Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

State Duals Format

I would like to hear what the fans and parents think of the State Duals Format. Do you like Big School / Small School? Do you like the previous format better? Why do you like what you chose? Please keep it constructive. I don't want your opinion of "it sucks" or "its great". I want constructive thoughts that can be in taken into consideration by the coaches.

With only one year under our belt with the new format it is hard to compare.

I did however find myself only following one of the events.  What I mean is that those who are there for the large school duals will probably only focus on the large school matches and vice versa.

It is hard to follow two tourneys at one venue.  Other than that there seems to be little difference, except we didn't get to see Larue or Union wrestle Campbell, SK, Trinity or St.X.

MS and HS duals at the same time would be awesome.  Those who attended our Union County Middle School and JV tournament this year have seen the facility that we have at our disposal.  This was very cheap and has enough room for probably 10 mats.  Which is more than enough mat space to run Middle School, Big School, and Small School at the same time and in the same building/arena.  I think this would be a great event for Kentucky wrestling.  Us high school coaches can have an oportunity to see some of the up and coming studs in the Middle School ranks, and the Middle Schoolers can see what High School Wrestling will be all about.  That being said, these three great events in one place, would be awesome, regardless of where it is held.

• Upvote 2

I much prefer the old format.  I think this creates a watered-down championship and like bulldog-leader said it's very hard to follow both tournaments at the same time.  I haven't looked at the format closely in a year, but is there any reason why the big school and small school champions couldn't wrestle at the end?  To me that seems to be the easy solution to satisfy both parties.

• Upvote 1

If you add the middle school duals to the event then it takes away from the middle school duals.  

The objective it to highlight those middle school teams at the state duals.  If you combined them then the high schools would outshine the middle school event.  They should have their own event on their own venue.

I like the format,just may need minor adjustments.one problem we have is teams opting out of wrestling in sectionals. I think this is tough issue. Some teams just feel as if they can't compete, so they don't go. Is there any suggestions people have to get all teams to want to participate?

I like the idea of MS duals at the same facility. Maybe that event could be held the day after HS. That would allow those MS kids who wrestle varsity to compete in both and both teams could still travel together.

Having the small school champ vs the big school champ could possibly be a little anticlimactic. Neither team has anything to gain. Kind if like wretling for a true 2nd place, who cares. I've seen Sheldon Clark win it all and I've Woodford win it all. I've seen years where small schools outshine big schools, and vice versa. If I were a kid or coach of a winning division team, I wouldn't want to wrestle for an overall championship. KY is too small for any type of 2 school division folks. Earn it or work harder. One division is the way to go in my opinion.

Sign in to follow this