Sign in to follow this  
HWT

Heavyweight Camp

Just curious as to how many coaches or parents would be interested in sending their heavyweight to an in state heavyweight camp. Want to make sure there is enough support before I drum up the resources and start organizing one. Let me know by PMing me or commenting on here!

• Upvote 1

When you talk about heavyweight, what weights would be considered hvy??? 182 up? or true hvy? i do love the idea of working the big boys.

I was thinking 220 to 285 or sticking to true heavies. I think competitively those classes need the most improvement- mainly the true heavies. If interest for a heavy camp is for 182 and up we will roll with it.

• Upvote 1

Debating that still. I would say it depends on where the most interest comes from. I'd like to keep it centrally located for convienance but it depends on facility availability. Lexington or Louisville was my initial idea.

Really , you think 220 needs improvement ????? A 220 won hvy and a few of the placers at 220 won numerous tournaments outside of the state , hvy needs improving , 220 in Ky was solid as any in the state , ATM , Bryant , And some of the other placers all won tournaments outside of KY !!!!Thompson dropped from 220 placed well at 195 , other than Bryant and Maines most were not srs as usual though .

I in now way mean it towards say the top 8. I saw several 220's at state that looks like they could use a camp or two this summer to solidify basics. The core group of 220;s is extremely tough, I was just generalizing.

A good point but I think a lot of classes are like that ,they seem to drop off after the top kids ,our reg had three placers at 220 all of whom had done well duiring the yr outside of the reg and state. And other regions had 220s do the Same , not sure about h Hvys but there are some young "pun intended " talented hvys ,a good idea having a hvy camp for sure but as for just hvys or 220s and hvys I don't think it would work 182 up for numbers bodies and that style would be best

A good point but I think a lot of classes are like that ,they seem to drop off after the top kids ,our reg had three placers at 220 all of whom had done well duiring the yr outside of the reg and state. And other regions had 220s do the Same , not sure about h Hvys but there are some young "pun intended " talented hvys ,a good idea having a hvy camp for sure but as for just hvys or 220s and hvys I don't think it would work 182 up for numbers bodies and that style would be best

I can agree, just worried about having enough to fill the room. My ideal camp would be for 220-285.

It would be hard to get that many big boys unless your just trying to keep it at a minimum number , with the lighter guys "just down to 182 " you might add some kids with movement that big guys need to work on and some bigger guys actually have moves and defenses that are useless against some hvys but work on guys their sise or lighter , a room full of just hvys could actually perpetuate some weaknesses , they need to learn to shoot and defend shots do different standups as well as just focus on moves that are primarily big guy moves , movement or the lack of is the reason the hvy class is always weak putting a bunch of kids in a room with only other big kids who do not have different strengths would not help them ,

On a personal note I was surprised at how weak some of the big guys were at what is considered big guy moves , slide byes throw buys pop ups , and throws we're very weak at state , sloppy head and arms and nasty trips were abundant this yr snap downs and simply falling on kids won the majority of hvy matches I saw , kids who have superior brawling / hand fighting skills and a halfway decent shot walked through the bigger weights without being tested , even young who is a young physical phenom did not take full advantage of his sise , he could actually become a great shooter and become better than anyone could imagine his height and reach is superior , he has potential to be a great college hvy , camps would help a kid like him an some of the others tremendously ,

The hvys , should all wrestle Greco , freestyle as well but if a majority of hvys would actually attempt to go to Fargo or go there would be a big jump in the talent level of the bigger kids in the state next yr , win or lose they would

Learn a lot being there and at whatever camps the state puts together for Fargo , a hvy camp such as you are talking about would be excellent warm up for Fargo even for kids lighter than 182 !!!! B

On a personal note I was surprised at how weak some of the big guys were at what is considered big guy moves , slide byes throw buys pop ups , and throws we're very weak at state , sloppy head and arms and nasty trips were abundant this yr snap downs and simply falling on kids won the majority of hvy matches I saw

Exactly why I want to have a camp for them! In 06 Bryan Hall beat the returning state champion with a shot in the semi's. It was beautiful. I remember it clear as day. Several HWT that year moved like the lighter guys. 06 is the farthest back I can recall because it was my first!

I have always said that big guys are able to do much of the same as lighter wt. classes. 

The bitggest problem is getting them to realize it.  I dislike Hwt's that use only throws slide/throw byes and snap downs.  I have taught several Hwts to use a modified firemans.  Once you get a big guy moving its hard for them to stop moving, which is why a firemans work so well. Snatches are also good for Hwts.

If you can get the numbers I believe just having 200+ is ideal.  You can't have a 180 wrestle a 280. 

It would also depend on the type of camp.  If its a technique camp keep the wt as close as possible.  That way they get use to using the move on the larger guys.  If you want to make it a competition camp then you could open it up a little more.

Exactly why I want to have a camp for them! In 06 Bryan Hall beat the returning state champion with a shot in the semi's. It was beautiful. I remember it clear as day. Several HWT that year moved like the lighter guys. 06 is the farthest back I can recall because it was my first!

But wasn't that the only move he tried the whole match?  He tried the same thing in the finals and failed.

You can't have a 180 wrestle a 280 but most hvys are not 280 they fall well below that , and 200 may be ok but that still means its for 220s and up maybe a few 195 , has to be a bit lower having a few skilled lighter weights that can move with some of the 220s would

Only help , either way no one should wrestle with someone 50 lbs bigger its simply dangerous for most even for a Bobby B and ATM it is actually a risk wrestling hvys , if a kid isn't really a decently built 240 , he probably shouldn't wrestle hvy ,

Funny though I bet a lot of hvys shoot for the 285 mark regardless of conditioning just as in most weights kida want to be at the top with good reason usually , not so sure with hvys they change it from a skilled sport to a sise weight competition , I would think a kid like Bobby B winning hvy would send a big message to all the hvys it's not about being the biggest , maybe strongest but not biggest and skill and technique is required . The hvy weight class in KY will be pretty tough the next few yrs I see clashes between Young and ATM for a couple yrs along with the rest at 220 and some studs at 195 who could place at 220 , I think the upper weights are fine maybe not what they could be but looking at the grades of the kids at 220 and hvy Mueller ATM Young all placers as underclassmen , it's not as bad as people think , some hvys just need some camps like being talked about and to hit the gym a bit or risk being beaten by lighter guys who do looking for their thunder ,,

Some pretty accomplished kids in the upper weights in my Trevir Thompson a tournament of champions champ and state placer this yr , ATM a two time champ Mueller a freshman placer at 220 , Connor has a freak on the horizon at hvy a beast 8th grader this yr , Young a fresh runner up at hvy , some talent throughout for sure , but Definatly would be near to get most of em in a room together for a camp , it would be worth watching ,