Sign in to follow this  
J.W.

Weight classes and weigh ins in youth wrestling

The comment you are wanting facts to was an example of a blind assumption to Steder saying that I could blindly make assumptions as he has said that others only want weight classes for their own parent ego. Get it now! Both comments don't carry water because they are more opinion based comments.

As far as cutting for 10%, one of your coaches was sharing the results of the medal weigh-ins with a parent from another team at a Ryle practice or open mat - not sure of the details. Were there kids heavier on tournament day than the weight submitted 10 days prior?

So you were being sarcastic and giving opinions at the same time as you were telling everyone else to only posts facts...got it.

So you were being sarcastic and giving opinions at the same time as you were telling everyone else to only posts facts...got it.

Yes and it was obvious that is what I was doing.  See the bold print from the quote. 

I can say that the only reason anyone wants to not have weight classes is so they have a better chance for their kid to win a state championship.  Probably not a 100% true statement - but some facts to that.

Take the entire statement and place it in the context of the conversation, not just pick and choose a partial statement to attempt to attack a person.  

I'll weigh in on this topic LOL! It's wrestling, there are factors outside of every coaches control. In my opinion, wrestling is supposed to have set weight classes. It is also my opinion that no matter what you do, kids are going to cut weight. A kid in tune with what's going on will figure out that the high school kid he looks up to cuts weight, so should he. Is what it is. My son has wrestled for 6 years. I let him make some of his own decsions. If he wants to cut 3-4 pounds and miss a dinner on Friday night, that's up to him. Blast me if you want, just telling the truth, which a lot of people on here have a hard time doing. Oooops, that last statement was an opinion, not a fact. Wink wink.

• Upvote 1

This is a simple fix with a little work from the people putting on the meets.  All you have to do is use Track and have your weigh-ins as close to the meet as possible and faxed or emailed to meet location.  Then you can build your brackets and verify all wrestlers weights and age at check in before meet. Yes this will take  some time but with alittle planning it could flow easy and rather quickly.  You could set it up with a couple different scales and do by name by age or how you think works best.  Track makes it very easy to change brackets if something has changed or if someone lied.  If you find a pattern with some team or school they can be disallowed to compete.  Parents will put a stop to the coach who is doing this pretty quick after showing up to a meet and their kid not being able to wrestle.  Also if you have your weigh-ins 2 weeks in advance of the meet things are going to change because these are kids and are going to grow but there should not be a big difference.  This is just my opinion and sorry for being so long.

Weighins with track is very easy.  We input our weighins into trackwrestling as each kid physically steps on the scale.  There is no need to fax or email the weights because you type them into track and its done.  Use the dashboard and the tournament results are immediate also.  Have the results for the KY Youth State Tournament been posted yet?

You could do the weigh-ins and if you are worried about having "honest" weigh-ins then just have each school/club have present another represenative from another school/club while doing the weigh-ins along skin check with an official.  You could do it a few days before state just like you do for regions.  But instead of having each team show up at the same time and wait for their entire team to show up just let the kids weigh-in as they get there or have a set time for each team.   This way we know each kid has at least kept at that weight for a few weeks instead of doing a drastic weight-cut and then bulking up again.  As far as set weight classes again it becomes such a big difference between brackets.  So unless KY is going to start doing like OH youth does and make kids qualify at Regionals then you would have such a huge variance between brackets.  I agree with MLee before we go changing things we need to see the cold hard facts and #'s before you start something new.  And get it approved with a quorum and implemented and communicate it in a proper amount of time not at the last minute. 

I agree 100% that the weigh ins need to be done closer to the event and standardized across the state. It is unacceptable to have teams weighing in themselves with no regional delegate and certified referees. We should have 4 satellite weigh in locations at most two days prior to the tournament.

Your example of weight cutting with 10% is certainly possible, but very unlikely. Weight cutting is almost never done to gain a weight advantage over competition. It is usually done to fit into a lineup (of set weight classes) or to either dodge or, in the case of Louden Swain, chase competition. You proved my point with the middle school comparison.

I sure hope you don't know of any 58 lb kids cutting 5 pounds for a youth wrestling tournament! That's a ton of weight for a kid that small and presumably has low body fat. No way we'd let a kid wrestle if we knew he was doing that.

Awesome! Why don't you bring those studs over to the Raiders? Conner is gaining on us...we need to start recruiting!!!

You are not taking our Cougars Raidercoach!!!!

Awesome! Why don't you bring those studs over to the Raiders? Conner is gaining on us...we need to start recruiting!!! :rolleyes:

Yes and it was obvious that is what I was doing. See the bold print from the quote.

I can say that the only reason anyone wants to not have weight classes is so they have a better chance for their kid to win a state championship. Probably not a 100% true statement - but some facts to that.

Take the entire statement and place it in the context of the conversation, not just pick and choose a partial statement to attempt to attack a person.

What are your "some facts to that"? I don't believe you have ANY facts to that statement. You preach to people about only stating facts, yet you post this accusatory OPINION in the same post.

Zaniac, if you are talking about the No-Ox Belt series, the schoolboy division will wrestle in the morning session. If your are not talking about the belt series never mind. The original flier was wrong.

Zaniac, if you are talking about the No-Ox Belt series, the schoolboy division will wrestle in the morning session. If your are not talking about the belt series never mind. The original flier was wrong.

Yes Im a moron... and thanks for the quick reply!

What are your "some facts to that"? I don't believe you have ANY facts to that statement. You preach to people about only stating facts, yet you post this accusatory OPINION in the same post.

"Probably some facts to that" - these are posts that very much elude to the probably that were made in this forum alone. 

March 3 @ 1038 pm - I think it is pretty cool to have so many state champs and so many state place winners. I think it really encourages the kids to continue wrestling if the go to state and place.

March 4 @ 627 am - I have no issues w/ handing out more medals to our youth kid

March 4 @ 805 am - most kids and families love our state tournament the way it is now.\

March 4 @ 1002 pm - I believe one way to get more kids out is to have a lot of kids placing in what is perceived by these kids and these communities as big tournaments.

And i don't have a problem with any of their opinions.  Just mine and some others opinions differ. 

"Probably some facts to that" - these are posts that very much elude to the probably that were made in this forum alone.

March 3 @ 1038 pm - I think it is pretty cool to have so many state champs and so many state place winners. I think it really encourages the kids to continue wrestling if the go to state and place.

March 4 @ 627 am - I have no issues w/ handing out more medals to our youth kid

March 4 @ 805 am - most kids and families love our state tournament the way it is now.\

March 4 @ 1002 pm - I believe one way to get more kids out is to have a lot of kids placing in what is perceived by these kids and these communities as big tournaments.

And i don't have a problem with any of their opinions. Just mine and some others opinions differ.

You just listed a few people's opinions about ONE thing they like about our state tournament. You claimed you had facts that this is the ONLY reason why some people would want to have 10%. Again, you don't have any facts supporting that anyone ONLY wants 10% so their kid can have an easier state tournament. There is a huge difference in what you are concluding and what these posts you are quoting are stating.

I am in the camp that believe the more state qualifiers, placers, etc. the more interest our sport will have. However, my reason for liking 10% rule has nothing to do with making the state tournament easier for kids to win state. Furthermore, I don't think you can even conclude 10% makes a bracket easier or harder. The only thing that would make the brackets tougher is to make them bigger, which you could still do with 10%.

The Kentucky Youth Tournament of Champions is available for registration on trackwrestling.

It is set-up with USA weight classes. Depending on the number of wrestlers it may move to the 10% and brackets may go into a round robin.

Let's be flexible, work together and do whatever needs to be done to promote our sport and give kids opportunities.

Remote weigh-ins so far include only:

Trinity on March 28 from 5:30 - 7:00PM

St Xaiver on March 28, from 5:30 - 7:00PM

Taylor County HS on March 28, 6:00PM

Who else can step up?

I could probably have one from Johnson Central but it would only have one kid at it...Blue...lol I don't know of any other kid from the eastern part of the state attending. We may have a couple more but I doubt it.

Bluesdad, what happened to David W from Johnson Central? He was in my sons weight class last year and he's been looking for him all year.

He moved back to Ohio but I look forhim to be back maybe next year.

I watched your son last weekend he and Blue were on the same mat. He's a pretty impressive lil guy.

Thanks. He was really hoping to wrestle with David. He wanted to use that as a measuring stick for how much he has improved.

We are trying to decide between the last belt series and AAU Nationals. He just doesn't have enough kids in his bracket to get the pins he needs.

That's the same thing I'm trying to decide with Blue. I know Blue and your son are tied in points but 1 pin behind. I'd love for Blue to be able to make 70 or the Hobbes I think is his name from Larue kid to bump up( he looks like a big 70 anyway) so they can wrestle. Blue weights about 73lbs and I won't cut him. But he has been sick since last Thursday with a stomach virus that is making him light. I know Blue has had 8 and 6 in his bracket the last 2 weeks. If he can get 3 matches I think he can pull it off but who knows. it's actually closer for us to go to Kingsport also so I've got a tough decision.

Yeah David is a tough lil wrestler. He was Blues partner every day Blues first 2 years he wrestled. Blues just always been a little big for David strength wise.

Blaine is also considering bumping up 3 weight classes to 70, but that is his friend. He's just not that cut throat yet. He will most likely only have one other kid in his bracket this week so he'd have to bump to stay in the running.

We will see.

Uh oh the post police is here..lol. I was ask a question and it spontaneously grew into a few responses that didn't hurt anything. But there always has to be one in every thread I guess.