3x state champ, Mark hennessy. They spent most of the year wrestling in the catholic league in cincinnati stX,Moller Elder & the like. CC wrestlers would, after their practice go down to Northern Kentucky University and practice with the college wrestlers.Then go to the Y swim and sit in the sauna to lose a few more lbs. Our parents were gust as proud of us as you are of your boys. They saved their money to send us to camps, travel to matches, my father never missed one single match I ever had he would take his vacation to watch me. as I did when my son wrestled. The matches have always been as exciteing and thrilling from one generation of parents to the next. But as for me, & You can ask coach B. But in a duel match the 04 team beats the 12. you can have your doubts but remember. you were not there to see them both. The 04 team had more seniors and experience. yes the 12 team would win some matches. but top to bottom, Bankempers son, the hienz cousins, and co. would prevail.

Newport central Holic , you must be joking , and you life in a fantasy world , ATM has wrestled across the country I doubt anyone from NCC ever made it out of ohio or ky let alone win national titles at every level of the sport like ATM has , I have been around for over a decade coached more matches than most HS coaches and seen the best youth jr high and HS wrestlers in the country comparing thrm to some has been program that couldn't keep a team makes me laugh when you bring up someone from it , and no you or anyone else has not seen anyone dominate like ATM has in Ky your ridiculous

• Downvote 1

Newport central Holic , you must be joking , and you life in a fantasy world , ATM has wrestled across the country I doubt anyone from NCAA ever made it out of ohio or ky let alone win national titles at every level of the sport like ATM has , I have been around for over a decade coached more matches than most HS coaches and seen the. Eat youth he high and HS wrestlers in the state some has been program that couldn't keep a team makes me laugh when you bring up someone from it , and no you or anyone else has not seen anyone dominate like arm has in Ky your ridiculous

You may be wrong, you may be right. Comparing the present with the past will never be known 100% no matter what. Pure speculation.

And I personally think the 90 CC team was better than the 04 team.  The upper wt.s were mean and dominating.
But there is no way to compare these teams. 

I also think that Troy Cole from Conner may have been the best that I ever saw in NKY.

But these are just my opinions and everyone knows opinions are like butt holes everyone has there own.

Here is where I do have to agree with Tarzan.  Going up the weight classes you have Boston, Trae, Brock. Fauz, ATM.  I have seen Kentucky wrestling for 30 years and can't remember a time when this many nationally ranked high school kids were in the state at the same time.  Sure you had a handful of them, even one wrestle in the Dapper Dan and in the Olympics.  However, let's be honest, you likely have 4 D1 recruits this year...with ATM a certainty next year.  That's at least 5 D1 signees in the state tournament, with possibly more before it's over...not to mention NAIA signees.  This year is really packed with talent...and at the national level.  More than I have ever seen in Kentucky at one time. 

One question, Tarzan, I expect ATM can win high school nationals and I certainly expect him to get D1 offers (may have them coming already).  Will he wrestle heavyweight next year to prepare for college?  Not sure what his natural weight is and where he will expect to wrestle in college.  Since we are all proud of him and his accomplishments, and we will be proud to say he represented Kentucky when he is winning big in college, we are already interested in how you think he might start preparing for college wrestling.

Bulldog you alway say the 90 team was so good "pribably because you had more to do with it or were a part if it "and i assume they were but there wasn't a nationally ranked kid on it and no one the caliber of Yenter Fausz Stephen or Austn you county guys might as well get it through your skull ATM is the first , best ever from day 1 !!!! And he's a good kid raised to do it right .

And not 1 kid on that team or any who have ever wrestled for CC would or could beat Austin at his best so far or even as a fresh and he hasn't seen his best HS days yet get serioous throwing that heavy weight comment out there lol

I'm still trying to fathom the NCC comment now it's not just good teams but non existent teams who had guys who could hang with a soon to be 4 xer and multiple x champ Omg some people have no respect or no clue either one doesn't matter .

Best you ever saw once again your homer for the oldies , except I think your leaving out the Carrs who probably were the best ,

Now on paper and not just in state I'm talking from the age of six till he graduates No ONE HAS ATMs record No ONE ,and at his weight not under 170 or whatever , I really don't have to toot his horn he's about to be a three timer and be undefeated for three straight yrs in HS comp knocking down two hs nat titles along the way to go along with his youth and hr high nat titles ,something No ONE has eve done as a jR in ky ,

90 lol

And while that NCC guy may have been reading books ATM and his brother we're being coached by Olympians and NCAA nat champs for more yrs than any NCC guy even wrestled hahahahahahahh

No one will even realize just how good ATM iis untill he's in college and no HS kid in Ky ever has a chance of even remotely copying what he has done ,

As for colleges it's a different story he walks around 235 a bit chunky and around 225 wrestling season till comp day not a real hvy yet not even a big 220 but I think he wants to go hvy he's a jr so he has time and with the trend in d1 redshirt ing everyone he Definatly has the time to grow into a short but legit hvy and he has lifting knowledge second to none including coaches .

Quite a few colleges I wouldn't be surprised to see him with Boston or somewhere there )

Abouts Iowa St is impressive I like their confidence and ATM has always been infatuated with Iowa , maybe see him in a Princeton singlet lol he was very flattered to get contacted by them , thinks hes a genius now or something . Big Huskers Fan , and he's hoping for a couple more

He could easily go hvy next yr but might just say at 220 for the clean sweep , no problem wrestling who ever wins state at hvy though if it will make bulldog a believer !!!!

NCC hahahahahahahahba

Sure nationals will get tougher and I expect him to want to try for the double in fargo !

NCC hahaahahahahahbaba

Mean and dominating lasts about 37 seconds on a good day against ATM on his avg one .

Boston and ATM at ISU, would be awesome! Kevin Jackson prepping ATM and Troy Nickerson training with Nathan, man I see NCAA AA's that KY can be proud of!

Sign in to follow this