Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

Camp Insight Needed

I have been doing research on camps to send my team to this summer and have come across some pretty interesting findings. On other boards, many people talk about how camps are a waste of money because they cost so much and are geared toward such big groups. One coach went as far to say that the best instruction kids can get is in their own wrestling room where they can get individualized instruction. I know one of benefit of camp is the team building part but this research has really got me thinking about what is best. So Kentucky Wrestling....please share your thoughts. 

Coach McCoy, you may want to take a look at Appalachian St.'s camp. I attended this camp many years ago and it was great back then. When I went, the coach had all of his guys there and used them as camp councillors. This was geared as a team camp. We would have a morning session, then a team dual, an afternoon session, then a dual, and an evening session, then 3 duals. We were getting 5 matches per day. It was a week long camp. Spoke with the coach from Gordon Lee GA., and he said his team goes there every year. They are now back to back State Champs in GA., hard to argue with results.

I have spent a lot of time at all kinds of camps both as a clinician and an athlete.  I am going to list the pros and cons of the two most common types of camps I have attended.

Weekend "power" camps: (better for an individual or a few wrestlers)

Pros:

Affordable for campers (between $100-200)

Short (multi sport athletes, and family vacations in the summer can cause some kids not to be able to attend week long or longer camps.  Also, lets face it some kids are just not ready for a week long camp).

Usually one clinician pushing their style and mind-set on the sport (throwing tons of moves/ philosophies out there is not always the best for the wrestlers)

Cons:

Cost of clinician for host school (high profile clinicians can be very expensive $500 and up, personally witnessed $2200 for one day!)

Clinician to wrestler ratio (depending on the host school and their ability to provide reputable help to the Main clinician it could be a 100 athletes to 1or 2 coach ratio).

One clinician pushing their style (some wrestlers might not fit the mold or have the same style as the clinician so they might only pick up one or two things they "might" try).

Limited number of partners (small weekend camps fewer wrestling partners)

Week long camps:  (better for a whole team or several kids from a team)

Pros:

Several different Clinicains (this allows a wrestler to pick up several philosophies and techniques)

Wrestler to coach ratio (most week long camps, such as those at a college or university require there entire team to be there to help out with the camp)

Many partners (usually but not always these types of camps allow for a larger number of campers increasing the odds of a few good partners to wrestle).

Cons:

Cost (these camps usually run any where from $200-600 depending on accomadations and length)

Length (could be hard to get some of your less committed guys to spend a week at a wrestling camp)

Quality of clinicians (at a lot of these week long college camps there is one marque clinician who is there for a day and then the rest of the time it is the college wrestlers running the technique sessions ((don't get me wrong most college athletes are very qualified, but some aren't)).

Distance (very few of these camps are within "daily" driving distance from say lexington ky pushing the price up because of teh cost of staying at the camp or a surrounding hotel).

In my perosnal opionion the best thing you can do for any wrestler is to get them on the mat.  If that means as a coach you stay after school for a few hours each day, or you come back at 6:30 and open the room, thats what you do.  The way SK, WV, WoodC, and St. X, have open mats is great and if several schools could get together and map out a schedule for each night of the week, our athletes could wrestle everynight!

My sons went to a camp at UTC, university of tenn. chatanooga.They offer different types of camps at the same time,technique,team and intensity.The intensity camp is 8 days long and pushes them to their limits.My sons had a higher threshold for work and intensity after doing the camp.They may have website with details.They provided 3 meals and a dorm room for campers last year.

Any of the Pennsylvania camps are where it's at IMHO. Clarion, Lock Haven, PSU, Lehigh etc. It's still hard for me to admit being from Ohio, but the "Pennsylvania" style is the best. You can get top notch instruction in many camps, but the competition in Pa is what's so unique.

• Upvote 1

I like the camp format simply because it shows a wrestler different styles and gives them different training partners instead of those you practice with or compete with in-state.  I went to six different camps in the summer after my junior year and my parents said I came back a different person.  Something for a wrestler to keep in mind is what they're looking for.  Don't go to a technique camp looking to wrestle live all the time.  Don't go to a training/intensity camp unless you are either preparing for Fargo or just like to battle and train every day.  For the serious high school wrestler I recommend two of each during the summer if possible for a good balance.

The best value a Kentucky wrestler can find is Joe Carr's camp in Versailles.  He is by far the best technician in the state, along with his son, and his personality works great with motivating and inspiring competitors.  At less than $100 you are getting world-class technique dirt cheap. (1 week, technique)

For an elite wrestler or two you should check out J Robinson's camps.  I have personally never been but have talked to people from all around the country and everyone says the same thing.  Unless you are already ranked top 5 in the country, which nobody in our state is I believe, then you will come back not only a changed wrestler but a changed young man as well.  Part of this has to do with the length; a whole month is more like boot camp. (1 month, intense/training)

For the money Granby may be the best national camp in the country, assuming the Martins are still running it.  They teach great, solid technique that will fit everyone's style.  Their attention to detail is great and they review things over and over again. (1 week, technique)

Chertow, while annoying and pompous, does run very good camps.  The price is high but he does put you up in a hotel instead of a college dormitory.  He also brings in some of the best clinicians and his normal counselors are very knowledgeable. (various lengths, technique or intense/training)

Campbellsville has a nice camp, is local and pretty cheap.  Franky James obviously shows solid stuff that will work for everyone.  He also impressed me with some tricks here and there that often simplify techniques or show someone how to counter a specific move. (1 week, technique)

For juniors and seniors looking to wrestle in college I encourage you to attend the camp of a university you are interested in.  This helped me in getting to know the coaches better and seeing the campus personally and not on a guided tour.

Check out the all results camp flyer I posted. I learned a TON working with Greg strobel, Zeke Jones gable, duroe and many other top Olympic caliber coaches. Naples me Fchs dead lift can all speak that this camp is a darn good deal.

Check out the all results camp flyer I posted. I learned a TON working with Greg strobel, Zeke Jones gable, duroe and many other top Olympic caliber coaches. Naples me Fchs dead lift can all speak that this camp is a darn good deal.