Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

FARGO

Where are there training opportunities for Freestyle and Greco at in Ky and will the Carrs be running training for Fargo or freestyle and Greco at their new club. I hear they were excellent in those styles and could help kids in the state make a jump in those styles ,

To much talk about it being eliminated from the Olympics not nearly enough about actually wrestling an training KY kids in those styles !!!!

Taylor County's club team will be doing freestyle/Greco training and traveling to FS/GR events in KY, TN, IN and OH. Former Campbellsville University wrestlers will be doing the training.

Ok I'm geographically lost , where is Taylor county ???? Interested in a 220 tagging along and do you have coaches who will be going with the club team ,

• Upvote 1

The Kentucky Freestyle and Greco Roman State Tournament will be held on April 13 at Fern Creek in Louisville (Folkstyle & Sombo will also be offered).  Anyone interested in wrestling either of these two styles should attend.  I realize that there may be a conflict with the Team KY National Folkstyle Duals in Indiana that weekend.  I would suggest that if a wrestler is not participating in that event, they should come to Louisville on that weekend to wrestle.

Anyone interested in attending Fargo in July or the Central Regionals in May should plan on attending.  A flyer for the tournament will be posted next week.

The location & date was decided on last April with Fern Creek.  There were issues with securing a venue last year & much thanks to Fern Creek for agreeing to host last year & again this year.  If there are wrestlers who want to qualify for Fargo, they can still qualify by attending the Central Regional Tournament in Indianapolis the weekend of May 18.

In order to be eligible for the  Freestyle & Greco Roman National Team you will be required to attend the Kentucky  Freestyle & Greco Roman state tournament!!

The wrestlers that are participating in the Brute Scholastic Showcase will be granted pardon to this requirement!! If you are not there you better be at Fern Creek High School!!

However all Fargo participnats on the National team will be required to participate at Central Regionals.

More info will follow.

All of my contact info is listed on my profile if you have any questions. You can also PM me.

Jon Carr

Ky National Team

Some questions ,

1 does placement at the state freestyle Greco tournament have implications for criteria in seeding at Fargo ???

2 Do state champs automatically get a spot on the team like other states champs do .

3 , Never heard of a requirement of doing a regional in order to make a states team , a good idea it seems because a high placing at a regional probably is used for seeding criteria at Fargo , but it does not seem appropriate that it is a requirement ,

That said , could doing more than one regional or placing in more than one raise a wrestlers seed or add to his seeding criteria , it seems like it could or would .

Yes regional placement does help your seeding. The reason for requiring regional participation is that most of the kids that I see going, will not be at the state tournament(National Duals). And our state does not have many freestyle/greco tournaments. And I would like to have a lot more competitive mat time than in the past, especially in the event that we are able to put together a dual teem and go to Junior Duals.

I would also recommend that we go to southeast regional. As things progress I will have more info.

Sounds awesome , and it seems like there would be more fr gr tourneys I saw the USA list and was surprised most are folk style tournaments duiring fr gr season , it just seems that going from little to no regular in state tournys straight into regionals is a big jump , it would be nice for everyone to hit lower level tournament or a few before regionals perhaps with yourself or some of the other coaches in order to get an idea of what everyone needs to work on the most or where they stand . Indy or Ohio .either way any info on possible

Fr gr practices would be helpful , it would be nice to get some work in with the coaches who will

Be there in Fargo ,

thanks

KY has always had trouble with FS and GR wrestling.  Kids in KY don't want to wrestle it.  That is why there are so many folk style tourneys in ky.  When there is a FS tourney not many show up.

Should be a good team this yr I heard Boston might give freestyle a go I think Ky has a shot at some AA s ,will there be or could there be a week camp somewhere , perhaps the boys could camp out at Woodford :) or something , not bashing but Ohio has an incredible Fargo Camp , it would be great to see Ky put something like this together and have some kids come even if they are not going to help those who are or help their chances in the future , the first step to saving an Olympic sport would seem to be increasing the awareness and athletes participating in it ,

I hear PH is thinking of giving Fargo a shot , nice to see kids thinking about stepping up nothing ventured nothing gained , I have seen some kids who could do well out there some in Greco others in free but you never know till you try , 2and two in Fargo is as good as a state title honestly most states only have their top two kids at a certain weight and a few regional placers who are all usually kids capable of placing at any state tourny , but there are a lot of kids out there who just get on teams that are not world beaters some kids are filling spots on big name state teams with some criteria seeding points a kid could get a nice run going and place but its a different world than even a state tourny , I saw one of the best wrestlers in Ohio a four time placer and multiple x champ go out there four times and never place !!! It's tough beyond description , also the funnest tournament I think I have ever seen as far as kids go they love it , other than getting beat up its a good time ,

As far as any questions about who is who in the sport or state as far a wrestling goes , simply look at how they did or do at Fargo or if they even go , as for money and excuses , I don't buy into it , I went out there and camped out in a car for a week to watch my boys wrestle and saw ATM make money while he was there lol , kids bring old singlets shoes headgear shirts and buy sell trade for others that are rare where they are from its a good time for kids , but I would stay focused keep the trading and playing for when and if you get knocked out , if you can go even just once and could only win one match there I would say do it , nothing like it in the sport .

I hear PH is thinking of giving Fargo a shot , nice to see kids thinking about stepping up nothing ventured nothing gained , I have seen some kids who could do well out there some in Greco others in free but you never know till you try , 2and two in Fargo is as good as a state title honestly most states only have their top two kids at a certain weight and a few regional placers who are all usually kids capable of placing at any state tourny , but there are a lot of kids out there who just get on teams that are not world beaters some kids are filling spots on big name state teams with some criteria seeding points a kid could get a nice run going and place but its a different world than even a state tourny , I saw one of the best wrestlers in Ohio a four time placer and multiple x champ go out there four times and never place !!! It's tough beyond description , also the funnest tournament I think I have ever seen as far as kids go they love it , other than getting beat up its a good time ,

I cant remember 100%, but i think i read somewhere that j jaggers did not place at fargo until his senior year at fargo, and he was an ohio 4xer, and two time ncaa champ. Just shows how truly tough it is

During our Thoroughbred camp, we will be running optional Freestyle practices following the afternoon session.  Our clinicians will include Cary Kolat, Alan Waters (currently #1 ranked 125 D1), Caleb Ervin, Zane Richards, Al Sears, Isaac Knable, myself, and a couple more.