Sign in to follow this  

Coach Jim Kraeszig

I noticed a number of "congratulations" posts about the St. Xavier championship, but felt it necessary to include the accomplishments of Coach Jim Kraeszig as his involvement in the sport of wrestling may be unknown to some of our younger posters.

Coach Kraeszig was an assistant in the early 1990s when St. X scored -1 team points in the state championships...he has since coached the Tigers to three state titles.  From 1997-2001, his teams, as either the head coach or an assistant, placed either first or second.  Three of those teams are listed on the top fifteen highest point totals for a sixteen man state championship bracket.  After his 2001 championship and Coach of the Year award, he chose to resign to spend more time with his young boys.  At that time, the program changed directions as a new coach took over and began implementing his own style and techniques.  (Which every coach is entitled to do...)  St. Xavier dropped to a consistent top 20 team, but never enjoyed the success of the last few years of Coach Kraeszig's run. 

About seven years ago (maybe more, maybe less), Coach Kraeszig, once again, chose to get back involved as the head coach at St. Xavier.  After increasing student interest in wrestling and bolstering parent support, he has once again coached his team to a championship.  His success at the varsity level has also helped contribute to growth in the River City Wrestling Club.  (Which he started around 1995.)  Rebuilding a program can be difficult, but Coach Kraeszig has proven that he knows what it takes to get the job done.

I am not meaning to put a man on a pedastal, but Coach Kraeszig has been a proven success as a coach and I would not be surprised to see Saint Xavier begin a new season to competing for state championships.  Congratulations once again.

• Upvote 3

I would imagine that having Knable as a coach is a great help.  But do not forget that Coach Kraeszig was his Head Wrestling Coach from 1999-2001...for three of his state titles.  Somebody has to coach Knable to those titles.

• Upvote 2

Not to distract from the great job Coach Kraeszig has done as well as Coach Knable, but I noticed the presence of Coach Quirino on the floor this weekend as well.  He has done a great job with River City.  In my experience working with him at the middle school level I know he fits perfectly in that mold of teaching wrestling, but also teaching the kids to grow up to be great young men off the mat as well.

Not to distract from the great job Coach Kraeszig has done as well as Coach Knable, but I noticed the presence of Coach Quirino on the floor this weekend as well.  He has done a great job with River City.  In my experience working with him at the middle school level I know he fits perfectly in that mold of teaching wrestling, but also teaching the kids to grow up to be great young men off the mat as well.

I have to agree with ranger! Its's a wonderful chemistry those guys have to produce the team you folks witnessed at the tournament! Each one of those Coaches (Kraeszig, Quirino, and Knable) brought something very special to the table to help produce a Team Championship. I wanna thank all 3 of you guys for all that work you put into the St. X program and the care you give the boys!  

• Upvote 2

I absolutely agree Ranger...a head coach is going to have difficulty without a quality staff around him.  I would propose that surrounding yourself with a quality staff is actually one of the best moves a quality Head Coach can make.

• Upvote 1

I have come to know many coaches in this state over the past four years, and Coach K is toward the top of my list as far as respect is concerned.  He is a wonderful coach and father who exhibits Christian values, and is incredibly dedicated and hard working.  I ALWAYS smile when I see him at a tournament because I know we are going to have a great battle and, at some point, a great conversation.  Coach K is a humble man whom I greatly admire.  I look up to him quite a bit and always enjoy picking his brain. 

I really do not enjoy losing at all, but if I MUST lose to someone, Coach K is well deserving.  Congratulations and we look forward to having you and your boys down here again this summer!

• Upvote 3

I couldn't agree more.  I do not want anyone to take my listing of the accomplishments of Coach K as a slight toward the contributions made by Coach Knable or Coach Q.  Coach K would probably be the first to note that the championships are the result of the hard work put in by the kids, parents, coaches and alumni.  It is just exciting to see a coach help build a program to prominence and then help rebuild it over a decade later.   

I have to agree. I've only spoke to the man in passing a couple times but have heard nothing but respect and admiration of virtually everyone that comes in contact with him. He portrays everything you would want in a coach. I really got a kick watching him and his staff celebrating during the semi matches. I became a even bigger fan of st x wrestling this weekend. Well done in representing the state and how it should be done.

• Upvote 1

My son was Blessed by having those three Men be part of his life. The lessions they taught him will extend far past wrestling and will benefit him the rest of his life. From a very thankful Father, Thank you Gentlemen for being a part of our lives.  

• Upvote 2

I remember one day Coach K had told some of us about something he had said in class that really stuck out to me. He said he had asked the class what day of the week most ppl dreaded, and of course all the kids answered Monday. He then asked the class what day of the week most ppl looked forward to, and you guessed it, they all answered Friday. After that he told the class that all the days of the week were the same for him, and he never felt as if his job was what we call "work" because he genuinely enjoyed what he does. His goal was to help those young men discover what they enjoyed doing (also what they dont enjoy) before they got to college so they can be not only successful at what they do, but also be happy doing it. These are the type of things that he does for these young men that goes above and beyond what most ppl see.I wish my son could have him as a teacher for all four years, but if not I guess we will be happy having him for a coach for those four years. Thanks Coach K.