Sign in to follow this  
Granby

Team Kentucky National Duals Updates

Up here in beautiful Danville, Il for the National Duals. I will try to update frequently in the next two days. Good luck and safe travels to all the participants.

Kentucky Blue

75 Tylan Tucker (Woodford Co)

80 Blake Roth (Waton Verona)

85 Tanner Yenter (Campbell Co)

90 Brady Wells (Campbell Co)

95 Ryan Moore (Campbell Co)

102 Bryce Sheffer (Union Co)

110 Trent Johnson (John Hardin)

117 Dallas Miles (River City)

125 Bryan Holden (Campbell Co)

132 Jared Branch (Fern Creek)

140 Max Andreoni (Woodford Co)

150 Casey Cornett (Turkeyfoot)

160 Seth Hille (Holmes)

175 Garrett Lawrence (River City)

195 Chance Orr (Paducah Tilghman)

220 Ben Fooks (Boubon Co)

275 Coltyn Keairns (Conner)

Kentucky Red

75 Zach Holub (Turkeyfoot)

80 Clay Fitzhugh (River City)

85 Jordan Hahn (Campbell Co)

90 Brock Whorton (John Hardin)

95 Zane Brown (Shamrock)

102 Mason Smith (Walton Verona)

110 Collin Barrett (Campbell Co)

117 Noah Hammond (Walton Verona)

125 Ryan Woodward (Walton Verona)

132 Diion Leavell (Christian Co)

140 Kadin Kulmer (Shamrock)

150 Trequan Taylor (Christian Co)

160 Chance Lanham (Shamrock)

175 Heath Luttrell (Union Co)

220 Corban Couch (Madison Co)

275 Brendan Sullivan (River City)

Alternate 75 Tom Ketchen-Carter (Campbell Co)

Alternate 75 Shay Horton (Ryle)

Alternate 85 Nate Wheeler (East Oldham)

Alternate 102 Austin Cook (Rivery City)

Kentucky Blue is 0-3 Kentucky Red is 0-2 and wrestling againsf Oregon now.

Kentucky Blue

Ohio Stallions Red 52-20

Illinois Gold 59-15

Indiana Gold 57-10

Kentucky Red

Ohio Stallions Black 93-3

Illinois Silver 80-3

Oregon. Wrestling Now

Welcome to wrestling outside Kentucky and St Paris Graham! Those are some rough scores would love to see how kids are doing individually. If there is anybody undefeated now or any good match ups so far

Also that has got to be a tough pool for team KY never seen Indian gold and Illinois Gold in the same pool

We are in the toughest pool no doubt.

No real way to spin scores like this. We just need to keep wrestling and improve as a state. We will get there.

Now the spin. Kids are wrestling tough, nobody looks out of place, or is getting dominated. We just arent able to pile up wins in bunches or sustain momentum whe we go back to back.

Welcome to wrestling outside Kentucky and St Paris Graham! Those are some rough scores would love to see how kids are doing individually. If there is anybody undefeated now or any good match ups so far

Also that has got to be a tough pool for team KY never seen Indian gold and Illinois Gold in the same pool

Mason Smith

Bryce Sheffer both undefeated I think

Lost once in a close match and lost for a tech violation I think ( look like may have broke the kids ankle )not really for sure what happen

The IKWF guy told me this is the most loaded this event has ever been. When you see IKWF gold and Indiana gold in the same pool that says it all. That along with oh stallions red is no joke.

As mentioned above the scores don't reflect how competitive our kids are. We were not ready for that first dual and wrestled very flat. But competed well against il and in before beating Nebraska blue. We lost a ton of 1 and 2 pt matches with Indiana.

Wanted to thank everyone that participated with team ky. I had a great time getting to know so many different kids, parents, and coaches. A big thanks to Jason Moore for allowing me to be a part of it.

Can't say enough about the heart and determination that the kids showed this weekend. There were a lot of tough matches. I would like to wish them all good luck in the future.

• Upvote 1

I'll work on pulling together some results to post. The easy ones are:

Ky Red AAs: Mason Smith (102) went 8-0 and Brock Whorton (90) went 5-3

Ky Blue AAs: Bryce Sheffer (102) went 7-0 and Tylan Tucker (75) went 6-1 and Coltyn Keairns (275) went 5-2 and Ryan Moore (95) went 4-3

The ky boys owned the 102 weight going a combined 15-0. Bryce was a beast as we all would expect. Even with the ugly draw the blue team had he dominated all weekend. Mason and Tylan definitely stepped it up big time this weekend. Anyone looking to learn some new technique ask Ty to teach you the Tucker cradle.

Welcome to wrestling outside Kentucky and St Paris Graham! Those are some rough scores would love to see how kids are doing individually.

What do you mean by incl St Paris Graham? Seems like an odd statement.

Ranger- I would have to actually speak to you in person about that comment. No way I can put my words into a document format. It would be up there with a rant from Mpire.

On to the actually team- I have some questions about some NKY kids. I spoke briefly with coach Cooper and Jones at Holmes today but how did kids like Wells, Roth, Yenter, and Cornett do? I see that your son went 4-3! Congrat's to that.

Also, who is Tylan Tucker?????? This kid burst on to the scene this year battling Yenter to a 1 point finals match, then goes to Danville and rocks a 6-1 record! Impressive young man! In my past experiences I've never seen a KY kid under 95 pounds ever win more than 4 matches so for him to go 6-1 I want to know where and who he works out with so when I have a little one I can send them there. Awesome job young man!

Pm me what you dont want to post online.

I will post a capsule tonight with records and some biased commentary.

Tucker is a tough Woodford kid. He improved a ton this past yr and prepared for this event by working out at woodford as well as n ky with our tough group of lightweights. Good kid who seems anxious to keep getting better.

We were extremely competitive in that lower half this weekend. The records do not come close to reflecting that because we lost a ton of OT and 1-2 pt matches with many, many calls that went the way of IL or IN kids (one official admitted such when we faced IN gold and determined the outcome of a couple matches). But trust me when I say we are close to breaking through.

"Many calls that went the way of IL or IN kids (one official admitted such when we faced IN gold and determined the outcome of a couple matches)". I, and my son's injured shoulder can attest to that statement...on two occasions. LOL.....

The tournament was a good time and a great experience for my wrestler.  I want to personally thank all the coaches who worked with the kids and the schools that let us use their facilities for practice.  My son gained valuable wrestling experience and made many new friends.  I enjoyed getting to know the parents and rooting for kids from teams that we may not normally root for during the season (fill in the blank with any of several teams).  The parents were great and all were very supportive of the other wrestlers.  

I wish there could have been a couple of tournaments instead of one.  That was a lot of work for one event.  It would be nice if Kentucky could host a national tournament like that (or possibly a smaller warmup for the national dual) for some of the more southern states to attend.  If Texas was any indication, we should wrestle all of the Southern States we can find. 

Kentucky Blue (Coaches Jason Moore, John Roth, Jay Yenter, Jerry Cooper) - team scores don't show it, but these guys were very competitive, getting stuck in a rediculous pool and losing a lot of close matches; the official in the IN Gold dual not only stole a couple matches from us, but I hold personally responsible for some injuries (anyone looking for a prime example talk to Dallas Miles' parents, the kid was allowed to almost snap his arm off)

Kentucky Blue 20, OH Stallions Red (Silver Bracket Champion) 20 - we came out flat and just got beat against these guys

Kentucky Blue 15, IL Gold (Gold Bracket Champions) 59 - we won 3 matches (plus a FF), lost one in OT, another on a late TD, and 3 others by 4 pts; so half of the dual we were right with the best team there

Kentucky Blue 10, IN Gold (5th place Gold Bracket) 57 - official told the table workers he didn't like us and would not give us any calls and it showed, we lost 5 matches by 1 or 2 pts

Kentucky Blue 48, NE Blue Crush 24 - we just started to get warmed up

Kentucky Blue 49, Oregon 30 - came out looking pretty good to start day 2

Kentucky Blue 36, IN Blue (2nd Silver Bracket) 46 - took the lead with 3 matches to go and couldn't pull it out

Kentucky Blue 34, IL Top Dawgs (3rd Silver Bracket) 46 - almost made a nice comeback at the end, but couldn't finish it

Finished 4th in Silver Bracket

75 Tylan Tucker (Woodford Co) - record of 6-1, looked great all weekend; only loss of the event was a decision to IN state champ Alex Mosconi; pinned IL IESA state runner-up, beat Pierandozzi of IL Gold by decision; pinned IN state runner-up, pinned NE kid (I believe this was the match where he demonstrated the Tucker cradle)
80 Blake Roth (Waton Verona) - record of 0-7; wrestled hard all weekend, losing a number of heartbreakers where he had the lead
85 Tanner Yenter (Campbell Co) - record of 0-7; wrestled hard all weekend, losing a number of heartbreakers where he had the lead
90 Brady Wells (Campbell Co) - record of 3-4; lost 1 pt match to IL IESA state champ, was a horrible horrible reversal call from beating IN state champ Breyden Bailey; pinned IN state runner-up Anthony Mosconi, lost by 4 to Mead of OH Stallions Red, pinned NE kid
95 Ryan Moore (Campbell Co) - record of 4-3; lost twice in the OT rideout (bogus escape after the buzzer against IL IESA state champ), beat IN state runner-up Smiley, beat IN 3rd place Luigs
102 Bryce Sheffer (Union Co) - record of 7-0; was amazing all weekend; outscored his opponent something like 59-5 with a couple pins; beat Yahya Thomas of IL Gold 5-0, beat IN 3rd place Weimer 17-3
110 Trent Johnson (John Hardin) - record of 3-4; from what I have seen around the midwest 110 may be the toughest weight class around; a lot of really tough kids around this weight; gave IN state champ Brayton Lee a battle losing 6-4 giving up 6 pts in a 10 second span then a potentially dangerous call prevented back pts that could have won him the match; pinned NE kid
117 Dallas Miles (River City) - record of 2-5; got hurt (shoulder) early on day 1, but battled through it; lost in OT to Cheloni of IL Gold, pinned OR kid; lost a couple of nailbiters
125 Bryan Holden (Campbell Co) - record of 0-7; lost a couple of really close ones on day 1
132 Jared Branch (Fern Creek) - record of 3-4; injured neck in first dual (default); lost a tight one to IL IESA state champ when he didn't get nearfall count on a peterson, pinned IN 3rd place Berkebile
140 Max Andreoni (Woodford Co) - record of 4-3; beat IN state champ Farmer, lost in OT to IN runner-up VanHorn, lost 0-1 to Sternad of OH Stallions Red
150 Casey Cornett (Turkeyfoot) - record of 4-3; lost 8-6 on late TD to Jessen of IL Gold, pinned NE kid, pinned OR kid
160 Seth Hille (Holmes) - record of 0-7; kept getting better as the event went on working out the nerves; had one of the weirdest pins called against him against IL Top Dawgs where the other kid was on his feet and I don't think a TD had even been awarded yet and the official even admitted he had never seen anything like that before
175 Garrett Lawrence (River City) - record of 1-6; good match against IL Gold
195 Chance Orr (Paducah Tilghman) - record of 4-3; big strong kid; weird that he received 2 FFs, but there were a couple of holes early on day 1; pinned IL IESA state runner-up Davis; pinned OR kid
220 Ben Fooks (Boubon Co) - record of 1-6; close 0-1 loss to NE kid gave him some confidence ending day 1, came out and pinned OR kid to start day 2
275 Coltyn Keairns (Conner) - record of 5-2; one loss to OH Stallions Red was due to what was called an illegal move and the kid ended up with a broken leg; after reviewing the video a couple of officials said it was not illegal; lost 1-0 to IN state champ Biddle; pinned IL IESA state champ Leaf, beat Beck of IL Gold 4-1, pinned IN state runner-up Perkins, teched NE kid, pinned OR kid

Kentucky Red (Coaches Efren Quirino, Brandon Cornett, Bo Barrett, Jeremy Rader) - I don't have as many details on the Red team as I was coaching with the Blue team.  Maybe dutch can give us some color commentary.

75 Zach Holub (Turkeyfoot)
80 Clay Fitzhugh (River City)
85 Jordan Hahn (Campbell Co)
90 Brock Whorton (John Hardin) - record of 5-3;
95 Zane Brown (Shamrock)
102 Mason Smith (Walton Verona) - record of 8-0; beat OH 4th placer Brooks of OH Stallions Black
110 Collin Barrett (Campbell Co)
117 Noah Hammond (Walton Verona)
125 Ryan Woodward (Walton Verona)
132 Diion Leavell (Christian Co)
140 Kadin Kulmer (Shamrock)

160 Chance Lanham (Shamrock)
175 Heath Luttrell (Union Co)
220 Corban Couch (Madison Co)

I didn't get the records for the alternates, but I know Tom, Shay, and Nate won matches.  Thanks to Coach Randy Wheeler and Andy Mulcahy for helping to coach Team USA.

Alternate 75 Tom Ketchen-Carter (Campbell Co)
Alternate 75 Shay Horton (Ryle)
Alternate 85 Nate Wheeler (East Oldham)

Alternate 95 Jakob McClintic (East Oldham)
Alternate 95 Braden Mulcahy (Walton Verona)

We would also like to thank all the coaches and parents that made the Team KY weekend so terrific! All our wrestlers worked harder than ever and made us very proud. The competition was tremendous and all KY wrestlers could stand to step up their game to be more competitive with wrestlers from across the country. My son got to know his Team Ky teammates pretty well and those friendships will carry them through the next 4 years in HS wrestling.

Casey Cornett and Max Andreoni both went 4-3 overall

Kentucky Red (Coaches Efren Quirino ,Brandon Cornett, Jeremy Rader, Bo Barrett) It was a tough couple of days for the Red team. All of the kids on the team were making the trip to National Duals for the first time with the exception of one. I can say being a part of it for the 2nd year it is tough. It is really tough on these kids to have so much success during the season and experience two days of wrestling the toughest kids in the country. Most of these kids had very few losses during the season. So usually the second day most of them are feeling discouraged. I can tell you as a coach and a father it is that it is heartbreaking to watch the kids feel so discouraged. I know first hand since last year my son went 0-7. Fortunatley for us the 2nd day a lot of the kids decided to open up and leave it all on the mat. Not one kid quit. It was like a switch went off for a lot of the kids. I notice the guys all on their feet cheering and going crazy for their teammates during and after the matches.

Kentucky Red 3 vs. Ohio Stallions Black 93. I can say I didnt know it was possible to score 93pts in a dual. This was the toughest team in our pool.
Kentucky Red 2 vs. IKWF Silver 80. We actually had 3 but we lost a team pt for a kid taking his singlet down walking off the mat.
Kentucky Red 6 vs. Oregon 81. We had a big win from Diion Leavell. He had a barn burner 13-12
Kentucky Red 21 vs. Texas Black 64. We started out strong with Holub, Fitzhugh,Whorton, and Mason all getting wins. Looked like we were starting to come alive.
Kentucky Red 41 vs. Team USA 36 . A few more guys got a win. Holub,Fitzhugh, Hanh, Mason, Woodward, Lanham. Finally got our first team win.
Kentucky Red 21 vs. Nebraska Blue 55. Wins by Holub, Hanh, Whorton, Mason, Leavell.
Kentucky Red vs. Ohio Titans. Dont have the scores but we tied and ended up with the decision. 2nd team win
Kentucky Red vs. Texas White. We lost by 20 pts but forfeited 3 weight classes.

We were short 3 weight classes to start each dual and lost our 220 the first day due to injury .

75 Zach Holub (4-4) Record- He really came alive the 2nd day. I have to say he is the most flexible kid I have ever seen wrestle. We only received 2 all american plaques as a team. He was 3rd in the voting. Great job!!!

80 Clay Fitzhugh (2-6) Record- Clay is a tough kid. I was talking about his man muscles to the other coaches. lol He had a big pin over the Texas kid.

85 Jordan Hahn (2-6) Record- Jordan started out the 2nd day strong with two wins in a row. He also lost a 6-7 match against the Texas kid.

90 Brock Whorton (5-3) Record- Brock is a stud, he just doesnt know it yet. It started out rough but he turned it on. I dont know what they are teaching at John Hardin but its working. I have a feeling he will be making the trip again next year. Outstanding young man!!!!!!

95 Zane Brown (1-7) Record- he had multiple close matches. Zane had his hand smashed during his match and would not let me stop it. He went back out and finished the match. Heart of a champion.

102 Mason Smith (8-0) Record- I can say big turn around from last year. I was very proud of my son and his approach to each match. I can say the car ride home was much more pleasant than last year. Good job!!!

110 Colin Barrett (1-7) Record- He had the closest matches of anyone on the team. He wrestled his butt off. Finally got one the 2nd day. Out of all the kids I can say I wanted him to win more than anyone. Every match could have gone either way. Good job to Colin and his will to keep fighting.

117 Noah Hammond (1-7) Record- Noah was giving up some size. He is a strong kid. Tough when all the kids are cutting and your 3 pounds under. Way to continue to fight. He is the one kid that goes full speed as soon as they blow the whistle.

125 Ryan Woodward (1-7) Record- Another kid giving up weight. He did have a win over the Team USA kid.

132 Diion Leavell (2-7) Record- He a big win against the Oregon. A big thanks to Mr. Leavell for doing our bout sheets.

140 Kadin Kulmer (0-8) Record- for a 6th grader he is a man. Very strong young man. Im sure he will be making the trip again.

150 FF

160 Chance Lanham (0-8) Record- Wrestled tough all weekend.

175 Heath Luttrell (0-8) Record- Another big guy that lost a couple close ones

195 FF

220 Corban Couch (0-3) Record- had a injury and couldnt continue. Great kid and I hope he recovers soon.

275 FF

Overall I was very proud of these kids. I saw a lot of kids making new friends as well as myself. The kids and the other coaches were a pleasure to be with over the weekend. I am sure many of these kids will be back next year. I think the experience these kids had will carry on with them. Great job to all the kids who represented Ky.

I have video evidence of Zane Brown winning 2 matches! :) :) :)

Was Ky the only teams there that had 6th grade and younger kids on the team?  I think it is great that we have kids that walk out on that mat knowing they are going against some of the best wrestlers in the country. To me that in itself shows the heart and willingness to take a thumping that will no doubt lead to their improvement as not only a wrestler but individuals.

Thank you to all the coaches and staff that made this possible. Thank you to all the parents that do what needs to be done. In our case we have 2 more years to show just how much KY wrestling can improve!

Sorry about the record. I didn't have the bout sheet for the last two. Zane is a hard worker. I have enjoyed the time I have spent with you guys. I will make sure to put his matches on disk. You can grab them the next time you guys come up to train.

Dutch -  Thanks for the roll-up and scores.  I can honestly say that Brock has had nothing but good to say about the experience, the team, and the coaches.  Glad he made the decision at the end to do it. 

Congratulations to all of the wrestlers that competed. Thanks to the coaches that put the time in.  I will make the trip next year. 

• Upvote 1

I have video evidence of Zane Brown winning 2 matches! :) :) :)

Was Ky the only teams there that had 6th grade and younger kids on the team?  I think it is great that we have kids that walk out on that mat knowing they are going against some of the best wrestlers in the country. To me that in itself shows the heart and willingness to take a thumping that will no doubt lead to their improvement as not only a wrestler but individuals.

Thank you to all the coaches and staff that made this possible. Thank you to all the parents that do what needs to be done. In our case we have 2 more years to show just how much KY wrestling can improve!

I predict Zane will be giving far more thumpings there in the future--with all due respect to the level of competition! Just wait until he gets some confidence in his offense.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to the youth wrestlers and to my main man Mason for going undefeated and coming back after a tough loss this past weekend and taking third out West. That's how it's Done .

Can't wait for my little one to get going going to let him go at his own pace for awhile , he says he's wrestling for Woodford and Campbell County not sure how that works but I guess it's all good in youth , next week he may be at Walton or Ryle he likes the Pieate stuff , Campbell County is cool but the Camels thing makes kids shy away ,

There's a team out west called the Camels " purple and gold too saw them online months ago actually saw them wrestle at NHSCA nationals last week , kids should do the middle school tourny there all the KY kids should stick together there its a great experience . Should be a lot more freestyle Greco going on as well and the High Schoolers should be helping out ,