Sign in to follow this  
fanofwrestling6

MOW for state ?

That's a nice formula , care to explain your pick lol

Stephen wrestled Cooper twice ,don't see how beating a two time state champ twice hurts you ?

I will add another criteria Shared opponents!

Brock lost to Joey Dance , Stephen went 2 and one with him losing and winning by one and beating him 6-1 their last match . The only other I can think of is TJ and Stephen hammered him far worse than Brock . Highest ranked when were and by who I saw rankings switch all yr , but hey it's your state nice throwing in all three union studs , and no Austin is the highest ranked kid in the state and has the longest winning streak and the biggest wins on a national level , but Brock is good I like him a lot. Maybe everyone else's time will come when Austin graduates .

As for real rankings that intermat crap and all those other rankings that dads and coaches call in for do not really stack up to real body's of work. Brock and Stephen were both short changed this year and their bias means nothing , an as for history no kid in the state right now has wrestled and beaten anywhere near the caliber of kids Stephen has and i would say no one ever has in season or out , not even close , you simply chose to see what you want .

• Downvote 1

MOW !   Most Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament being wrestled. No criteria needed. The coaches vote on it. My son, my wrestler,my whatever didnt win because of this, this, or this.  Always a reason or excuse. Who ever gets it earns it.

• Upvote 3

Three is spot on! Get over it Mpire....or hire another campaign manager. If a kid grinds through a tough bracket with a lot of studs, or upsets someone along the way and stands on the highest podium it's a well deserved MOW. Last year with Fahy, and next year with Brock....those become more political, but those are rare and need to be recognized. 220 is a weak class and that's a fact and a knock on Austin for your campaign to get him an MOW.

• Upvote 4

Funny i watched Kevin and Stephen outperform Fahy last yr ,and saw a freshman beat a returning champ and 6 other srs at a weight never won by a freshman before and seldom ever is ,same people like you saying it was a weak class NEWSFLASH his class will always be weak because people will run just like they do and always have from Stephen just like last yr ,

and no whoever gets it does not earn it whoever the coaches want to have it gets it ,whoever gets fastest pin earns it or is lucky whoever gets most pins in least time is a beast and earns it ,and if some stud gets both hes probably the most dominant wrestler in the tournament like last yr :)

I like Brock Kevin and Jayce all multiple x champs and some bias group of people  may come up with an excuse for Austin not to ever win it despite him going where no wrestler has gone before ,in his case it doesn't matter hes beyond it and will bring more props to KY wrestling and his school  than anyone before him,a number 1 ranked soph and fresh wrestler in the nation who beat all comers in two states this year in dominating fashion , i dont think he needs to worry about the OW ,sure he would quickly hand it over to his Brother or maybe not ,Fahy won because of his past accomplishments certainly not his class or performance in it and perhaps some good ole boy elbow rubbin ,Still he was deserving on the criteria they say they went by last yr ,may not matter half those picked could be beaten even Stephen but not likely ,

funny JCB picks Brock but then says if Stephen or him are upset that person would win ,I bet if Meiman beats Canter many would vote for him ,yet ATM bets Newberry soundly and didnt have a chance LOL .

of course if i shut up and didnt raise a fuss it would probably be better or maybe not ,either way to those interested every yr just before state there is always subtle little posts and not so subtle little posts trying to pump up or put bugs in peoples ears to help a certain kid "EARN " a MOW or OW ,

As i said the most valuable wrestler in the state as well as the one who has been most dominant and beaten the best comp is a no Brainer .

but he couldnt be a 5 or 6 time champ because he wasnt in KY , He was in Ohio wrestling what was probably the toughest class in the nation in any state and beating nearly every one in it then scattering his comp and walking through ,almost as easy as he did last yr ,

Had Kevin beaten Stephen twice no one would be having this conversation every single coach in the state would be saying Kevin will be MOW without question ,look in your mirrors

Harrison Courtney won it his Junior year and not his Senior year when he took his 4th State title. It went to a kid with a broken hand and a wicked duck under that no one could stop. Not always a good old boy decission. Career wise MOW went to Courtney. State tournament wise it went to the kid that "earned" it.  Justin Davis from Eastern

Funny i watched Kevin and Stephen outperform Fahy last yr ,and saw a freshman beat a returning champ and 6 other srs at a weight never won by a freshman before and seldom ever is ,same people like you saying it was a weak class NEWSFLASH his class will always be weak because people will run just like they do and always have from Stephen just like last yr ,

and no whoever gets it does not earn it whoever the coaches want to have it gets it ,whoever gets fastest pin earns it or is lucky whoever gets most pins in least time is a beast and earns it ,and if some stud gets both hes probably the most dominant wrestler in the tournament like last yr :)

I like Brock Kevin and Jayce all multiple x champs and some bias group of people  may come up with an excuse for Austin not to ever win it despite him going where no wrestler has gone before ,in his case it doesn't matter hes beyond it and will bring more props to KY wrestling and his school  than anyone before him,a number 1 ranked soph and fresh wrestler in the nation who beat all comers in two states this year in dominating fashion , i dont think he needs to worry about the OW ,sure he would quickly hand it over to his Brother or maybe not ,Fahy won because of his past accomplishments certainly not his class or performance in it and perhaps some good ole boy elbow rubbin ,Still he was deserving on the criteria they say they went by last yr ,may not matter half those picked could be beaten even Stephen but not likely ,

funny JCB picks Brock but then says if Stephen or him are upset that person would win ,I bet if Meiman beats Canter many would vote for him ,yet ATM bets Newberry soundly and didnt have a chance LOL .

of course if i shut up and didnt raise a fuss it would probably be better or maybe not ,either way to those interested every yr just before state there is always subtle little posts and not so subtle little posts trying to pump up or put bugs in peoples ears to help a certain kid "EARN " a MOW or OW ,

As i said the most valuable wrestler in the state as well as the one who has been most dominant and beaten the best comp is a no Brainer .

but he couldnt be a 5 or 6 time champ because he wasnt in KY , He was in Ohio wrestling what was probably the toughest class in the nation in any state and beating nearly every one in it then scattering his comp and walking through ,almost as easy as he did last yr ,

Had Kevin beaten Stephen twice no one would be having this conversation every single coach in the state would be saying Kevin will be MOW without question ,look in your mirrors

If Myers and Coopers had  met in the finals and it was a great match the winner would have won the MOW.  We waited 1/2 hour just to watch the cooper /myers match at state duals. Noi i do not believe  Meiman will not get MOW no matter what he does. 

Harrison Courtney won it his Junior year and not his Senior year when he took his 4th State title. It went to a kid with a broken hand and a wicked duck under that no one could stop. Not always a good old boy decission. Career wise MOW went to Courtney. State tournament wise it went to the kid that "earned" it.  Justin Davis from Eastern

It was Mr Wrestling(or something equivelant to Mr Football or Basketball) Courtney got his senior year.That is voted on by the coaches association sometime after the state tournament and it does go to a senior. I think Mitch Ervin got it the following year.He got MOW his jr year for pinning or teching his way through the state tournament

The MOW should go to the wrestler who has the most impressive tournament, not the wrestler with the best career or the wrestler with the best season.  Most impressive is not easily defined, as it could be the wrestler with the most dominating tournament or the wrestler with the most difficult path to the title. I personally think there are many possible winners for MOW at this tournament, with the Myers brothers, Carr, and Ervin at the top of the list.  I can think of a few wrestlers in the past who had a great tournament, but not necessarily the best season or career.

Josh Stepp comes to mind from Sheldon Clark in '99. He had a very tough bracket in which he was dominant, but it was his first state championship and he wasnt even a region champ that season. George King from Union County was a first time state champion in 2000, but pinned everyone in the tournament in the first period. He had a 00:49 finals match!

I hope the wrestler with the most impressive tournament wins the award and politics can be left out of the equation.

As a coach I know I won't vote for kids for MOW who have a dad that gets on a website and tries to build a case for their little johnny.  And then criticizes past selections.  Come on mpire, in the prossional daddy ball league you are like michael jordan, ray lewis, and randy savage all rolled into one. 

All kidding aside, I think ATM pins all the way through his bracket this year, probably all first period pins.  He is an amazing wrestler and a super kid. 

• Upvote 1

You've already tried raising a fuss and blowing up the message boards, if you tried being quiet for a while one of your kids would probably win it.  In my opinion, the only kid in the state who could win MOW besides one of the Myers would be Brock.  If ATM does not pin all the way through, probably all in the first period, I would be very surprised. 

...of course if i shut up and didnt raise a fuss it would probably be better or maybe not....

Billy the kid , with two posts , as a coach , why do you only have two posts ? Lol the point was the maneuvering is obvious each yr you see it , it will go where it goes , and all the first period pins become hard when you see 220 lb instant track stars appear and refs who are hesitant to call stalling in the first period because it Is usually called in the third , and even after it is called it becomes hard to get the consecutive points ,

Very full of piss and vinegar this week 220 will have a much different look this yr the bigger kids are improved as a whole but ATM has settled in to 220 a little he is improved a bit more I think , he will get different partners as he gets ready for NHSCA Ky season ends early and he will get to take advantage of the open mats in OH where they will be gearing up for their state and all

Looking to test themselves against him already being a champ , it works out well he is loose and having fun they are fired up and intense , it pays for him because he is technically better already it's enjoyable to watch , as for the MOW , regions bias and no coach really using the same criteria makes it impossible to judge or pick a kid other than the way the talk is going , people

Believe media over facts at times , had no coach known any kid in the tournament last yr who do you think would have won , an undersised 152 who made everyone else look like 2nd yr youth kids wrestlers And had 4 pins and a tech I would say , but that wasn't the case !!

Before anyone in the state ever saw Austin wrestle they were ready to run because I talked so much garbage because I was ticked from all the you will see talk , the first kid he was ever supposed to wrestle in high school forfeited and bumped to wrestle the heavy , and no one on his team had ever seen Austin wrestle ever ,

Simple word of mouth , but it was smart they won rather than get pinned , the thing is the garbage talk usually gets more than backed up ,

Once people figure out who is who and that hype is real kids run or do something even worse get fired up and actually come out guns blazing wich is even better because anyone who engages with either of my boys is going down quick , no hype no bs just facts , watch any of their matches this or last yr against the top kids , they score immediately , they are sharper and they can watch a kid wrestle one match and almost instantly they know what they are going to do to them , they arre mat generals it is the most impressive thing about them , other than seeing 220 lb kids flying through the air landing already pinned before they are gently landed on the mat. It's flying the friendly skies with a soft touch .

There that's some hype smack talk whatever , and come on man we are in ky no ray Lewis Michael Jordan it's ALI we are talking and as for this sport and state the GOAT is without a doubt going to be ATM it is already the truth people

Just don't want to let go of the last or their current thoughts about anyone wrestling now. Seriously an undefeated 220 lb soph who doesn't hide in the middle of KY and dominated Tournents like GMVA the Rumble and NHSCA nationals , ????

You tell

Me

Is it hype or is it more than legit , look at his past from 1st grade on and you will know the answer , he walked on the mat as a first grader and won state then won it at every level along with a national title as well at every level , Tulsa youth , Iowa Jr High , NHSCA HS , undefeated in season since the sixth grade !! And only losing one match as a seventh grader to A HS kid in an open wrestling both div !! Of course he will lose everyone does if they wrestle tough kids , but no one in the state wrestling right now can or will match his current win streak

, 4 yrs in a row minus a few days undefeated 3 state titles youth jr high and high school a jr High Ow , a youth national title a gold medal in jr high nationals and a NHSCA national title and OW .

Most coaches in the state do not even know anything about half the tournaments he has won and people saying they are not impressed or he hasn't done anything impressive cannot even grasp what he has accomplished in the sport let alone make a choice about if he is or isn't worthy of an OW lol

• Downvote 2

Mpire you have amazing powers of observation. the point I was trying to make it seems to have been missed, is maybe if you just let your kids wrestling do the talking they'd be fine for mow. in my opinion, they are hands down the 2 best wrestlers in the state. Only explanation for not winning m.o.w would be an exceptional tournament by somebody, or that people don't like them for some reason. Only possible reason for that would be your message board rants. but hey, do what you want on here

• Upvote 3

I don't think you can necessarily go back and look at results from 2 years ago to compare wrestlers today. I think Stephen will be deserving as MOW but not based on his results against common opponents of kids in other weight classes. Some kids improve, others regress. A lot of it has to do with which wrestling rooms they're in, coaching etc. Very good chance guys like Justin Lampe and Jayce Carr would smoke the same kids they lost to 3 or 4 years ago.

Mpire you have amazing powers of observation. the point I was trying to make it seems to have been missed, is maybe if you just let your kids wrestling do the talking they'd be fine for mow. in my opinion, they are hands down the 2 best wrestlers in the state. Only explanation for not winning m.o.w would be an exceptional tournament by somebody, or that people don't like them for some reason. Only possible reason for that would be your message board rants. but hey, do what you want on here

Billy you have hit it on the head.  Not one person on here i believe really doubts the talents and accomplishments of Mpires boys.  But they don't want it pushed in their faces everyday on every post even if the post isn't about them or their weight class.  Let their wrestling talk for them, trust me people do know they are outstanding wrestlers, but recognize that this board is about KY wrestling, so their will be other topics.LOL  Is it Friday yet, let the tournament begin 

• Upvote 2

I understand that perfectly , but I also understand and hear things, wether I speak out or not there will always be those who push or put bugs in people's ear to go this way or that , it's a popularity thing you upset people's plans they talk smack you win you step on toes you talk smack you step on more the more smashed toes the more Bs you deal with ,

This very thread and people talking MOW before hand is suspect from the topic , the MOW should go to the MOW of the tournament but it varies from tournament to tournament , Because of Politics . It's obvious they will go by whatever criteria they want and if they choose not to pick someone because a poster on a message board tells it like it is so be it , that's the point choose how you will play it because it will only help or hurt the sport depending on how you do .

Just some observations , not pushing for MOW just about the topic and those being discussed

Pushing for a kid to get OW because his dad is retiring is retarted and Bringing up a close loss to a great athlete but so so wrestler who had close wins against other kids in the same tournament doesn't make much sense either .

Kevin Cooper has done a lot for the sport and in the sport of wrestling in Ky , he seemed to be the first to stand up to and take down the doubters , across the river at least in Cincy , and he has went outside the states borders and represented well in other places also , he does however have a boxy stance and needs to be lighter on his feet while still maintaining a good stance . :)

Brock is incredible and flows very well and can hang with Anyone in the country , he also to needs to work on his stance giving up a head and arm after a super duck attempt tells me he flows to much .

Jayce is very entertaining and talented but has a nose bleed problem and his blue collar image has to go the whole back pack and glasses thing is too boring , he needs some tats a Mohawk to represent his braves and some wrestlerettes to carry his gear then he will be styling ,

Meiman , impressed me by getting Dqued at leagues if you can't beat em thrown in the stands , he must really want it .

Hiero could actually win Ow for his years of perseverance and a close match with Jude if he can win which would have been my pitch for Canter rather than the ignorant hey my dad is retiring so give me an MOW

I can't see anyone in the lighter weights getting it unless there is a huge upset , Or Lawson totally dominates ,

Bryant may actually pin through a not so skilled hvy class but there are some big boys who may slow him down , I see him and Austin having a contest in a contest similar to Kevin and Stephens last yr keeping the pressure on ,

The top teams CC union and X will be hard pressed for points so some kids will be gunning for quick pins leading to possible

Mistakes and kids stalling their buts of .

Meiman is the freshman of the yr if he makes Finals , Austin is a super Soph and Dominic could enter that group if he can beat Coop , Brock Boston and Blackwell are killer Bs and Lampe may dominate 145 .

Stephen and Kevin are Super Srs with possible 3s in their future .

Best matches , Cooper Lampe , Chamberle Mathews if they meet , Stephen and French should be good of they meet as well French has the easier side with only Courtney there who he has beaten already ,

Many possible Ow perhaps some

Low ranked kid will upset everyone and win it ,

I understand that perfectly , but I also understand and hear things, wether I speak out or not there will always be those who push or put bugs in people's ear to go this way or that , it's a popularity thing you upset people's plans they talk smack you win you step on toes you talk smack you step on more the more smashed toes the more Bs you deal with ,

This very thread and people talking MOW before hand is suspect from the topic , the MOW should go to the MOW of the tournament but it varies from tournament to tournament , Because of Politics . It's obvious they will go by whatever criteria they want and if they choose not to pick someone because a poster on a message board tells it like it is so be it , that's the point choose how you will play it because it will only help or hurt the sport depending on how you do .

Just some observations , not pushing for MOW just about the topic and those being discussed

Pushing for a kid to get OW because his dad is retiring is retarted and Bringing up a close loss to a great athlete but so so wrestler who had close wins against other kids in the same tournament doesn't make much sense either .

Kevin Cooper has done a lot for the sport and in the sport of wrestling in Ky , he seemed to be the first to stand up to and take down the doubters , across the river at least in Cincy , and he has went outside the states borders and represented well in other places also , he does however have a boxy stance and needs to be lighter on his feet while still maintaining a good stance . :)

Brock is incredible and flows very well and can hang with Anyone in the country , he also to needs to work on his stance giving up a head and arm after a super duck attempt tells me he flows to much .

Jayce is very entertaining and talented but has a nose bleed problem and his blue collar image has to go the whole back pack and glasses thing is too boring , he needs some tats a Mohawk to represent his braves and some wrestlerettes to carry his gear then he will be styling ,

Meiman , impressed me by getting Dqued at leagues if you can't beat em thrown in the stands , he must really want it .

Hiero could actually win Ow for his years of perseverance and a close match with Jude if he can win which would have been my pitch for Canter rather than the ignorant hey my dad is retiring so give me an MOW

I can't see anyone in the lighter weights getting it unless there is a huge upset , Or Lawson totally dominates ,

Bryant may actually pin through a not so skilled hvy class but there are some big boys who may slow him down , I see him and Austin having a contest in a contest similar to Kevin and Stephens last yr keeping the pressure on ,

The top teams CC union and X will be hard pressed for points so some kids will be gunning for quick pins leading to possible

Mistakes and kids stalling their buts of .

Meiman is the freshman of the yr if he makes Finals , Austin is a super Soph and Dominic could enter that group if he can beat Coop , Brock Boston and Blackwell are killer Bs and Lampe may dominate 145 .

Stephen and Kevin are Super Srs with possible 3s in their future .

Best matches , Cooper Lampe , Chamberle Mathews if they meet , Stephen and French should be good of they meet as well French has the easier side with only Courtney there who he has beaten already ,

Many possible Ow perhaps some

Low ranked kid will upset everyone and win it ,

Mpire I always say if you don't have people hating on you, that means you not doing it well enough.  Your boys are kicking butts and taking names, so they will get their fair share of detractors who don't want them to win.LOL  It doesn't mean you have to feed into them, handle them the way your boys do, kick butts and take names and that's the last on that topic from me.  I look forward to the updates considering i will be out of town this weekend, but my laptop will be handy and i will be watching the finals on ihigh 

• Upvote 1

It does get political and it can definitely be a popularity contest. All the more reason to play nice on message boards in my opinion. Maybe you stir the pot to help fire them up but it doesnt seem like they need that. Atm wrestles like a light to middle weight in a big boys class. That is just about unstoppable. Anyway its just my opinion. I think one of them boys have to be the early favorite for mow. I dont care who gets an upset win. There are a LOT of coaches who never look at these boards. But there are enough that do that if you make a bad impression maybe it pulls a few votes away. From one wrestling dad to another just tone it down a bit brother!!

• Upvote 2