Sign in to follow this  
IWIN

2014 Team State Champs!

Ok Kentucky wrestling nation, lets hear it!! Who do you have and why? Campbell Co and Union are the obvious favorites, but I have a feeling that there are some other teams that will make a run. I like Woodford Co as a dark horse. They have some returning kids that will make a run plus a few kids that could step up and help out. Not sure if they are deep enough to get there, but I believe that they are a top 3 or 4 team that could compete for the big prize.

They should compete but Fausz Austin Mathews three state ranked 1s Sparh Maggard Turner high placers along with Sinclair heavy who should do very well !!!! Surprised CC is t favored with three favored champs usually a team with4 high placers would be favored CC had six Or more !!!!!!!!!

St. X has some hammers back as well. Possibly 3 or 4 finalist and 3 or 4 placers. Those points add up quick. My gut tells me that CC and UC will be battling for top honors, but as we all know, any team can get on a hot streak and put together a complete tournament. Should be a very exciting year with absolutely the best class of wrestlers that I have seen in KY.

I agree , it does look impressive and there's a bunch more plus's in the mix a big heavy talent in young from lafayette great wrestlers from Ryle SK and a great wrestler in jones from Wv in our region along with some up and coming an building teams like Newport Boone awesome stuff , you have to love wrestling

Couldn't agree more Mpire. Gotta love wrestling. I know that Newport has an outstanding group of coaches, but do they have any talent there yet? Are you aware of anyone who has chose to wrestle there?

No but they have some kids with heart and some with potential , and yes great coaches down to earth honest helpful class acts , good stuff , good luck to them

I remember Eric Slugantz wrestling. He was a monster on his feet. Sometimes he actually looked bored on the mat. Glad to hear that he's coaching. I would say that Cov Cath might have the most talented GROUP of coaches in the State.

Don't know , coach B does a great job , Joe car jr has impressed me the most outside of CC you can't argue with a hands on bring it guy who actually cares about kids even when they are not on his team , I look forward to having him work with my boys at some point or points in their wrestling lives , good stuff my oldest is great with you g kids he just has that outgoing energy they connect with nit sure hes a great coach but kids love him and if they love you they would work for you , something to be said for making it personal being nit only a coach but friend mentor role model many want to keep the separation believing it gives them a tool to use when necessary many football coaches are this way standoffish until they are needed for effect , I could t be like that to big a heart , although I do and did push the heck out of any kids I trained .

Yes back to Cov Cath I think spatola is there , he is a cool cat :)he will do well talented down to earth and I'm sure he will shoot to have a great team he came from a classy school with a great history in the sport and had a great coach coming up so he knows how its done .

I wasn't implying that any single coach for Cov Cath was better than someone else's coach. I just think they have a very large and talented staff that could rival any other team in the state. Joe Carr Jr. is a phenomenal coach. Like you previously stated, he will work with anyone that wants train no matter what team they wrestle for. Success breeds success. I can't wait to see your little one come up through the ranks.

Lol me either , but you never know I won't over pressure him and he has no brother as my other boys had to beat on train with go through it all with , he does have a special energy and is focusing better than I thought he is a lot like Stephen wants to have fun but unlike them he doesn't seem overly concerned about winning lol nit that 5 yr old should all about fun and introduction for him , he does get his pump on in the gym already though I suspect he ends up stronger than ATM but smaller he will be my 160 170 lber .

How's your team coming along ?????

I think CC and Union have to be the favorites early in the season.  They are tough at almost every weight and will score big points.  I don't think X can repeat in fact they might not be the best team in Louisville this year (Trinity and Moore) after the talent they lost.  I believe those three teams wrestle each other during the season so we will know more midway through the year. I see CC and Union top 2 followed by more northern Kentucky team maybe Ryle,WV,SK then the Louisville teams rounding out the top five.  I am curious where the lighter studs for each team will fall and if they will be in the same weight so we can see great finals matches.  I am guessing each of them finds their own weight Boston 120 Blackwell 126 Ervin 132 Fausz 138.  Going to make 113 and 145 fun to watch due to people avoiding those hammers.   

I think the Lampes will have some weights locked up as well interesting to see where Logan Jones / clay Brown end up !!!

Ill take CC of course with a point aspect ATM and Mathews Fausz Turner three football players with LB mentality will be out to score / pin everyone I expect them to score and score a lot and Fausz is incredible I think they are front runners , and CC has a great supporting cast this yr , Hvy has improved

The high school team lost a lot last year and the middle school isn't getting the numbers and quality of kids that they have in the past. Just don't have the tradition down here like you guys, Union, and Woodford. It's hard to get them to understand what it's all about.

Time to think outside the box recruit the younguns and build on them , take your passion for the sport and try to infect your prospects with that and brighten the sport up a but have a camp make it larger than life show them why they should want to wrestle !!!! Takes time I'm sure

Ryle has some real talent but not CC numbers as far as big to bigger guns they could be a big factor in state scoring for sure ,it could come down to who can slow down the big guns , don't see anyone slowing down Shaun or Austin and I don't k ow enough about Eli's weight class to know the depth but he is one heck of an athlete , Meiman will be a factor somewhere for Ryle

Are you sure Boston wrestles 120 at state ??? He is going to college next yr and there is no 120 no real reason to stay 120 , just saying could be a speed bump for Unions run at state Boston might as well be wearing purple and gold , jk

Are we talking Over all state champion team at state? Or small school state champ at state, or state dual state champs (big/ small), or the winner between state dual champs if the even decide to wrestle(the ego dual)???? That gives us what, 5 team champions?

Yes back to Cov Cath I think spatola is there , he is a cool cat :)he will do well talented down to earth and I'm sure he will shoot to have a great team he came from a classy school with a great history in the sport and had a great coach coming up so he knows how its done .

Nick Spatola is a great coach, but he is not on the CCH staff this season.  He would have been a great addition, but it just didn't work out this season.  We do have a very well rounded staff with Alex Smith (Oak Hills), Joe Hunt (Moeller), David DeStefano (Simon Kenton), Kyle Cordsen (Paso Robles CA) and Eric Slugantz (Woodford County)

Brand new program with kids that are brand new to the sport.  This is not a sport that allows instant success, you have to pay your dues.  So it will be some time to develop the talent to be in the State Championship thread discussion.

All good points , best to shoot for region champ wich is just as hard in Cov carbs case , to bad about Sparotola he is a great guy loads if charisma as well as knowledge ,

Lol carbs hahah you can tell its thanksgiving me and the boys at the gym trying to lose some hah

Happy turkey day

Sign in to follow this